Block network computers from viewing my Safari log

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by latergator116, Oct 23, 2004.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

My brother has his computer downstairs and I know that he can/does view what websites I go to. I am wondering if it is possible to block other computers on my network from viewing my Safari log? Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks.

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

What makes you suspect he is viewing your safari logs? I don't know if file sharing users can access those files, as I haven't tried. If you have file sharing enabled and these files can be read by other users the easiest thing I can think of to do is to use a program like SharePoints to limit the directories that users have access to, or simply clear your history.

Safari keeps it's history in the file ~/Library/Safari/History.plist

The other likely scenario is that you are behind a router and he is having the router send logs to his computer. Some routers have the option to dump access logs to a certain ip. If you don't use file sharing then this may be what is happening.

3. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thanks. I didn't have on file sharing, but I had on personal web sharing, so I turned that off. I don't know how that ever got on in the frist place.

He has been making some comments lately about some websites that I visited, so I know he is tracking where I go. I have a feeling he is using the second scenario you described

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Personal web sharing wouldn't have anything to do with it unless it's sharing ~/Library instead of ~/Sites. He doesn't have admin access on your Mac does he? Also, he might be using a packet sniffer to watch your web traffic as it happens.