Blank DVD MEDIA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blazer5913, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I have a MacBook Pro, 15". I just finished off my spindle of DVD-r's that I've had forever, and need to get another one. Looking for probably around 100 DVDs, maybe more. Any links to reliable places/brands for good prices. Mostly backing up my DVD movies with them. Thanks No need for cases or anything...

2. Reaver macrumors 6502

I would try newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com both are in the U.S. if your in the UK or out of country. as for brand I would go with Verbatim I have used them and havent had any problems with the quality of there product.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

5. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I am in the US. So any links to good deals or anything these days. My MacBook Procan only burn at 4x, so thats as high as I need, and I don't need to print anything on top of them. Just backing up movies. Thanks

6. Reaver macrumors 6502

heres a link to zipzoomfly.com for a 100 spindle of verbatim 4.7 8x DVD+R's sorry no 4x just 8x and up.

7. JDN macrumors 6502a

8. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

allmediaoutlet.com and meritline.com are the two that I always compare between. Have purchased from both multiple times. I have personally gone through over 500 Ritek and 300 ProDisc White Inkjet Hub Printables - both are top quality and the ProDisc is my current selection. Printouts directly on disc are superb and rival studio releases. I see no need to spend more money than what the ProDiscs cost, either for reliability or for burn success.

9. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone recommend whether to get DVD-R or DVD+R for my MacBook Pro... mainly DVD backing up, playing on either xbox 360 or standalone dvd player or mbp... thanks

10. Reaver macrumors 6502

DVD-R's are more than likely not going to play in alot of stuff so I would go with DVD+R's. I dont know where I read it at but I read an article stating the differences and they recommended getting the +R's instead of the -R's because +R's play better in older and newer media devices.

11. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

I think you may have that mixed up. Everything I have ever read states that DVD-R is far more compatible with older players. I can personally attest to this as well after having to return a DVD+R burner back DVD burning was just new (back in the 2.4x write days). The DVD+R discs were worthless to me, out of 4 DVD players, only one of them would play my discs. :rolleyes:

12. Reaver macrumors 6502

yeah I think your right I just did a search and I was mistaken. thats what I get for anwsering threads form a dial-up computer from work :( .

I use DVD+R's and I have had no problems in my DVD player.

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Stating the obvious, but regarding the 'best' DVDs/CDs it depends on the burner. My iBook G4 burns everything I throw at it (including my left wrist right now, but that's a different thread). My iMac RevB, on the other hand (no pun), refuses to burn just about anything once it's heated up. I need to change DVD brands. Currently I use Sony's DVD-R.

14. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

there are a couple things to keep in mind when ranking DVD media. First thing is the burn success rate. This may vary by DVD burner as you mentioned. Some discs burn in anything, some burners are picky and want the "good stuff". Second thing is the data integrity/longevity. There are cheap discs out there (Princo comes to mind) that have high burn success rates (at least they did for me) but 6 months later, a disc that played perfectly and has sat in a case untouched, will no longer play. This has to do with the quality of the dye used on the media itself.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:eek: Warning heeded. So what are the Rolls Royces of DVDs?

16. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

if money is no object? probably the high-end TY's (not the value ones). But again, I have had excellent, superb even, results with the ProDiscs. I love the hub printable design and they dye they use is top quality. Plus the price is very competitive. Combine them with an Epson R300 and you are set.

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

18. Mustafa macrumors regular

If you're in the UK.....

I just bought some blank Verbatim CDs and DVDs from blanktrader-couk on eBay UK. Good service and the prices seemed right.

19. Buzzaki macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find a blank DVD that will stay in my machine. I've tried Verbatim and Panasonic.... the blank discs just whirl for a little while and then pop back out.

My PowerBook G4 (supposedly) supports DVD-R General Use. I thought perhaps it was a 2x or 4x incompatibility of some sort, but this last attempt was just plain DVDf-R.

I could really use some help here. I've burnt many CDs successfully, but this is the first time I've tried using my superdrive for DVD.

HELP!!!

20. NJuul macrumors 6502

You are of course certain that your PB has a superdrive....
    What does it say in "System Profiler" -> "Disc Burning"?

21. Buzzaki macrumors newbie

Hi NJuul,

I've always assumed that I had Superdrive... isn't it standard on the PowerBook G4? iDVD came with the computer.....

System Profile:
    MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123:

Manufacturer: MATSHITA
    Model: MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123
    Revision: CA0T
    Serial Number:
    Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal

22. NJuul macrumors 6502

It's not a superdrive... It's a combo.
    You can read DVDs, but only burn CDs.
    It depends on your revision PowerBook. Some of the early ones only had SuperDrive as BTO. You can check up on it here.

23. klkaszyn macrumors newbie

what dvd-r brand can i use?

I've got a macbook with superdrive. I have tried sony, maxell, and some cheaper brands of blank dvd's and my computer doesn't recognize them. Please let me know which do work so I can buy a whole bunch!

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've got a metric sh*tton of Sony DVD+Rs (or maybe they're -R's, not sure) and CD-Rs because a few months back, they were on sale for really cheap at Office Depot, and I've yet to have a failed burn with them in either of my Macs.