Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Is there a way to block or ignore an entire sub-forum? For instance, could I ignore the entire "Politics, Religion, and Social Issues" forum so that it doesn't show up in my searches?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Heb,
I've not put any one on ignore, but the only way I've checked out is to visit the User CP (Control Panel) and under Miscellaneous, enter user names in the Ignore Panel and save. I'm not aware of being able to block an entire sub-forum.

A personal side note, if you'd permit me, and please don't take this as any patronizing remark. I won't pretend to speak for anyone else. I've not been in here all that long and don't "live" in the Political, Religious sub-forum area. I too usually like to check out the various topics of interest, some times technical and Mac related, other times just in the Community. Though the posts and posters are very much diversified and represent extremes from both ends of any spectrum of controversial issues, there are quite a few who are people of faith in here. They may not think the same nor express themselves in the same way, but they are passionate none the less. You've had the guts to stand up and take some heat. I commend you for that. You are not a coward. Some where along the line, it's both healthy and beneficial to have different views expressed in different ways. I guess what I'm trying to appeal to is that you consider just giving that part of the posting a rest, and come back when you feel the need to. There are certainly other ways to search or unsubscribe so you won't be bombarded daily with post reminders. Anyway, I felt to say that to you. Hope you take it in the way it was meant. Good luck.
X

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
xsedrinam said:
Heb,
I've not put any one on ignore, but the only way I've checked out is to visit the User CP (Control Panel) and under Miscellaneous, enter user names in the Ignore Panel and save. I'm not aware of being able to block an entire sub-forum.

A personal side note, if you'd permit me, and please don't take this as any patronizing remark. I won't pretend to speak for anyone else. I've not been in here all that long and don't "live" in the Political, Religious sub-forum area. I too usually like to check out the various topics of interest, some times technical and Mac related, other times just in the Community. Though the posts and posters are very much diversified and represent extremes from both ends of any spectrum of controversial issues, there are quite a few who are people of faith in here. They may not think the same nor express themselves in the same way, but they are passionate none the less. You've had the guts to stand up and take some heat. I commend you for that. You are not a coward. Some where along the line, it's both healthy and beneficial to have different views expressed in different ways. I guess what I'm trying to appeal to is that you consider just giving that part of the posting a rest, and come back when you feel the need to. There are certainly other ways to search or unsubscribe so you won't be bombarded daily with post reminders. Anyway, I felt to say that to you. Hope you take it in the way it was meant. Good luck.
X
Thanks for the words, I appreciate it. I just get way to into posting in there when I should be reading for class :rolleyes: Its really not a thing against anybody in there or disliking the conversations. But you have a good point, maybe I'll just try to moderate the time i spend in there.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've been searching for a way since you first made the topic and have come up with nothing. Maybe there just isn't a way to block a whole area of the forums, sorry. :(

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
mad jew said:
I've been searching for a way since you first made the topic and have come up with nothing. Maybe there just isn't a way to block a whole area of the forums, sorry. :(
Yeah I haven't been able to find anything after looking awhile longer. Its ok I guess, I think xsedrinam convinced me not to do it anyways :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
This won't really help for your specific situation but if you click those little get buttons on the right side of the forums that'll hide the whole section. Maybe there's some way to hide sub-forums the same way?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
tech4all said:
This won't really help for your specific situation but if you click those little get buttons on the right side of the forums that'll hide the whole section. Maybe there's some way to hide sub-forums the same way?
What's a "get button" and how do I find it?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Heb1228 said:
What's a "get button" and how do I find it?

A gel button as in the kind used in OS X. Sorta pill-shaped. There on the right side of the bar of the name of the particular forum. Actually if you reply to this message, below it'll say "Additional Options", on that same bar to the right a gel button is there. Click that and it'll hide that section. Again not quite what you were looking for, but maybe there's a mod out there to do that to sub-forums or something.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I know there is a way to do this for the searches, vbulletin.org did it for their VB 2 forum, you could choose if you wanted to search for it or not. I could try and speak with one of them (if i ever go back to that site that is) Or you can look into a modification for it.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If you're doing an Advanced Search, you can specify which forums you want to include in your search (and save those preferences). However, if you're using the generic "New posts" link above, there is no way to customize it.

Unfortunately, I don't see how to duplicate the "New posts" search in Advanced Search - it keeps asking me for keywords or user names.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I believe there is a way to do what you want when searching.

First of all, you need to tell the forum system which forums you are routinely interested in (and therefore which you aren't). You can do this using the Forum Tools -> Subscribe to This Forum menu choice on the main page of each of those particular forums. You only have to do this once to define your list. You can review your subscribed forums (or remove them if you change your mind) by looking in your control panel (User CP in the menu bar).

Now look at the Search in Forum(s) section on the lower right of the Search Page. Instead of using the default of Search All Open Forums, you should use Search Subscribed Forums and uncheck the Also search in child forums checkbox. That should limit your search to the forums in your subscription list, and none of their subforums!

I never tested this before, but I just did and it works for me.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
In the search window you can also highlight certain forums to search by control+clicking their names in the list.

There's also an interesting-looking "Save search preferences" button

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
An extra option has appeared in the control panel since I first posted this question. I figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else was looking for an answer to the same question.

Go to: User CP -> Edit Options -> Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"

The last option in that box is an "Exclude Forums" list. You can enter the numerical ID of any forum and a "New Posts" search will exclude those Forums/Subforums. For example, if you enter "47" in that box, then you won't see threads from the Politics, Religion, Social Issues Forum.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Heb1228 said:
An extra option has appeared in the control panel since I first posted this question. I figured I'd update the thread in case anyone else was looking for an answer to the same question.

Yep...here's the thread from March from when this feature was implemented. It's also in the MR Forums FAQ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.