Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
i am working on a Mac G5 that has a apparent hard drive issue. When I start the G5 it chimes and the Apple logo appears and the little wheel just spins and spins and never loads the OS. When i remove the hard drive and replace it and reboot the G5 i now get a blinking folder with a question mark. I tried several different replacement drives and get the same question mark icon. However, when i put the original hard drive back in I at least get the Apple logo and the spinning wheel..but still no OS loads......what up with dat...???

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The replacement hard drive is probably blank. You need to install Mac OS X onto the replacement drive before it can run. If you are sure there is a proper OS on the drive, hold down the Option key at boot and select the replacement drive if it appears.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
The replacement hard drive is probably blank. You need to install Mac OS X onto the replacement drive before it can run. If you are sure there is a proper OS on the drive, hold down the Option key at boot and select the replacement drive if it appears.

FYI - Heres what worked for me. I had access to a similar G5 so I put a working hard drive in it and installed the OS ( Leopard 10.5 on the hard drive.
I then removed the hard drive and put it into the other G5 and now it appears to be working ?????!! Any comments or insights would be greatly appriciated. is what i did the best remedy for this type of issue. ???

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The blinking folder/question mark icon means the computer can't find a viable OS to boot from. You never did answer Intell's question: did you install OS X onto the replacement drives? You can't boot from a blank HDD.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
The blinking folder/question mark icon means the computer can't find a viable OS to boot from. You never did answer Intell's question: did you install OS X onto the replacement drives? You can't boot from a blank HDD.

I believe i did answer Intels question. Cool. Thanks

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Agreed...

There is not a viable read (bootable) install of either 10.4 or 10.5 on the primary hard drive. So you have a few options. If you want to stick with mac os? You need to either make your way to http://www.lowendmac.com, or ebay. to get a copy at a price you can afford. Or you might want to look at http://www.distrowatch.com for some viable alternatives. Granted Linux on the PPC arch is going out of style and fast, but for the time being it could be a fix to get you up and running until you can get a viable boot disk of Tiger or Leopard.

~Drake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.