Blizzard making other games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

This thread isn't suppose to be a bash on Blizzard or a rhetorical question, I'm generally curious, is Blizzard working on games that don't revolve around WoW? I know StarCraft: Ghost was scraped for the last gen of consoles (and probably won't be made for this gen), but what about StarCraft 2? Anything else?

I would be very disappointed in Blizzard if they just sat there milking the money from monthly WoW subscriptions and didn't come up with anything other than updates to keep people playing WoW.

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Yes World of Starcraft! :D

3. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

lol.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with this. Enough with WoW. Let's see another RTS!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i enjoy WoW the Diablo series was always my favorite. i would like to see a new installment there.

i hope they are working on something new besides WoW but who knows

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Rumor is they're working in a Diablo III. Not sure how much truth there is to that, seeing as how most of the Diablo design team parted ways with Blizzard some time ago.

7. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah,
    A lot of the Diablo team went to Guild Wars....I'd take any kind of Diablo game I can get... a straight sequel, an online deal...anything...it ended on too much of a cliffhanger and has been out too long.

Paul

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I knew this was going to happen with WoW. They'd be so successful at it, that they wont ever bother to touch their other franchises. I mean, come on, when you have 7 million people paying 15 bucks a month to play that damned dumb game, would you really bother to do anymore real work either?

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I want a new StarCraft in the WarCraft 3 style. They already have most of the 3D models from Ghost, come on, how hard could it be?! ;)

I'm sure they're working on something, but it definitely seems as though all their attention is on World of WarCraft. I would love to play it, but can't bring myself to pay a monthly fee for a game.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Oh man I'd love to see some more Diablo action. I've beaten Diablo II twice and levelled a whole buttload of characters...I'm ready for III. :D

As far as I know, Diablo is a Blizzard North project which is different than regular Blizzard, I think, which would leave them free from WoW obligations.

11. aspro macrumors 6502

I would highly doubt that they have no other projects going on… What about all those Ghost devs which now are free seeings as though Ghost is on hold. So who knows, Diablo III for consoles and pcs? I sure hope so!

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Nope. Most of Blizz North left to form Arenanet, which made the very excellent series of Guild Wars MMORPGs, that you DONT have to pay a monthly fee for. Blizzard then just absorbed the rest of their North employees and closed down North.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've heard lots of places and from reliable sources at college that during 2007 Blizzard is going to announce three! new games, none of which are MMORPGs and/or related to Warcraft in anyway.

Here's hoping for Starcraft 2, World of Starcraft later, and Diablo III.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yay! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=190642 :D

But, tbh, Blizzard don't have to do anything but put their feet up for a few more years. WoW is a big enough cash cow - lots and lots of money (around £672,000,000 a year + the startup £15 of new people) with almost no effort compared to making standalone RTSs like before

15. Tim117 macrumors regular

"Introducing WarCraft 4!" No I'm JK, that would be horrible.

I believe that Blizzard is working on SC2 because I remember a while back that they were hiring for a new RTS. Plus, SC fans are due ti a sequel! Blizzard said that there will be an announcement about their upcoming games so I hav my fingers crossed for SC2.

They'll probably put an SC2 trailer in WoW:Burning Whatever because so many people are buying it that they will have the whole worlds attention with that game.

Too bad about SC:G though.

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I will be very happy if Blizzard announces:
    *Warcraft 4
    *Starcraft 2
    *Diablo 3
    *Any other RTS or Diablo-esque action game

I will be very unhappy if Blizzard announces:
    *One more WoW-related project before their next new game announcement

While the Diablo story line was pretty much killed, I think that Diablo 3 would awesome. WC3 is my favorite Blizzard game of all time. However, when I play Diablo 2 these days I can't help but think "this is a great game, but it stands so much room for improvement!"

17. Tim117 macrumors regular

With a grit I hope they announce WoW on Xbox 360. But SC2 more than anything. With Diablo III I hope they make it like a really really good version of a game between Elder Scrolls IV and Fable That would be the best RPG of all time if they accomplished it.

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Some former Blizzard North's employees also founded Flagship Studios which is now working on Hellgate: London, that oughts to be a cool game.

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/

19. Tim117 macrumors regular

Yea, actually alot of Blizz's North employees are now there.

20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Have you played WoW? I don't think you could possibly control it effectively on a 360. Just too many abilities to use...

21. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So Diablo III is apparently out if the team left, WarCraft 4 I hope they would not do since they did WarCraft 3 and WoW as the last two projects, that leaves either StarCraft 2 or something brand new. Is the StarCraft team still with Blizzard? The people making StarCraft: Ghost left I thought, but that's something completely different than a RTS. Their website is less than helpful about upcoming stuff, it just says they're working on WoW. Lazy sob's.

22. Tim117 macrumors regular

No I've never actually played it lol.

23. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Not sure about that. 360 really suprised me with their ability to succesfully crossover to the RTS genre. I think with some effort it could work. Maybe even sell a different controller coupled with it. I doubt it will happen but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Some XBox 360 games are controlled by USB mice and keyboards anyway, so why not WoW?

Anyway, I hope there is a Starcraft game in the works.

25. applekid macrumors 68020

We know something is on the way. Inside Mac Games had a news article a few months back that said Blizzard bought a license for the Havok physics engine which will be the first time it is used in a Mac game and also caused a good amount of controversy because of the high price tag for a license making it out of reach for Mac porting houses. In other words, Blizzard's got cash and is about to make us another game.