Blizzard games dont work!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    this is weak, i cant install starcraft brrod war or diablo 2. I used the native installer download thinggy that is on the blizzard website but it keeps ejecting my disc... i can install starcraft fine but not bw and diablo ii wont install either!!!! my sc disc says powermac along with windows 95 but bw and diablo just say 95/98/nt... do i have to go buy another version of these games?
  2. nerdykarim macrumors member

Feb 14, 2005
    atlanta, ga
    i've used the native installer for d2x many times. check to make sure you're not using the lod installer if you don't have the expac.
  3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Hmm, it sounds as if you only have a hybrid disc of StarCraft and that Broodwar and Diablo are PC only. I don't know if there are such discs, but I assume that even if you have the right installer, you'll need a Mac disc indeed, as it seems.
  4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    Are these discs/images you made? Perhaps the name on them is wrong.
  5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    The earliest press of those games was PC-only (I have them. :)).

If you copy/download the Mac/PC hybrids, your PC-only keys will work.
  6. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    If you have installed Starcraft, I think you may have to delete it to install BW. (just make sure you copy your savegames somewhere else first.)
  7. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    i am having the same problem. i just picked up the battle chest. it say mac and pc. on the disk. but when i try to install it it eject my play disk.i had no problem with the install disk just the play disk.
  8. J M Floyd macrumors newbie

May 11, 2004
    To get older Blizzard games to work in OSX, you first need to go to Blizzard's website and download their installer for OSX. Alternatively, you install them in Classic mode if you know how. I used to play Starcraft in Classic mode, until Blizard came up with their OSX installer. Broodwar also works well using the OSX installer and latest patches.

(However, I have a really old copy of Warcraft II that I cannot get to work in a playable state since it was designed for OS 7. Blizzard no longer supports games that old, only the "" edition of Warcraft II)

9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I already have the installer for OSX but it still doesnt work. The disc only says windows 2000/98/95/NT and nothing about mac evern though the website etc says it runs on mac and my starcraft disc runs on windows and mac. its just brood wars and diablo II that dont work at all
  10. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    As Veldek said, you don't have the Mac versions of those games, therefore you cannot install them on a Mac no matter what version of the installers you have. If the discs don't say anything about Mac system requirements, usually that means that particular disc will not run on a Mac. Period.

If I were in your position, this is one case where I can see a legitimate reason to download a pirated version of the game. If you truly paid for and own a Windoze version, you should be able to run the Mac version if you choose. I'm sure the software industry wonks would see it differently but that's my view, and I'd download that sucker and use it.
  11. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004

I am running Warcraft II on my G5 imac and G4 15" PB no problems,
    well the sound is occasionally a bit wonky but it plays well
    can't get enough of the zugzug...