blank dvd-r recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jelloshotsrule, Dec 7, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm looking to get some blank dvd-r recommendations for use with standard apple superdrives... basically, i've used apple brand dvds with no problems, but they're pricey. i've also gotten a spindle of some no name brand (like 100 dvds for 70 bucks or something a couple years ago), and have had tons of problems.

having not gone looking lately, what's the word on dvd-r spindles these days? are any particular brands relatively cheap but also reliable? or should i stick with old faithful, but expensive, apple..?

thanks in advance

2. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Whatever you do, DO NOT get Maxell. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. TDK has always been a very reliable brand for me (both in CD-Rs and DVD-Rs) even though they're somewhat hard to locate. Good luck!

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have had nothing but easy use of the Sony DVD-R disks. You can find them on sale from time to time for $20 for 50 disks.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I can recommend Fujifilm, TDK and Verbatim disks. Make sure you get the purple disks (that is, the bottom is a dark purple color). Those are the best as far as longevity goes. Brands to stay away from are Memorex (don't buy anything made by Memorex, they've been making poor quality media for 30+ years), Maxell, and really any off-brand.

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

cool, thanks for the feedback. will keep an eye out for those brands!

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ask mc68k (aka toughboy) about a brand NOT to use - he had a 50 disc spindle with a 30% fail rate a little while back.

Don't buy the cheap stuff!

8. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I've used the Philips brand CD-R's and never made a coaster. Office Depot has some great deals on this brand as well. Just got a spindle of 50 for $20 bucks and got another spindle of 50 for free. 100 for $20...can't beat it!.. :D

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is hard sometimes to try and pass them up though. On Black Friday a numbers of stores were selling no-name 50 disc spindles for $5. :)

But the time wasted on a bad disk wasn't worth it in my mind.

10. nina macrumors member

I ALWAYS buy Memorex. I've burned well over 150 of them, and I haven't had one coaster yet. If you're in Canada, either Future Shop or Best Buy will have them on sale at any given time.

They usually go for $5.99/5 or about a $1.20 per disc. Highly recommended!

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

exhaustive source

How good it is, I don't know - I remember seeing this posted on some thread a while ago.

No More Coasters

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

For DVDs I use Verbatim, Maxell, or Fuji. Always had good luck with them.

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I learned the hard way, now I only buy TDK or Verbatium DVDs, some of my Memorex dvds from last year are starting to go bad so i'm doing them over again.
    Haven't used Taiyo Yuden yet but i'm also changing over to printable dvds now so i'm not sure if there is a dif. with the discs for that reason. :cool:
    Not sure what brand to use for cds but thats why I got my iPod :D
    Good luck!

14. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I started using Fuji media because I got 100 blank CD-Rs with my Quicksilver. Since then I've used hundreds of their disks and can only remember one coaster.

15. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Another vote for TDK.

Looks like nobody has has any problems with them so that is your best bet for no coasters.

It is also worth noting out of a 50 Disk spindle I only had one memorex fail so they are pretty good too.

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Interesting to see how different people have had different experiences with the same brand of media, although Fuji, Verbatim and TDK seem to be commonly known as being good. I've had consistent problems with every type of Memorex media I've ever tried (that includes, VHS, DVD-R, CD-R, Minidisc, cassette tape), whereas another poster has said that they have had nothing but good experiences with them. Anyway, I've also heard that Taiyo Yuden makes very good stuff, however I have no personal experience with them.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just don't buy the super cheap stuff. It may burn okay but after about a year some of your DVDs will be degrade into coasters. If you only need to do short term storage (like file xfers) then use the cheap crap of it will burn for you. But if you are looking for medium to long term storage (back-ups, home movies) don't trust the cheap stuff.

-Lethal

18. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

I have been using "Bulkpaq" Orange DVDs

The Bulkpaq DVDs are cheap, and EXCEPTIONALLY reliable in my experience, also they play ok on older DVD players too.

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I buy 8x Datawrite ones in spindles of 25 for £5.49 and have never had any problems with them.

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The media I've had the best luck with on different machines and drives is Ritek/RiData. DVD-R in quantity for about $0.55 - $0.60. I HAVE *NOT* had great luck with Memorex and TDK, although most of that media was burnt on a PC running XP, so who knows if the problem was really the media.