Blackboard - Discussion Board Question-

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gallagb, Aug 17, 2004.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    Many schools (high schools and colleges mostly) are beginning to use a web-based program called Blackboard-
    essentially this program is pretty neat- it allows a lot of course related work (if not entire courses) to be completed online-

my question- is there a program that i could use to partake in the discussion board part of blackboard without 'opening up the web browser and logging in' as i have to do each time i want to check in w/ the Disc. Board-

i realize there are prgms out there to allow me to do this w/ Macrumors and other such Bullitin Boards- but what about BB's Behind password protection?-

any ideas? - i do realize that most folks prolly don't use this web-based softward so thus might not know- but i figured this would be the place 2 ask if anywhere...
  2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    My old college uses this (, and it was nice to use. But I know of no applications that you can use other than a web browser...
  3. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Sorry to hijack this thread but...

What are these programs that you speak of that allow you to view a forum without using the browser?

4. zamyatin macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003
    Unfortunately, I believe that Blackboard was purchased in whole or in part by Microsoft. As a result, it's only compatible with MS Office files (specifically excluding files), along with other secret little Microsoft hijinks. There are open source alternatives to Blackboard, of course! Plone ( is a great option, and there are plenty of others... Hopefully my tired brain is not mixing up this info.
  5. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    i mis-spoke (well- typed) i meant prgms that allow me to browse RSS feeds...etc

i'd LOVE a prgm that would let me browse forums w/o browsers- any one?
  6. darrion macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2004
    I'm currently in a distance learning program through Florida State University. They utilize Blackboard there. I've not had any problems accessing the system with safari or mozilla (when I was using Linux). That doesn't really answer your question, but I'm not aware of any way to access a Blackboard system except through a browser.