Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greengiant129

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I recently performed a Software Update for Snow Leopard, and after it started to install the updates, it said the update failed and asked me to restart since I had no other choice (it was in the process where everything was unavailable while it was installing the updates).

So Restarting was the only option available for the error, and I clicked it. My Macbook Pro restarted, and it showed the Apple logo and then a status bar underneath it showed up. The status bar began to progress (filling up the bar with a gray color), but just as it started to (only a little gray was there), the status bar started to blink a few times (maybe 2-4 times) and then my computer promptly shut down without rebooting.

I turned on the computer again and it repeated the same thing.

So I used my Snow Leopard DVD to erase the ENTIRE hard drive and reinstall it onto a clean hard drive. After the Snow Leopard DVD finished installing, it said it was successfully installed and to restart. So I clicked on Restart Now or whatever, and the computer reboots. But now it does the same thing with the status bar whole thing again.

I can record the whole phenomenon with a camera if need be, but is anyone familiar with this and know what's going on?

Nov 28, 2010
located

greengiant129

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I ran a /dev/random on the hard drive before I formatted it, but I don't think that really makes a difference, right?

Globalksp

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I'm having this same issue.

I was having RAM problems (three beeps of death) for about two weeks before this behavior started. I removed and reinstalled the aftermarket RAM that has been in the computer since day 1 with no luck. I don't have my original RAM with me.

Have an appointment for service, but any ideas what this could be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.