Blank DVDs eject after 5 secs.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Andy G, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Andy G macrumors member

Aug 21, 2004
    My 15" Titanium Powerbook can play DVDs ok, but when I insert a blank one to write onto, it spits it out after about 5 seconds.

Any advice?

Andy G
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Check in System Profiler which DVD formats your Superdrive can write to (and if you have a Superdrive rather than a Combo one). It's probably only DVD-Rs (my 1.25 PB is) so make sure that your DVDs aren't +Rs

Other than that, buy good quality blanks. Sometimes the cheaper ones don't always work.
  3. Andy G thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2004
    Thanks Applespider, you are absolutely correct. My drive indicates DVD-Rs only. I had no idea there were limitations to the different formats - I assumed that I could use rewritable DVDs, and borrowed a blank from our TV DVD recorder collection.

Better get to the shop . . .

(I had a horrible thought I'd need to replace my Superdrive!)

Andy G
  4. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Reminds me of a client who had this problem. Turned out he mixed up his PBs, and this ejection problem was happening to the PB that had a read-only DVD drive.

In other words, check out your System Profiler to confirm you can write DVDs.
  5. TodVader macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2005
    Quebec, Canada
    My new ibook does that too. You don't have a dvd burner, that's why. It has no need for the blank media so it spits it out.

p.s. my ibook it the last rev, obviously the one in my sig.