Blair on the way out?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 14, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't have a link, for obvious reasons, but I just heard on the BBC, in a programme (Old European spelling) about tomorrow's papers on News 24, that Saturday's London Times is carrying an interview with John Prescott, Deputy Prime Minister (bet you didn't even know there was one! :rolleyes: ), in which he says that the race is on to see who replaces Blair. This is MAJOR*. Prescott until now has not questioned Blair in public, and has been a loyal, low-key traditional Labour man. This is a seismic shift. The obvious candidate is Gordon Brown, presently Chancellor of the Exchequer (Finance Minister to you) who may well manage to distance himself from Bushy-boy. This could prove VERY interesting for your own elections too.

(* not John :cool: )

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

It was only a matter of time before Blair would be forced to step down as PM. If the Conservatives had been stronger, Blair would have been out sooner.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've been reading for the last week or two that the "Brownies" have been positioning themselves for the struggle to take over once Blair goes, but I've understood it wouldn't happen for a year or so. If Blair's own deputy is throwing his hat in the ring (an old American phrase) then it looks like it will happen much sooner than predicted. I can only guess the Iraqi prison scandal is having a much greater effect on your side of the "pond" than it is over here. Not knowing anything about Prescott's politics and just a little more about Brown's, I can only say they can't be any worse than Blair - at least relative to the war. If it happens it will truly isolate Bush worldwide and hurt him in his chance for reelection. Good luck!

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Touché!

Actually, Prescott himself is not really in the running. He is strictly a Deputy. I believe Brown will twist some arms fairly painfully.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Hopefully if the UK takes actions more Americans will be willing to follow suit *crosses fingers.*

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

My thoughts exactly.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

In fairness, to Skunk (and the other Brits), how has Blair performed as PM, other than this war debacle. I know that the UK has the lowest unemployment rate of Europe, and the Pound is doing well...I guess it would be somewhat unfortunate (although deserved), if he had done a decent job and gets booted only for following the US into the war...I mean, no one could have predicted that the US could *uck things up as bad as they have. Plus, there is a good chance Bush will win, w/o doing anything right (or well) Domestically or otherwise....so I guess I can't help feeling a little sorry for the guy...

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

On unemployment and the Pound, Brown can take more credit than Blair. Blair has been virtually absent from domestic politics for months due to the ongoing Iraqi debacle. He SHOULD have known how badly the US would *uck things up (as you so elegantly put it), and he was the only person on earth with the opportunity to prevent this disaster. Frankly, he deserves everything he's going to get.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks for the info, Skunk. As far as the above comment goes, do you really think that World Leaders had any idea Bush would do the things that he has done 3-4 years ago. I would bet they have been shakin their heads in disbelief, as we all have, despite low expectations to begin with. Bear in mind that the US has been a good ally for the most part, and Clinton was certainly well-received...I do believe much of people in the world (leaders included) got blindsided by the ineptitude and audacity of the current administration. That said, it would only mitigate, not erase the responsibility Blair bore, or the blame for handling it poorly. Brown seems OK, and I would love the US to be rebuffed by the UK...

10. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

On verra, as they say in Old Europe.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You've got me here...very attached to?...you should know that I went to US secondary school, so anything before the 1700's wasn't covered...

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

"We shall see" :)
    Literally: "One will see".
    Courtesy of Babelperson®

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

In the spelling/semantics contest it stands:
    Skunk - 3
    Blackfox - 0
    (only destined to get worse)

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wouldn't the be Ye Olde Europe?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Silly me, I always thought that was the best part.

16. iGav macrumors G3

I'm just praying that the Conservatives don't get in 'cos we'll all be f**kin' doomed by Howards Thatcherite leanings! Well unless you're an old, white, rich racist that is :eek: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't necessarily read anything into this at the moment, Blair might not decide to call a General Election until '06... I don't understand why the papers seem hell bent on him calling an election a year early like he did before in 2001 (he did that because it was a guaranteed victory) and I certainly don't see it automatically happening again.

I think we'll more likely see the withdrawal of British Troops from Iraq once the Iraq Government takes over, then that'll give Blair a good 12-15 months to focus on domestic matters and get himself into a strong position for the next election in 2006.

If however his popularity continues to drop as the General Election approaches, I think we'll see a hand over in power from Blair to Brown otherwise Labour could very well lose the next General Election and I'm not so sure either of them will be prepared to let that happen.

But with regards to the leadership, Brown is his likely replacement... I just can't imagine 2Jags being PM... he'll be eaten alive by Howard in the Commons as we've seen before when he's hosted PM Question Time, and in that situation Blair rules the roost. period.

Either way... Blair and Labour are still better than any of the alternatives, and until we get some viable opposition it'll remain that way.

17. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Blair is damaged goods. Brown has been able to watch him cock everything up for long enough to have a good idea of which way to go. He COULD be a very good PM. Howard is far too creepy to get in.