Blair's Speech: Liberal Democracy vs Facsist Dictatorship

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I do think that Tony Blair is sincere and he has certainly along with others not made the best choice in every situation. However I've still not been convinced that he had a handle on the threat of Islamic Fundamentalism until I read his recent speech dealing with this subject in the wake of the recent war in the Lebanon.

It is a balanced and sobering assessment of the current battle against fascist theocratic Islam vs moderate Islam. It perhaps wakes us out of our stupor of spectacular television footage and continuous propaganda to what these battles, like the recent war in the Lebanon, are really all about.

The Australian's recent editorial on this very subject is also makes a similar valid point to Blair's that the real battle is not for example, between Hezzbollah and Israel, or the Insurgents in Iraq and the US government but rather it is a battle for the very soul of Islam.

Does anyone seriously believe that the Lebanese population as a whole would like their country to end up like Iran? Same for the Palestinians, would the well educated people there, given the choice, want to install a fascist theocracy á la Iran?

Attached Files:

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Blair's "Arc of Extremism" is just his own attempt at getting a new soundbite, a la Bush's "Axis of Evil", and is a perfect example of 'Blairism' in full swing. He only ever offers nice words with either a smile or a grimace (depending on the situation) but never a 'solution'. His solution to this "Arc of Extremism" is an "Alliance of Moderation." Which we are to assume means supporting the destruction of a "moderate" state in the Middle East (the Lebanon) by another "moderate" state (Israel).

Fine words, Mr Blair, but why not try living by them?

Also, notice that Blair has delayed, not cancelled, his annual holiday to the Caribbean, because he want's to give the Lebanon crisis his full attention, despite the UN saying they don't want him involved.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Instead of responding to my points about this speech in the other thread I see you've started a new one. Pardon me, everyone, if I repeat myself. Ok, let's deal with the core problem of Blair's speech (available online for those who don't want to download it.) What Blair does here is to attempt to justify his failed policies through restating an indictment of radical Islamic fundamentalism. The problem is he does so by getting the facts wrong and in a way purposefully to obscure the disaster that is his own Middle East policy. Here we can see it in a nutshell:
    emphasis added

Blair, like Bush, likes to conflate Afghanistan and Iraq as being all about the same thing. The problem, of course, is they are not. What Blair does here is to falsely paint the picture of the West responding to the 9/11 attacks, and the "Reactionary Islamists" plan to use them to force a West vs. Islam confrontation, through a consistent tough, military strategy of facing down the radical fundamentalists. Blair, like Bush, would like us to forget that Iraq, and Saddam Hussein, had nothing to do with "Reactionary Islam's" plans on 9/11 and that it is the disastrous invasion of choice of a sovereign nation - not the attacks on 9/11 - that have succeeded in building support in the Arab World and the broader Middle East for al Qaeda and other Islamic fundamentalist organizations and policies.

After the horrible attacks on 9/11, the United States reached a zenith in support for our cause against al Qaeda. The whole world, including countries like Syria and Iran, offered support in the response to the attacks. While each nation of the world did so for its own reasons, Syria and Iran notably for some very self-serving reasons, the support was real and the support was unlike anything the US had ever seen. I am reminded of the pledge by the NATO nations that this was an attack on all NATO members and would be responded to as such. In short, if al Qaeda wanted to use the attacks to turn their cause from a "Muslim vs. Muslim" fight into a "Muslim versus Western" civilization, they failed spectacularly.

What Blair does in his speech is nothing new. He uses 9/11 to falsely support his decision to invade Iraq and his policy to support Israel in its overreaction to Hezbollah's provocations in Lebanon. We know from exhaustive research that their was no important connection between Iraq and al Qaeda. We know that Iraq played no role in the attacks on 9/11. We also know that up to the invasion of Lebanon that Hezbollah and al Qaeda, as examples of radical Shi'a and Sunni fundamentalism respectively, had been at odds. The fact Bush and Blair have succeeded beyond the wild imaginings of Osama bin Laden in bringing about support in Islamic nations for a "clash of civilizations" is a reason to reject Blair's dishonest musings about Middle East policy, not to praise them.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

The 'soundbite' card and the 'Blairism' are in themselves just more soundbites with no substance. You do have a choice to not look for the soundbites and see instead what he is saying. Not to mention attacking him for his holiday delay.

Anyway the thrust of your complaints seems to be twofold, one that a "moderate" state in the ME is being "destroyed" and two that this is not an example of even handedness.

Both these accusations can be answered at the same time. OK Lebanon is a relatively moderate state in the ME however it contains within it a State within a State, and this is not a soundbite it is almost literal. As Hezbollah does not just have a fully trained army and infrastructure, but also television stations, schools and hospitals. Hezbollah is also aiming to take over completetely. Indeed the Lebanese army is divided on religious lines with half supporting Hezbollah. They are also unable to tackle Hezbollah which is why the current situation has come about.

Appeasing Hezbollah is not going to help moderate Lebanon. Advocating evenhandedness does not mean meekly condoning the very worst of extremism. And Hezzbollah is about as bad as it gets. They are led by a deranged despot financed by Iran and Syria and they have the common goal of the destruction of Israel. Their modus operandi is one of continued destabilisation, which is why an appeasment solution is not viable.

I notice that Siniora appeals for Israel to be made to follow UN resolutions, well in a sense that is what is happening in the Lebanon as Israel has already fulfilled is obligations to 1559 and as this recent conflict has only come about because of the Lebanese army's unwillingness to enforce their part of the bargain, Israel is now doing their job. Which is precisely what Siniora wants, so he says.

Getting back to the speech as we already have a Lebanon thread, Blair has acknowledged that they had not had a full handle on the problem and have made some mistakes or errors of judgement. That in itself is not an argument against what he says. In fact his speech points to his reasoning as to why a solution to the current Israel/Palestine problem is of paramount importance.

He then goes on to explain, rightly that what is stopping any solution which the bulk of the population on both sides must want, is forces who seek to destabilise the situation precisely because a solution would go against their wider aims.

As you can see by how long the I/P situation has gone on, 'destabilisation' is something to be reckoned with. How do you attack this without making it worse. This is the thrust of his speech.

How easy is it to destabilise, you will note that a few years ago any time Powell went to the middle east was the signal for the increase of suicide bombers. I remember clearly one episode where over the space of 6 days on one of these US envoy missions, there were 5 suicide bombs. Israel didn't retaliate for the first 4. So you can see the problem in the Lebanon. Hezbollah are not just an active threat to the whole area and ironically to Syria as well, but they will seek to destabilise constantly if they are not directly at war.

You complain that Blair should be 'even handed' what does this mean for you? How should it manifest for example in the current situation.

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Please let me point out that this thread was started 3 days *before* the post you link to that I was supposed to respond to before starting this thread.

So I might say to you that perhaps you could have responded here first which was the appropriate place seeing as Blair's speech is a separate topic to the Hezbollah/Israel conflict.

Attached Files:

• _02.jpg
      _02.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I stand corrected on the sequence of threads. Now do you have anything to say about the points I made or are you going to continue to ignore them and raise other issues, or do you concede my point about the core of Blair's speech and how disingenuous he is in it?

8. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I don't feel that it is necessary to respond to your post. You have commented on Blair's speech and I read your comments in both threads. I don't agree with your reading of Blair's speech. I don't feel it necessary to comment because in my opinion Blair has already answered your points in his speech but due to the way you want to read it you do not see this. No I do not 'concede' your point neither do I think Blair is disingenuous for the reasons I gave in my above post to welshandrew.

Perhaps Blair's initial mistake was to see the issues as intrinsic but he now appears to take a more holistic view of the current situation.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Way to elevate the dialog. Very mature. :D

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I see the "ignoring facts to the contrary" mode is going to be the continued method of choice. Like Blair, you can't seem to grasp the damage done by his and Bush's policies and actions. I can only invite you to contemplate what a different world we would live in if in 2001 Bush had chosen to concentrate on eliminating al Qaeda from Afghanistan and had followed up on the Taba negotiations and pressured the new Sharon government to continue the peace process. By signing on to a new crusade to remake the map of the middle east through force, the US, Britain, and Israel have become the greatest allies radical Islamic fundamentalists could have hope for. Perhaps one reason for that is the power of fundamentalism in the US, in the person of the President, in the hold on large sections of the Republican Party, and in the simplistic views of the world they bring into forging policy. The fact Tony Blair, the leader of the Labour Party, would provide cover for his allies in military adventurism is a testament to how far Labour's political ideology has degenerated into becoming a yes man of the US.

11. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

You think Blair is wrong and you are right, I think you are wrong and Blair is right. I've already said why. There's no use in telling me I "can't grasp" your way of seeing things. Can't you understand that I can grasp it but I think you are wrong.

The above quote just shows me how you do not understand the thrust of Blair's speech at all. As if it was only up to the Sharon Government, completely ignoring the destabilising of any movement towards peace by the then terrorist Hamas party and now the terrorist Hamas government.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

A deconstructionist at convenience?

This is cutting edge theory.

13. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

It would appear that those who wish to argue against Blair use the following excerpt from his speech as some kind of self evident hypocrisy.

"What are the values that govern the future of the world? Are they those of tolerance, freedom, respect for difference and diversity or those of reaction, division and hatred?"

As if by "tolerance" one must demonstrate it by appeasement of fascism. As if any fight is a worthless self evident negation of this value.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Is it a matter of opinion whether there was a relationship between Saddam Hussein or his government with al Qaeda? Is it a matter of a different take whether or not Iraq was behind the 9/11 attacks? No, the absence of an Iraqi hand in "reactionary Islam" and 9/11 is a fact, an inconvenient one for both your and Blair's argument, but facts nonetheless. Blair lumps Iraq and Afghanistan together when talking about the West's response to 9/11. That is not a matter of how we see things - unless we are talking about the difference between delusion and reality, but rather it is a matter of record. Blair is lying when he uses 9/11 as the beginning point of his analysis of the growth of "reactionary Islam." Its growth is directly tied to the invasion of Iraq, and it looks like it will get a further boost in recruitment from the invasion of Lebanon. What Blair and Bush - and you it seems - don't understand is that "superior values" can't be imposed from the outside through murder, torture, and domination.

As to Sharon and the Taba negotiations, I don't think there is any doubt that the Sharon government wanted no part of the directions those talks were going. They made no secret that they would not agree to any of the proposals as a starting point. This after a final settlement was so close to happening. Yes, there were those on the Palestinian side that didn't want it to happen as well, but the Palestinian representatives were committed to further talks. The Israeli side stopped them with the blessings of the new American President. Another inconvenient truth.

15. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@Sayhey

"No, the absence of an Iraqi hand in "reactionary Islam" ... is a fact"

This is why there's nothing to discuss with you, you present as a fact something which is not a fact and then take a stand as if your erroneous view is an undeniable truth. It's not much different to arguing with a JW at ones door. Iraq encouraged suicide bombing in Israel if that's not having a hand in reactionary Islam then I'm not sure what is.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Please enlighten all of us about how Saddam's regime supported al Qaeda or was part of the 9/11 attacks. I'd be interested in how your information differs from every credible commission and inquiry that has looked into this question. Kindly show us all how the invasion of Iraq was meant to defeat "reactionary Islam." Or do you want to dodge the questions again?

17. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@Sayhey,

I've said and shown that you are unable to differentiate a fact from your erroneous beliefs and it is no more useful arguing a point than it is arguing with a JW who comes to my door.

I've pointed out your version of a "fact" and how it is not a fact but you don't care about that. If Saddam's innocence in reactionary Islam is a fact for you then good luck with your beliefs. Saddam sowed instability wherever it suited him.

In the ME the main game is instability and it is more important than other rivalries as each player has their own purpose. Thus we have the unlikely scenario of Syria getting into bed with Iran.

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You've said many things but have shown very little. Assertions are not fact. Let me show you a fact. Here is what the 9/11 Commission found about the Iraq/al Qaeda "connection,"
    Washington Post

That is a fact. Your assertion that there is any credible evidence otherwise is fanciful speculation. The continued use of 9/11 rhetoric by Bush and Blair to pump up the understandable revulsion around the attacks to help justify and gain support for attacking a country not involved is just an old style disinformation campaign. The speech you so glowingly recommend continues that tradition.

19. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@Sayhey,

Please quote me whether I've asserted one way or t'other about whether Iraq was involved in 9/11.

I've certainly asserted that contrary to your "fact" Iraq was involved in reactionary Islam, one proof is his support of Hamas. So please stop this tiring talk of "facts", it's no different to the "facts" that my local JW tries to preach to me. I refer you to the apparent facts that began your first post here that were wildly fanciful but didn't stop your tirade against me.

You are living in the past. You act as if you are on one of those "where are the WMD then?" threads.

That is not what Blair's speech was about, it is about how one of the world leaders whose thinking, like it or not, does matter. It is not surprising that Blair's thinking has changed in the last few years, that's what's important and what he is saying now does not reflect how he was thinking 3 years ago.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is alleged that Saddam Hussein offered, for PR purposes, presumably, to make payments to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. To characterise this as "having a hand in reactionary Islam" is a very feeble argument. To justify the invasion and occupation of a sovereign country on the basis of such a feeble connection is clearly absurd. Are you reading from Dick Cheneys prompt cards?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are clearly conflating the issues.

So anyone who supports the Palestinians, for whatever reason, is by extension "involved in reactionary Islam"? Pathetic.

Did you ever answer that question to your own satisfaction?

Blair is as irrelevant now as he was three years ago.

22. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@skunk

To justify the invasion and occupation of a sovereign country on the basis of such a feeble connection is clearly absurd.

Er...except I didn't did I. I just pointed out that what was termed a "fact" wasn't.

23. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

You are clearly conflating the issues.

Clearly? You mean like the way that some people put words in my mouth and when challenged say "that's what I heard"

Hey did I say support Hamas and you "heard" 'the Palestinians'? You just change whatever you want to support your view. Pathetic.

Blair is as irrelevant now as he was three years ago.[/QUOTE]

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your mates George and Tony did, and you support what could be laughingly referred to as their "thinking".

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The digression into calling names doesn't answer the questions. Do you believe Blair is right when he says the following:
    This is the core problem with his argument because his use of the 9/11 attacks to justify the invasion of Iraq, which had nothing to do with 9/11 or support for al Qaeda, is nothing but a lie. It is a lie that is repeated over and over by both Bush and Blair but that doesn't make it anymore true. What is true is that contrary to Mr. Blair's amazement, the increase in terrorism and the support for radical Islamic fundamentalism has everything to do with the invasion of Iraq by Britain and the United States. By deciding to use force in Iraq to impose new "values" there, Bush and Blair committed one of history's great blunders. A blunder which Blair wishes to continue to commit over and over again. Not much to recommend in the way of new thinking.

btw, Iraq, like many, many Islamic nations did give money to families of suicide bombers. That is not the same as supporting Hamas or Islamic fundamentalism. If that is the basis for supporting invasions we will be invading every member of the Arab League. And it also has nothing to do with the supposed connection of Iraq to 9/11 or al Qaeda that Blair would have us believe.