bletooth mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by derajfast, Jul 10, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

can anyone recommend to me a blutooth mouse with built in blue tooth so that theres no like hub that takes up a USB port since i need all my usb and firewire ports....any recommendations are appreciated, thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Forgive me if I'm about to come off as a sadly misinformed smart-***, but I don't think that, for the most part, it matters whether or not your *mouse* comes with a USB bluetooth adapter, as long as it is a BT mouse (as opposed to an RF one or whatever). But in order to avoid having a USB adapter, your computer does have to have built-in bluetooth.

What are desired attributes? Style, ergonomics, lots of buttons / customizability, or something else?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as long as your computer has BT any BT mouse will work, i prefer Apple's offering myself, although i know that Logitechs MX900 i believe is also very good

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i was looking at the logitech mx900 (i have built in bluetooth), but it seemed like there was a basestation that plugged in to the computer via USB....if i can communicate directly with the mouse w/o the help of the basestation being plugged in to the computer, then i would get that mouse

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The mx900 will work with the built in bluetooth. Mine connects through a usb dongle that I have, and not through the base station. The base station is just used for charging the mouse and is not connected to the computer in any way.

It's a pretty good mouse, and I'm generally happy with it. I do have a couple of gripes, however: Logitech doesn't support this mouse on OS X, which means that you either have to get 3rd party software to map the buttons to different keystrokes, or use the extra buttons for exposé and dashboard. The left and right buttons, along with the scroll wheel, work out of the box though. Second thing is battery life. I only get around 2 days from each charge.

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i cant afford to take up a USB port and you said that thats how it connects.....is there a mouse that i wont need to plug anything in to the computer and it will just work?

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

if it works with my usb dongle, then there's no reason it won't work with your built in bluetooth. I just don't have bluetooth built in, so I use a dongle.