Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
Hey everyone!

My friend has a black macbook from 2006/2007 and wants to upgrade the operating system. The device is currently running leopard (10.5.8 I believe). Would I be able to purchase Lion and install it as an upgrade or should I do a complete reinstall seeing as her PC is 3 OS updates behind?

Please understand that the computer is all stock and most likely will need a RAM upgrade. This could be on the list as well.

thanks,

-JTMx29

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it is a CoreDuo, you'll only be able to go up to Snow Leopard/10.6.8. But if it is a Core2Duo, it can run Lion/10.7.X. For both of those operating systems, the maximum amount of ram would suit them best. Depending on the model, they can take 2GB, 3.3GB, or 4GB of ram.

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
If it is a CoreDuo, you'll only be able to go up to Snow Leopard/10.6.8. But if it is a Core2Duo, it can run Lion/10.7.X. For both of those operating systems, the maximum amount of ram would suit them best. Depending on the model, they can take 2GB, 3.3GB, or 4GB of ram.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.