Blanco elected first female Governor of Louisiana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mudbug, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Katherine Babineaux-Blanco elected first female Governor of Louisiana - this is the end result for what was to be a historical election for the state of Louisiana, regardless of who won. Blanco (d) defeated "Bobby" Jindal (r), an Indian-American man who, if elected, would have become the first non-white elected governor in the South since Reconstruction.

Politically speaking, the two were not too far from each other. The election results were 52% Blanco - 48% Jindal.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That is progress and a nice change. Of course, did this combination of candidates keep most of the white males from going to vote?

I was surprised to see her opponent after she mentioned that he was Asian, though. :D

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    quite surprising considering her opponent was considered a shoe-in as of last week...

makes my day.:D

4. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Wow, having grown up in Louisiana, I am genuinely surprised that anyone voted. Sure, both candidates stood for basically what most of louisiana values (which in my recollection is not much, but I'm biased :) ) But simply the fact that louisianians were faced with voting for either a woman or a minority, my cynicism tells me that they only voted for the one who they saw as the "lesser of two evils"

That, or Louisiana has changed a lot since I came out west.

[edit: looking at the numbers, 52%-48% is almost exactly a party-line vote]

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Looks like the South isn't completely lost to the dems. First Landreau, now Blanco.

6. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I believe Louisiana actually has a slight democratic majority in the electorate. Not completely sure, though.

7. Mudbug thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Nah - I'm pretty sure Louisiana has a rather pronounced Repulican slant - and has had that slant for quite a few years running now. Might be interesting if someone took the time to datamine the voter breakdown... I'm too lazy to look :D Uninformed speculation is all I'll offer :D ;)

8. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Here's the raw data (I'm not there anymore, so I can't really judge how accurate it is):

http://www.elections.state.la.us/weekly_stats/20031109_statewidecombo.txt

Total Registered Statewide Voters: 2,780,759
    Total Statewide Democratic Voters: 1,581,134
    Total Statewide Republican Voters: 649,895

In addition, by my calculations 549,730 are independent or third party.

So, a little more than half of the registered voters in the state are were democrats as of November 9.

9. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Good to see a woman gaining in the political arena. I do think that maybe they voted for here because the other guy was a minority though.

10. Mudbug thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I guess the republicans are just the LOUD ones around me then :D ;)

thanks for the link :) More uninformed speculation to come :D

11. g5man macrumors newbie

A large portion of the south is still predominately Democratic. If most of the Democrats in Louisiana had voted for Blanco she should have won a landslide.
    As in California there are still many more Democrats than Republicans, yet they are either too depressed or have decide that Conservative candidates are worth the vote. Hence over 62% voted for in favor of conservative candidates who promoted lower taxes and cuts in spending.

So not only do we have Democrats voting Republican but overall the number of Democrats continue to shrink across the country as noted in a previous thread.