'Blizzard WCS' Launches for iOS, Allows for Mobile Streaming of StarCraft II WCS

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Video game company Blizzard Entertainment has launched Blizzard WCS for iOS, an app made specifically for tracking the progress of the StarCraft II World Championship Series (WCS). The app allows users the ability to watch live streams of WCS matches as well as archived videos with AirPlay capability, and also features content that spotlights individual players and eSports news.

[​IMG]
    StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty originally launched on the Mac in 2010, and its expansion, StarCraft II: Heart of The Swarm launched this past March. Blizzard WCS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Blizzard WCS' Launches for iOS, Allows for Mobile Streaming of StarCraft II WCS

2. macrumors regular

Koulie

Macrumors is digging deep in the can on this one...

I'm guessing the Admins are avid StarCraft fans :p

3. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Looks very iOS 7-y.

4. macrumors 68020

Was very excited until I realized this is just a status app instead of actual game dev from Blizzard.

5. macrumors 6502a

iLilana

watching starcraft

is there a point to watching Starcraft?

6. macrumors regular

Is there a point to watching any sport or e-sport?
    It's entertaining.

7. macrumors 65816

Well at least Blizzard is finally working on a game for the iPad, "Hearthstone". Even if it is a card game...

8. macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I was just thinking earlier today that I wished I was able to watch Koreans play video games while sitting on the toilet.

Now I can.

The future is now.

9. macrumors 6502

as a starcraft fan, i'll be using this a lot :D

10. macrumors 6502

See signature. :D

11. macrumors regular

Yes I noticed this app and I think Rdio are getting to look more like iOS 7, I guess they all have access to the Beta.

12. macrumors 601

Icaras

So basically we'll be able to see which Korean wins the championship.

13. macrumors 68040

the8thark

Of cause they are. That's why the article is being written.
    MacRumors would have no idea that SC2 as an e-sport is dying. MLG and others are removing it from their line ups. And lost of people don't like the SC2 WCS format.

Blizzard need to seriously work on this. But MacRumors would not know this. And if they did, it's not in their article here.

----------

Basically yes.

14. macrumors 6502a

Or you can watch Scarlet, the little Canadian girl who is kicking a lot of Koreans asses. Yesterday I've tried the app since I was an active Starcraft players and I've seen 3 matches with this girl which is super pro.

These things are interesting only if you play Starcraft, but probably it is the game with the highest number of match views, it is very competitive and complex so usually it is fun to watch these if you understand what is happening.

15. macrumors newbie

If you don't like SC2 and watching incredibly skilled players outplay each other then sure you would think there is no point. However there are weeks where I spend a significant portion of my week watching matches. Last week for example I spent six days watching SC2 matches 8 hours a day ending at a bar on Sunday where 60 people showed up to watch.