Blast from the past.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kretzy, Feb 20, 2005.

1. kretzy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

kretzy

Hi guys,

I was bored the other day and i decided to hook up my old Macintosh LCII....it had some cool old skool games on it. After i'd set it all up i turned it on but all i got was a grey screen!! :eek: i tried using the set-up disks but it had no effect. so i was just wondering if anyone out there had any ideas.

Thanks

2. 5300cs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

5300cs

Do you hear the start-up chime? When the screen turns grey, can you see anything, like a flash '?' or is the screen blank?

I'm 95% sure it's a hardware problem (read:failure.)

3. za9ra22
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

A number of models fail to start if the internal battery is fully drained. You might try replacing that and see if it helps.

4. atari1356
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

atari1356

Agreed. The Powermac 6100 I used to own did the same thing a few years ago... started it up one day and just got a gray screen - replacing the internal battery fixed it.

I don't know what shops you have in Australia, but if there's something similar to Radio Shack here in the U.S., that's where I bought mine and it was fairly cheap to replace (somewhere around $10 - $15 U.S. dollars if I remember correctly).

5. kretzy
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah there is a chime when i switch it on and then the gray screen and then nothing.

I'll definately try changing the internal battery.