Blizzards next big game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    I know the WoW expansion pack is due to come out (I'm thinking Fall, sadly...) and who knows what's up with Starcraft: Ghost - so aside from that, what's their next big game?

I think the last rumor I heard was something about Diablo. From what I recall, the rumors were anything from a D3 to a MMORPG Diablo.

I know some people, myself included, are anxiously waiting for Starcraft 2, but I honestly don't see that happening for a loong time. I really think Starcraft is one of the best games ever, in any genre, and the very best and most balanced RTS. While thats a great thing, I think that's what will hold back a sequel. How do you go about making a sequel (improving) the "perfect" game? I think Blizz is a bit too nervous to make that step.

Though I really wouldn't mind them trying to make an expansion for WC3 and Starcraft.
    Also, I'd LOVE it if they make starcrafts more like Warcraft 3's, however, they'd have to fix that annoying issue with hosting games. Something about constantly changing ports/ip's? Thats beyond me.
    Oh, and last request - get a SOLID crew to regulate starcraft/wacraft hackers and cheaters! Please. The and hacking thing is the only thing keeping me from STILL playing Starcraft.

Back to the original topic.
    Any thoughts?
  2. JonnyMac macrumors member

Feb 11, 2006
    I think it will definitely be something in the Diablo realm. I love WoW and have been playing it since launch so I am definitely looking forward to the expansion. If Blizz did a Diablo MMORPG how would it differ from WoW aside from different enemies to fight set in a different world? I would very much like to see a World of Starcraft! A game set in a universe with guns and hi-tech stuff could co-exist with WoW (swords and magic) without cannabilizing each other's subscription base. With that said, I think Diablo III will probably be their next game. It'd be the first 3D Diablo game- that'd be pretty cool.
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Lost Vikings: the Return for Nintendo DS, of course!

Seriously, though, I hope that they do a RTS for the DS soon, and maybe one for the Rev? I'd like a WC3 type game for the DS, complete with multiplayer more than anything at this point.

They could release 2 or 3 different carts, each one of a different group of races (and the different campaigns that go with them). Lower the price a bit for each cart ($25 instead of $35) and sell lots of copies, as well as copies of both to all the fans, and/or the people who just plain enjoyed the first one they bought.

I want to see naval warfare in this one, too. Maybe even a whole race or campaign dedicated to war at sea. Hm, that could be cool... Warcraft: Land, Air, and Sea.

3 races (and 3 seperate carts) each with 3 campaigns, each one set in a different environment; your typical land battles, a more in depth air based campaign (as opposed to the land based units can't attack air based ones we had in WC3), and a naval battle campaign.

EDIT to add that I suppose a Diablo DS game would be fun, too. :) As you can see, I'd like Blizzard to make a non-PC game next. They have the PC market pretty well in hand right now with WoW, and a little time to keep milking that wouldn't hurt them, and a DS/handheld game wouldn't effect the players of a MMO much.
  4. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    That was exactly my initial thought when I heard the rumor about the next Diablo being MMORPG. With that said though, if it is D3, I wonder how much it will change. I have a feeling theres a lot they'd want to change, as well as revise the services. Wonder what they'd do though, or when we'll hear any announcement.

I'm guessing E3 will announce the official expansion pack and maybe SC: Ghost? Hopefully more though.
  5. Ayre macrumors member

Jun 7, 2003
    SC: Ghost's development has been indefinitely suspended. Blizzard cited the reason being that they wanted to look into next-gen consoles, but it looks like for now that the game will go the way of WarCraft Adventures.

I don't think a StarCraft MMORPG will be in the works until enthusiasm over WoW dies out, but I do think Blizzard is hard at work with StarCraft 2 -- the long delay being trying to perfect it before it's unveiled to the gaming public.
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    please please give us world of diablo, a completely instence based mmorpg, with outposts on each layer
  7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Would that be Guild Wars, then? Never played it, but that's how it sounds when reviewers write about it.

It'd be cool to see, for sure, just not sure if Blizz would want to be non-original like that. Then again, they aren't a very original company, they just put more polish on a product than the competition.
  8. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    Seems like it. But at the same time, isn't that kind of how D2 plays on bnet? Personally, the towns and traveling and such is one of the drawing points of WoW for me. I'd be terribly upset if the whole/majority of the game was all instanced. While most of my time outside instances is spent in "outposts" like IF, SW, I love the option of venturing into some random part of the world and loggin out there or what have you, heh.

While I'd love to hear a surprise SC2 announcement, I'd also be a bit nervous. But Blizzard has never let me down (except for some of the server issues with WoW).

I wonder if Blizz has any plans to expand their library, or if they'll just continue on with the Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft brands. If they ever did make a new brand, I wonder what it would be. (not including Lost Vikings, Blackthorn, ROCK N ROLL RACING - which is classic, and the other few console games they made)
  9. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Actually, I've heard that all the RTS developers are gone from Blizzard. Ghost was an outsourcing project that went bad. They are frantically working to keep WoW working, and nothing else is going on there.

Can't blame them, I suppose; WoW has already made them far more money than all their past products put together.
  10. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    ahhh, no, I hope you're wrong! I've heard that some of the original RTS developers from the WC series left a while back and made Goblin Commander for consoles, but I didn't think all of their RTS guys left? Please, say it aint so!
    I dont think I could ever get used to an RTS game on a console.
  11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    A darker theme, hopefully. That's what bothers me about WoW. Everything is an animated, kindergarten adventure.

Diablo was rated "M" when it came out in 1996, and for whatever reason, Diablo II was totally watered down. That's what made the game in the first place! Burning crosses, lots of decapitated bodies, dark age atmosphere, color palette, pentagrams. It made it spooky and exciting.

So I hope that whatever D3 is, it returns to Diablo's gothic roots.

The chances of this happening are slim. The original creators/programmers left Blizzard, and now we have the insipid "World Stone." D2 essentially derailed the plot D1 had going. It was original, and captivating. D2 plays more like a comic book.

There's my rant.

That sucks. I hadn't heard about that. I played it at E3 2005, it was fun. Oh, and Warcraft Adventures lives; except now it's 3D and people pay monthly to play it.
  12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    See, to me, that is the worst part about MMO's. I prefer to have my "massive multiplayer" interaction to be in a "safe" setting, a town/outpost as you describe it. I'm not anti-PVP, though. Far from it, I LOVE a good PVP battle, but I like them contained to the appropriate areas.

A game with several towns, which were just glorified chat rooms and markets, as well as meeting grounds for partys to form would be great. Instances for all the play areas would be absolutely fine for me, with some of the more "advanced" instances being set up in such a way that another - equally sized - party could raid your "adventure".

So perhaps a MMO D3 could happen based on this differing desire. WoW for the traditional MMO players, and D3 for the people more like myself, who want a less intense, more structured game. Not to mention cheaper... Guild Wars has no fees, it's instances are all hosted on players machines, I'm assuming.

I'd never heard of WC Adventures, so googled it after reading this post... what a cool game that would have been! I almost wish I hadn't looked it, so I wouldn't know what I was missing. :p
  13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Just in case some of you didn't know it...

ArenaNet (GuildWars) and Flagship Studios (Hellgate: London) are both companies formed by former Blizzard talent.

There were Starcraft "easter eggs" in Warcraft III so I wouldn't discount the possibility. As for Diablo, I'm just not sure... check out Hellgate, that might give you the fix you're craving in that regard.

Personally I'd like to see any game in the Starcraft universe and definitely think a 'Starcraft Universe' MMO would be killer for them, but can they really handle two MMORPGs? They already have their work cut out for them with WoW!

SC2 would be my pick for 'most wanted' though.
  14. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Victoria, B.C.
    I would love a new Diablo. Diablo was the first PC game I really got into... I was in my early teens. Now that I've switched to Mac, I'm looking forward to some more decent Mac games. I'm not a big gamer at all, but I do really like Diablo.
  15. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    sadly, I really doubt that Blizz can handle 2 MMORPG's. WoW really has their hands full. From the new content, expansion, servers, etc. they still have a LOONG way to go before they can or should devote part of the staff to a new MMORPG.
    I'd actually be upset to hear if they released a new (Diablo) MMMORPG because of this.
  16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Plain and simple - Starcraft 2. It is so long overdue, and now that Ghost has been canned, they really ned to do something with Starcarft. WoS would be cool, but I don't know if Blizzard could handle it, so I'd say focus on SC2 and give the public what they want. Another DIablo would be cool as well, but not as cool as Starcraft 2. :cool:

Alas, I fear we will have a long wait... Even if Blizzard announced development on it this year, we wouldn't be seeing it until 2010... :(
  17. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    How do you think they'd change Starcraft? I'm sure they'd want to go in the direction of Warcraft and use 3D, however, I hope that they keep the textures darker. Warcraft has always been colorful, but SC is just a dark and grimy game and needs to stay that way. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the hydralisk, marine, firebat, and zergling "easter eggs" in Warcraft 3. It just didn't feel like Starcraft to me.

Maybe they'd add hero units? Another race? No matter what they do though, I feel like they'd be HARD pressed to please even a majority of the Starcraft followers. I hope I'm wrong though, Blizzard rarely dissapoints.
  18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Yeah, they could add actual hero units, although having the heroes as they were in SC (Raynor, Kerrigan) was fine by me.

As for another race, most definitely - they would probbaly add in the Protoss-Zerg hybrid race which Duran had involvment with during Brood War, or perhaps even bring back the Xel'Naga somehow! :eek: ;) :cool:
  19. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    Thats an interesting idea. I feel though, that adding heroes units as they are in WC3 would totally change the type of RTS game that SC is. I know when Blizz first announced WC3, they were calling it a sort of... RPG RTS, and while it didn't turn out how they originally planned it did put a MUCH larger focus on micro management, whereas I felt Starcrafts focus was moreso on massing units and such.

Adding experience would totally change the way the game is played. I remember when I had extra money I'd just mass zerglings and send them at my enemies base to just annoy him and keep him on his toes while I get more gas. If I were to do something like that in Wc3 (mass footmen/ghouls/grunts) and constantly send them to my enemies base to just harass and die, I'd really be helping the enemy by giving him experience.

I actually dont know which style I enjoy more, as I still LOVE starcraft and currently play WC3. Again, I just wishwishwish they fixed up Starcrafts and hackers.
  20. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I am a huge warcraft 3/ WoW fan and blizzard fan ofcorse. I would like to see something a long teh line of diablo 3. Its starnge but i never played diablo, *waits for diablo 2 to finish installing* but i will now. Blizzard makes so much money from wow and they know it, they will probebly work on another expantion for wow (not counting the one they are working on now) and maybe a RTS or diablo style game. Know Blizzard they could suprise us all and come out with something totaly different.

They could make a movie, i dont mean make it them selfs but they could make a movie about WoW, somethign like LoTR.
  21. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2006
    Thats a great idea! I've always thought that they've had some great CG scenes and it seems like they were putting a lot of emphasis in their recent CG scenes. That would be amazing to see a movie based on any of their titles.