Bloated library?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mal, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

My iTunes library is about 3-4 GB's larger than the total shown in iTunes, even after I factor in the games and podcasts that don't show up there. Part of the reason is likely some of the songs I've deleted without getting rid of the originals (indecisiveness on my part), but that wouldn't account for the huge difference in size. I'm guessing there's some duplicate files in there, for whatever reason, but is there a way to get rid of them without going folder by folder? Or is there another reason I've got that extra space used up in there?

jW

2. mokeyjoe macrumors member

If you mass select all your itunes folders and drag them onto itunes it'll add all the files back into your library. Then you could select 'Show Duplicates' and just delete the dupes.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you've set iTunes to manage your library, and have plenty of space (somewhere, either on your disk or an external), you could move your library using consolidate and then delete the old music folder (and move it back if you want).

Or you could check out Doug's Scripts to see if there's a script that will run through your library and music folder and get rid of those files that aren't in the library...

4. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

I guess I'm going to try moving my library (I've got the space, as long as I delete it again soon after), since Doug's Scripts doesn't seem to have one to do that. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

jW