Block Specific Websites?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Dec 14, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Is there a simple way to block a certain website on a computer? for instance, say I go to a board too often and it distracts me but i dont wanna go for a week how can i do this? I dont have enough self control?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You may want to start with counseling :eek:

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

There is a program called Little Snitch which will block specific websites. It's shareware but I heard its good.

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Would you be talking about a particular board that we all know and love? I need to spend less time on it, too.

5. Poeben macrumors 6502

Interesting question. If I recall correctly, in OS 9 you could create a hosts file that you could list sites to block. I think it was part of the network settings, but I don't remember and don't care to boot into 9. Don't know if there is a similar thing in os x, though I imagine there are several ways to do it (ipfw for one?)

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Chances are good, no matter what you use to block it (little snitch does come to mind), you'll be able to unblock it just as easily. If you're controlling the block, a lack of self-control will still be a problem.

But I have to say, if you're at this point, counseling may seriously be an option. Sounds like you have a problem with internet addiction. I know it sounds funny, but so does blocking websites from yourself...

unless you're kidding?

paul

7. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

some routers (DLINK for sure, uncertain about others) let you block all computers on the network from going to certain URLs. You could block it that way.

8. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

hahaha, i am seriousl, and no, i dont need counseling, I probably spend no more than an hour on it at the day,, it just distracts me and its finals time, so I need to actually focus 24/7 and do work but thanks for the advice