Blank CD won't mount: Don't have enough access privileges?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swindmill, Sep 10, 2006.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

When I insert a blank CD and choose 'open Finder', I get an error message saying "The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privileges." If I choose 'open iTunes', the app opens, but nothing happens and the disk is not displayed.

This has never happened before. I have tried repairing permissions. Any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Open up a new user account. Does it still not mount in that? :)

3. debris7 macrumors newbie

same problem

i'm having the same problem.

did you recently install software? or use the application Onyx to "optimize" or "clean" your drive?

that's what i did yesterday, and today, my computer won't read blank cd's.

however, as Mad Jew suggested, in a different user account, the blank disc will mount. how do i fix the drive access privileges?

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

mount the blank CD, select it and do a Get Info
    have a look at Ownership & Permissions...what does it say?

what I'm getting at is that as the Administrator you can change the share permissions on the CD...

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

6. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It's taken me a while to get around to this, but it will mount in a separate user account. When I insert the CD, it doesn't show up on the desktop at all, so I can't get info. I get a pop up that says there aren't sufficient privileges to mount it and it then ejects.

Any suggestions?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, find a file named com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.uiagent.plist in the Preferences folder and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. I personally doubt this'll work but I just heard about it helping someone with a similar problem. Removing the file will do no damage. :)

8. rebus macrumors newbie

a year and a half late, but...

This was the first result when I googled the same error message. I was unable to find an answer to this problem anywhere. I would love to know what causes it, but here's how I fixed it...

Open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist in Property List Editor.app

Look for boolean key named "ProhibitBurn" set to value "Yes", change it to value "No".

Save and Quit.

It fixed the problem without even logging out.

Anyone know why that's there or how it gets set?

thanks, rebus

9. graphicdesign85 macrumors newbie

Unlock Desktop

I kept getting the same error. I tried to change the ProhibitBurn option as suggested above but that option did not exist in my com.apple.finder file.

I also noticed that when I tried to drag something to the desktop, it wouldn't allow me to. In the Finder window, right click on Desktop and select Get Info. Under General, there are two items with checkboxes next to them. In mine, Locked was checked. I unchecked it and now I can successfully mount blank CDs and DVDs. I can also drag things to my desktop.

Thanks!