Blatant Mac Mini Clone!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What an extremely obvious copy of the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:

I love this line:

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've seen this before it still amazes me how original and sexy it is. :rolleyes:

PC manufacturers they are all class!

3. lopresmb macrumors 6502

4. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Lord Blackadder, might wanna fix that link. I don't know what the "thathttp" protocol is but it can't be good. :)

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Doh!

...Fixed, I think.

I remember seeing pics of Mac-Mini like prototypes but these guys are pretty ballsy to sell this as their own "innovative" design. If I were Apple legal I'd have a little chat with them.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow....just wow :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously, isn't this some sort of copyright infringement on the design of the Mac mini? Can they really get a way with this?

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Copyrights are for works like books, music, paintings, etc. They don't apply to product design.

This would fall under trade dress (not trademark, as thats another thing again). Apple sucessfully used trade dress to get rid of a bunch of iMac imitators when that first came out. Basically, they argue that the design is obviously intended to confuse consumers into thinking their product is the same as the mac mini.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's not a Mac mini clone, it's a PC that happens to look similar to the Mac mini.:rolleyes:

10. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I've seen this before..

They could've at least stood it up on it's side so that it could be displayed and presented as a mini-PC tower and sold as an alternative to those who don't have room for a full average-sized PC tower.

Besides, who is really going to buy that thing, anyways?

I wouldn't pay $400 for that, not to mention $1300. :eek:

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I think this is a good idea, if you need to run PC based apps, which don't run well on an average Mac via VPC - there's an option to get a PC box that doesn't look like a piece of cr*p - why doesn't it look like a piece of cr*p? Well because it looks like a Mac-Mini. Apply one of the white Apple stickers you get with a Mac these days and no-one will know the difference :)

Of course it'll be interesting to see how well it sells - see how many switchers were actually just looking for a tiny box, not neccessary OSX.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There was a rumor at the time this first appeared that Intel had requested this design from AOpen, presumably as part of their discussions with Apple. Basically to prove that a similar form factor to the mini could be achieved using Intel CPUs and chipsets.

Apple already uses Asus as an OEM, so why not AOpen, in which casethis could be preparation for the Intel Mac mini.

B

13. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

This time last week, I would have considered this to sit next to my mac mini happy in symbiosis (actually I shouldnt say that but wot the heck) but I wont be getting one for Xmas as my mini is sold. My destiny is to climb up a peg on the Apple ladder....iMac here I come baby!

14. Alex The Nifty macrumors newbie

The funny thing is that everyone says PCs are cheaper, but then the base system for AOpen has half the ram, doesn't include Windows, and has integrated graphics (I think). VoodooPC is just plain expensive, and they paint their systems, and judging by their website, they don't so a very good job of it. And they don't include an OS or shipping in that $900 base price. And different colors cost more. But it won't run Mac OS anyway, so who really cares?

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Jeez...if it weren't for the blue button right in the middle, you'd never know the difference.

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Yeah, I think not. Apple filed suit against eMachines in '98 when they attempted an iMac clone.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Not true. although product designs aren't copyrightable, they can be patented which restricts "similar" styling. I would say mac would have a good case in this situation. Painting it grey and sticking a blue button on the front wouldnt remove it far enough from the mac mini to justify a big enough styling difference. The big question is weather apple believes that the mac mini's styling is a big enough selling point. sure its simple and pretty, but I think they are pushing it as way for people who would like to try macs out without spending big bucks on the pro machines. Its the purchase cost thats is its selling point. they might let this slide seeing that whats on the inside is less and crap. of course I could be wrong...

19. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I don't think this is correct. I'm pretty sure you can't patent something like product design unless that design is integral to its function, whihc could be patented. There's nothing on the mac mini remotely patentable that I can see. its just packaging.

For example, ford doesn't own a patent on the look of the mustang. its covered by trade dress and trademark laws.

20. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yeah, and it had nothing to do with copyrights. It was a trade dress lawsuit. Copyrights do not apply to product design. They protect the right to distribute copies of an artisitic work.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes... I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they look exactly the same. :rolleyes:

22. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A Mac Mini with an Intel processor is a perfect device for weaning the public off Windows. It will be cheaper, look better and have a superior OS (included with the machine) to this AOpen thingy.

The Mac Mini is a very very simple design - and yet they've still managed to make the PC copy look gimmicky. "No, that doesn't look good...let's put a big glowing blue power button here in the middle". :rolleyes:

23. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Knew I had seen that before. Nah, it's cool. Snob away, that's the only way we'll learn. :p

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Just proves that the vast majority of the companies developing in the PC world are devoid of talent. I think Sony does a good job, Dell STILL has that smiley face thing going, and, and, it STILL runs XP. When are people going to wise up?