Blackboard - Discussion Board Question-

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gallagb, Aug 17, 2004.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

Many schools (high schools and colleges mostly) are beginning to use a web-based program called Blackboard- http://www.blackboard.com/
    essentially this program is pretty neat- it allows a lot of course related work (if not entire courses) to be completed online-

my question- is there a program that i could use to partake in the discussion board part of blackboard without 'opening up the web browser and logging in' as i have to do each time i want to check in w/ the Disc. Board-

i realize there are prgms out there to allow me to do this w/ Macrumors and other such Bullitin Boards- but what about BB's Behind password protection?-

any ideas? - i do realize that most folks prolly don't use this web-based softward so thus might not know- but i figured this would be the place 2 ask if anywhere...
    thanks!

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

My old college uses this (www.svsu.edu, blackboard.svsu.edu) and it was nice to use. But I know of no applications that you can use other than a web browser...

3. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Sorry to hijack this thread but...

What are these programs that you speak of that allow you to view a forum without using the browser?

Mike

4. zamyatin macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I believe that Blackboard was purchased in whole or in part by Microsoft. As a result, it's only compatible with MS Office files (specifically excluding OpenOffice.org files), along with other secret little Microsoft hijinks. There are open source alternatives to Blackboard, of course! Plone (www.plone.org) is a great option, and there are plenty of others... Hopefully my tired brain is not mixing up this info.

5. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

gallagb

i mis-spoke (well- typed) i meant prgms that allow me to browse RSS feeds...etc

i'd LOVE a prgm that would let me browse forums w/o browsers- any one?

6. darrion macrumors newbie

I'm currently in a distance learning program through Florida State University. They utilize Blackboard there. I've not had any problems accessing the system with safari or mozilla (when I was using Linux). That doesn't really answer your question, but I'm not aware of any way to access a Blackboard system except through a browser.