Bladder or bottles for riding off-road?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by niuniu, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Bottles get real filthy, real fast I'm noticing. You guys switched to bladders, or is the filth preferred to having the weight on your back?

2. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I prefer having my camelbak on my back when I mountain bike. Reason for it is it holds more water, the package can carry more gear and I like having the extra mass near my center as it is easier to control and shift the weight with my body. On the bike it gets tossed around a little more making control a little harder.

3. Guest

eric/

In general I'd say bladders are superior.

4. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Bladder.. and on occasion it acks as a nice cushion for when you fall on your back! :D

5. macrumors G3

I've always used bottles… a plastic and a metal one… personal preference, I prefer the lower centre of gravity and counter balance they provide, and easy to top up in streams too.

I also prefer their versatility over bladders on multi-day treks into the hills. You can use them to measure ingredients, the metal one is rated to allow you to boil water, saves carrying excess stuff in the rucksack (more weight, loss of efficiency, increased fatigue) and you don't have to worry about shouldering either.

Like I said though, personal preference.

6. macrumors 68000

lewis82

I use bottles. Since I have an hardtail I can have two, and I prefer to have less on my back (which means cooler temperature), at the price of having to swallow a bit of dirt from time to time. Anyways, it's full of minerals :p

7. macrumors 65816

senseless

I just got a Camelback, but it has an odd taste to it. I'm hoping this goes away.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Cheers guys :)Put in an order for a bladder (3L Hydrapak fwiw).

I'd love to be able to head out for a day without anything on my back, but always have a backpack in colder weather. Worth a punt and if I get mineral deficient can always stop off for a mudbath :p