Blaster takes down school network

Discussion in 'Community' started by OutThere, Sep 11, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yesterday Blaster started eating into my school's servers and mainframe equipment, and the IT department responded by shutting down the entire network, in effect quarantining the dorm computer network to prevent the spread of the worm. We won't have any internet until all the PC's are checked personally by the IT department. Has anyone else had this happen to them? It really sucks to not have the internet because of the stupid PCs.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My brother's high school network was having major problems. A friend's college network was down for some time too. My college's network has been working fine...

3. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Wow.. the problem is the same here

Same problem at University of Redlands.. at one check, it was found that only 3% (3%!!!!!) of the network traffic packets were valid.. the rest? All the $%&@! Blaster worm...

Thank you PCs.. for making everyone's lives truly that much more fun while we use uninfected Macs stuck doing rainbow swirls because the network can't even serve email as fast as it could be read.. Oh it harkens abck to the days of 300 baud modems.... but at least we were immune to PC antics back then..

Someone's gotta come up with a Mac's only internet..

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The university office where I work got slammed hard. Months ago I begged for a mac, and our director caved-in though everyone mocked me. When MSBlast hit, every machine in our office was down until IT could look at them except mine! It was so hard not to gloat, I didn't even try.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Check this article out!
    And this particularly salient point:
    Ouch! I wonder what the schools policies are regarding macs?

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I don't feel bad at all for your school. The patches have been out for a long time for the exploit that blaster uses. If people are too lazy to install patches, they should have their windows license taken away.

7. spinner macrumors regular

The blaster worm has been in the press for how long, and people still haven't patched their systems!?!? I'm sorry but I do not feel any sympathy for these people. I think that its hilarious that they are charging a $30 idiot fee to clean out their systems. This is my favorite time to say: Shoulda bought a Mac. :D

8. chadfromdallas macrumors member

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here's my proof it's virus free... IT'S A MAC!

10. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly, this is not new, the windows patch and virus removal tool from symantec have been out there for ages.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We had a round of network closures on our campus (SDSU) due to the first round of Blaster/Nachi, and we're bracing ourselves for more with the new RPCDCOM vulnerability announced yesterday.

So much for the focus on security, Bill - your "most secure OS ever", Win2k3 Server is right up there on the list of affected products. :rolleyes:

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But it's not the school's faults! Their networks are being strained because they lack the kind of controls over clients on the network that corporations have. The problem is infected student computers sending all that bogus email across the network.
    The school's computers are (or should be) already secured against the virus, but that doesn't help them deal with all the students who don't realize what they're doing.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like this is the way to go:
    Schools should work out a licensing agreement with someone like Symantic that allows them to distribute virus protection software to every student. It's probably more cost-effective, particularly at large schools.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Question

It occurs to me that if your university requires your personal machine to be inspected before being allowed to reaccess the net, and these guy show up at your Mac-owning door. What do you say? "You don't need to chack mine, it's a Mac."

What would their response be? "Oh, we don't support Macs."

What then? Would they not allow your machine to reaccess just because it's a machine they cannot scan, regardless it is in no way infected?

Sorry it's cynical, but I smacks of something that could very well happen.

Anyone experience this?

16. dethl macrumors regular

I hate that blaster worm.

My college got hit really bad, to the point where they closed off all ports to the dorms and apartments.

Heh, my friend got a new computer, booted it up, and in no time was infected as well...and had his port shut down the same day.

Good thing I'm on a Linux box (no new mac for me yet...but i'll buy another one sometime soon (maybe next semester))

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The Blaster worm got me out of a tardie because the network was down at my school, so they couldn't register my tadie. :D

So, I like the Baster worm ;). Didn't get my PC too.

scem0

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Can anyone send me blaster?

I was to look at it.

I haven't even got it, that or SoBig.

:(

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MrMacman

That's illegal, and a very odd question to boot!