[Blank] says hi!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steelphantom, Jan 19, 2007.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

If you couldn't tell from my topic title, here's what I'm talking about: I'm sure most of you have had a conversation with someone and at some point the person says, "John says hi!" or "Mary says hi!" Every time I hear that, I am completely at a loss as to what I should say. Somehow, I don't think, "I say hi back!" exactly cuts the mustard. What do you say (if anything) when faced with this situation?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

"John says Hi!"

Well Andrew says if John can't take the time to tell me hi in person then I decline.

3. Quboid macrumors 6502

:confused: kidding right?

" Oh thats nice,[ then state the last time you spoke to blank]:p

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Usually when someone says "[so-and-so] says hi", that so-and-so is someone that I haven't seen or heard from in a while otherwise they would've just called me. So my response is usually, "[so-and-so]? tell them I haven't changed my number or anything".

I don't understand why anyone ever tells anyone else to tell someone anything casual like that. Someone please tell arn I said 'hey' because I can't be bothered to PM him. :rolleyes:

That's just my two cents, though.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I usually just say something like, "Aww, thank you." Or just, "Awwww...." ;)

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

lol yeah only kidding. Unless it's someone who I secretly hate- but I would never say that.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, can we merge this thread with the thread bitching about people who sign their e-mails with things like "luv ya bunches" or "xoxo"?

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I think this is the most pointless thread ever....:D

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A few years ago, I had the exact same dilemma. In a state of disillusion and antipathy, I travelled to the inner heart of central Australia where I met an Aboriginal elder named Goannabeard. I trusted him and his many generations of wisdom with my problem. At first he would not tell me the true answer to my lifelong question. I begged and pleaded, but my attempts were met with a solemn silence and a small cave painting of a kangaroo eyeing off a native man. After seven days and seven nights, I knew my pleading attempts were futile so I set off in search of the meaning of this cave painting. I asked three different local tribes and was given three very different answers, but with one fundamental thing in common. Each story of the cave painting involved the local waterhole ion some way or another. I ventured down to the waterhole, which I had now become quite familiar with and spent half a day looking around for something peculiar, although I didn't know what exactly. Then, in the height of the afternoon sun I found it. Goannabeard's youngest daughter (named Eucalyptheart) came to the edge of the waterhole and started singing. She was more beautiful than anything I could have imagined.* I asked her why she sang. She stopped singing and looked at me with her beautiful brown eyes. We seemed to be staring at each other forever, but it was not to be. She started singing again, this time in more of a wailing fashion like someone who has just fallen down some stairs. I grew tired of this noise and ventured back toward Goannabeard. He was standing where I'd left him, by his cave paintings. I said to him firmly "Goannabeard, tell me the answer to my predicament and I'll give you ten dollars". Astute in the ways of trade, he accepted. "mad jew," he said "get a ****ing life".

*I'd been in the desert for quite some time by now. Even my own pubic hair was starting to look quite attractive.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

"Which one is Mark again?"

Talk about a blank stare...

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

'Hey [name of person who says hi]!" simple as that. :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow......nice overreaction. Personally, if someone does that, I think it's nice. It's not as nice as a phonecall, but it's not something that should actually bother you to the point where you should even react like this.

Life must really be stressful for you if simple things like this deserve responses such as this.

You should have told her "Abstract says hi." That would have made her feel all tingly....inside.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

and i thought you had forgotten me... :rolleyes:

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I was just going to say something along those lines before she beat me to it. :D

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I usually just say "Say 'Hi' back", especially if whoever said it just hung up the phone...

And there has been many threads just as pointless as this. A couple even more so... :D