Blackbook CD for $999?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, Jan 14, 2007.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

CompUsa in my area has Blackbooks Core duos new on clearance for $999 + tax. Good price? What does everyone think?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

3. buffalo macrumors 65816

$999 is the price Apple wants for a refurb black MacBook, so $999 at Compusa for a new one is a good deal.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Third-ed. I'd jump on that deal.

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

I was just looking at my local CompUSA's blowout deals page and they have a white 2.0GHz CD MB for $899 - same price as a refurb...

It's very tempting. If only I could get my parents to support this purchase.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That is also a good deal buffalo, best of luck on convincing your parents. :)

7. buffalo macrumors 65816

Well I do have the money and could go out and buy it, but I do agree with them that it's a totally unnecessary purchase. I already have an iMac (G5) and have been lusting over a MacBook for a while. It would be nice to have, but is probably 90% (or more) want.

8. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Do it!
    Do it!

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I totally didn't need my Macbook either, it was entirely an impulse purchase. But a fun one nonetheless.

10. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I did jump on it and just got back from Compusa with it. Just setting it up now restoring it. Its flawless no dead pixels. I live 1 hour away from Compusa and I called on it. On Friday they said they had 2. Today they didn't seem to know about any. Made 3 separate calls until I found someone who said yes they had them. So they held it and I went for it. Seems like a good deal and I can use it when I can't take my 17" big boy with me:)

11. tundotcom macrumors member

Just curious, but which CompUSA did you go to in the NY area? None of the stores in Manhattan or Long Island had them. :(

12. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Albany, NY Area. They had two.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, it is nice to have a portable computer (especially since you are a student). :)

14. buffalo macrumors 65816

That's what I think, but then again I'm only a high school student, so I wouldn't be taking the MacBook to classes. I do take tough classes that require lots of typing of papers (mainly AP US), so a MacBook would be primarily used if I want to type something up or surf the web downstairs while watching TV or something along those lines (iMac is in my bedroom). Also, it would be used on vacations for web and homework. It all sounds nice in theory, but in practicality it is not needed.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

me, too! the instant i decided i wanted one, i sold my powermac and bought a macbook by the end of the week.

16. potdude macrumors member

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, maybe you should just wait until you go to college to buy a MacBook/MacBook Pro. But I can say from experience it is great to be able to have a computer that you can take with you virtually anywhere. :)

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, I'd say 'wait until you're older' :D .

19. buffalo macrumors 65816

but... but... I don't wanna ;)

If I'm going to buy one I need to decide whether to wait for iLife and Leopard or just buy now. I had waited until MWSF to atleast get iLife and get more information on Leopard, but we saw how well that worked out. Now do I wait for the unknown or just buy after final exams (gotta study to keep straight A's).

I will probably be upgrading my iMac to Leopard... How much more would it be to purchase two licenses of Leopard and iLife assuming I buy a MB before release and want to upgrade it to Leopard as-well?

[EDIT] It looks like a family pack iLife '06 license is $99 and a Tiger license is $199. Assuming the prices are the same it will be about $300 to upgrade both computers compared to $210 if I were to just upgrade the iMac.

20. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

Yeah I've got a powermac and really want to get a macbook, but only because it would be nice to have the option to go portable if I wanted to. Especially tempting as I have the money in the bank!

21. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks. All is well with it. Runs about 50 degrees Celcius. No dead pixels. Very pleased. Tough to keep it clean though

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Pics, pics, pics! Puh lease? ;)

23. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ya, for just typing and stuff, I got something like this a year ago. (actually pretty good buy.)

24. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

25. buffalo macrumors 65816

Nice pictures! Those make my decision that much harder. I like the looks of black, but then there's classic white with a $100 savings....

decisions, decisions...