Blizzard games...

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Mar 29, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Ok, help a Mac newbie out here... I'm going to get a Powerbook really soon (as soon as my tax return is deposited into my account!) and I have Warcraft 1, 2, and 3, Diablo, and Starcraft. I know that Warcraft 3 is a dual install (will work on both Mac and PC's fromt he same disc, but what about War1, 2, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo 2?

I know that there are Mac versions of these games (well, actually, I am not sure about Warcraft 1, anyone?), but just don't know if they are included on the same discs as the PC ones. If they aren't, and I have the PC edition, am I entitled to also get a Mac one somehow?

Thanks in advance,

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Blizzard used to do a weird thing... They would release two different versions of their games. One version would have JUST the windows version, and one version would have BOTH the windows and mac verisons... They didnt tend to use JUST mac versions (except they had 3 versions, including just mac, for WC2 if i remember correctly)

Basically youre just going to have to look at your CDs
  3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I agree with Chaszmyr, your going to have to check most of those games, unless they say right on the disk. Blizzard had done those mixing of games for who knows what reasons. Oh and yes warcraft 1 was for mac as well, but it would be only a os 9 game at this point if i am correct.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Something to note is that Warcraft III is the only Blizzard game out currently (that I can think of) that installs under OS X. The other ones require OS 9 or classic to be installed. A new powerbook will probably not have OS 9 or Classic. Once you get them installed, a few of them can be updated to OS X via patches on Blizzard's web site. But otherwise... you'll probably just be playing Warcraft III. If somebody can correct me I'd love to know as I have most of those games and can't really play them... :(
  5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    yeah, with Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 you're safe but those others you'll have to look. my version of Diablo was PC only so i had to buy the Mac version off EBay for $6 after shipping.
  6. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    All new Macintosh computers come with Classic still installed, you just can not boot the machines into OS 9 using the startup disk...So installing and playing the games under classic will be no problem...Plus, you can update Starcraft to run under OS X once it is installed, not sure about Warcraft II....I believe you can also update Diablo to run under OS X, but don't quote me as I don't have that game.
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I run Diablo II on my iMac in OS X it runs fine. There is an installer for Starcraft, but other then that all pre starcraft games need OS 9, Warcraft II does not run well in classic I have heard.
  8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i would love to see Diablo carbonized but i doubt that'll ever happen.
  9. Arkillion macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Right now, every blizzard game can be run, on some macintosh platfrom wether it be 9 or X.
    OS X can play the following games natively:
    Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne expansion
    Diablo 2 & Destruction expansion
    Starcraft & Brood Wars expansion
    OS X can install the following games natively:
    Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne expansion