Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite a bankruptcy filing in 2010 and an acquisition by Dish Network in 2011, Blockbuster has maintained an online movie rental presence. Earlier this year, the company (now a subsidiary of Dish) relaunched its Blockbuster On Demand streaming movie service, available on computers, Android devices, and Samsung Smart TVs.

The relaunch did not include an iOS app, leaving mobile users without a way to access the service's movies on a portable device, but that was remedied today with the release of the Blockbuster On Demand app for the iPad and the iPhone. Using the app, subscribers can watch the full library of on demand Blockbuster titles from their iOS devices.

blockbusterondemand.jpg
-Thousands of hit movies and new releases - rent and watch instantly or save to your Watchlist and view later
-Tons of movies you love - hand-selected titles with the highest ratings from Rotten Tomatoes®
-Stream Instantly -- phone, tablet, laptop, Samsung Smart TV, Roku, and more
-Amazing sound and video - stunning HD movies in full Surround Sound
-Easy shopping and viewing - prime movie watching experience
-No subscription or late fees - pay only for what you watch
Unlike Netflix, Blockbuster On Demand offers up movies on a per-purchase basis, charging between $2.99 and $4.99 for a movie rental. The Blockbuster On Demand iOS app is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Blockbuster Launches On Demand App for iOS

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yea I heard they scraped up the cash for an old Pentium 2 server to get this thing rolling.

Michael

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I just can't do $4.99 for a rental, I don't know what it is, but it seems so high to me. Anything over $5 to just rent a viewing and I instantly get turned off. Maybe it's Redbox, or Netflix or when it's streaming knowing how little it costs them. And when I say turned off, it's seriously like, "There is no way I'm paying that, even for a movie I am dying to see"

There must be studies on this, I can't imagine I'm the only person that feels this way. I just don't understand why they are still trying to get $5 to watch a movie when for whatever reason $3 and I'd be all, awesome let's do this.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I just can't do $4.99 for a rental, I don't know what it is, but it seems so high to me. Anything over $5 to just rent a viewing and I instantly get turned off. Maybe it's Redbox, or Netflix or when it's streaming knowing how little it costs them. And when I say turned off, it's seriously like, "There is no way I'm paying that, even for a movie I am dying to see"

There must be studies on this, I can't imagine I'm the only person that feels this way. I just don't understand why they are still trying to get $5 to watch a movie when for whatever reason $3 and I'd be all, awesome let's do this.

I don't get the pricing at all. Even at $3 I probably wouldn't do it with a Redbox on every corner.

Michael

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
The actual headline of this article should've been:

"Blockbuster still exists!….

…Decides to launch iOS app"

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I don't get the pricing at all. Even at $3 I probably wouldn't do it with a Redbox on every corner.

Michael

Yeah I agree, but at $3, if it's HD you've got to compare it more to a BluRay price at Redbox, so now we're almost to $2. So in my mind it's $1 to not have to wait in line for that person to stand there reading the description of every movie in the redbox while I already reserved my copy on my phone.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
What do they offer that iTunes doesn't?

Anything over $5 to just rent a viewing and I instantly get turned off. ... And when I say turned off, it's seriously like, "There is no way I'm paying that, even for a movie I am dying to see"

Well, some (many) do. If I want to watch it, know I'm only going to watch it once, and figure it's not gonna be in Redbox nor Neetflix at any convenient time, I'll shell out a few bucks. Yeah it gets harder over $5, but if circumstances/company dictates I'll do it. Considering how much I'm saving via no cable TV subscription, a few sporadic dollars extra is fine.

If you figure $50/mo is typical for TV, dump it, get Netflix for $8/mo and expect another $10/mo for Redbox etc., that's a big gap remaining for "yeah I wanna watch it now" and still save a bundle.

----------

Even at $3 I probably wouldn't do it with a Redbox on every corner.
Considering how often (not a lot, but enough to matter) m'lady picks up a couple movies at Redbox and then doesn't watch 'em for 2-3 days (if at all), incurring daily charges, I'm inclined to pay more for rental streaming when we're actually going to watch something. Just averages out better.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I know a lot of you are being sarcastic…but for any who may not be: Yes, Blockbuster is still around. They still have stores. In regards to movie by mail programs, Blockbuster is still better than Netflix, overall.

In regards to the digital movie rental (Blockbuster on Demand)….this has been around for years. Only this iOS app is new. Which I can’t fathom why it took so long. It should have been on every platform and system years ago. The service existed. They should have made it much more easy for people to get to and use. And you can’t compare this to Netflix. You have to compare it to other On Demand services….Amazon, iTunes, using on-demand via your cable provider, etc.. The pricing is on par. But I don’t go for on-demand rentals and am not a fan of any of the pricing on any on-demand service.

Blockbuster’s problem was and still is marketing. Even though they were far better than Netflix (still are with mail), they didn’t promote themselves. So, very few people have known this. On the digital front, they have no advantage that I can see, other than to Dish customers who get the Blockbuster digital service included with the satellite service. For Dish Customers this is great.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Considering how often (not a lot, but enough to matter) m'lady picks up a couple movies at Redbox and then doesn't watch 'em for 2-3 days (if at all), incurring daily charges, I'm inclined to pay more for rental streaming when we're actually going to watch something. Just averages out better.
Yea that is true though doesn't happen much in my case. Of course as I write this I have sitting next to me a Redbox movie that will never go back: I left it in my office and forgot about it for a month. I now own it. To add insult to injury I still have not watched it.

Michael

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
In regards to the digital movie rental (Blockbuster on Demand)….this has been around for years. Only this iOS app is new. Which I can’t fathom why it took so long. It should have been on every platform and system years ago.
I'd guess because they didn't want to give Apple 30% from every rental and recently decided maybe access to iOS users was worth that 30%. It's a big chunk!

Me, I already subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Plus and don't have cable or any satellite TV, so I'm happy for another on demand rental option that ISN'T yet another monthly subscription — especially if their selection has decent stuff that the other stores don't.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA

I feel the same way.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Blockbuster is still better than Netflix, overall.

No they aren't. Look at all the customers who fled Blockbuster and went to Netflix. Look at the customer satisfaction for Netflix. Blockbuster became a dinosaur in 2006 and remains one today. And their efforts to copy the Netflix model have failed.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

Netflix has really set the standard, & killed the idea of paying several dollars per rental.

Just went to see a movie in a theatre for the first time in years. $14 for each ticket. For the two of us, that's $28 for 2hrs of viewing in a theatre, vs 4 months of continuous viewing on Netflix. (+ cokes that actually taste like cokes and don't cost $7ea, and rooms that don't have sticky floors and obnoxious idiots, & a pause/rew button and and and...

The old 1900s movie industry is screwed, top to bottom.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Netflix has really set the standard, & killed the idea of paying several dollars per rental.

Just went to see a movie in a theatre for the first time in years. $14 for each ticket. For the two of us, that's $28 for 2hrs of viewing in a theatre, vs 4 months of continuous viewing on Netflix. (+ cokes that actually taste like cokes and don't cost $7ea, and rooms that don't have sticky floors and obnoxious idiots, & a pause/rew button and and and...

The old 1900s movie industry is screwed, top to bottom.

At least they now offer interest-free financing on the large popcorn.

Michael

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I know a lot of you are being sarcastic…but for any who may not be: Yes, Blockbuster is still around. They still have stores. In regards to movie by mail programs, Blockbuster is still better than Netflix, overall.

They completely pulled out of Canada a year or so ago.

But anyway, to anyone under 40, the Blockbuster name is a joke now. Even if their service is good, they won't be able to make it on that brand. (Sort of like how Windows Phone is a decent OS, but no one wants a "Windows" phone.)

Antares

macrumors 68000
No they aren't. Look at all the customers who fled Blockbuster and went to Netflix. Look at the customer satisfaction for Netflix. Blockbuster became a dinosaur in 2006 and remains one today. And their efforts to copy the Netflix model have failed.

Yes, Blockbuster is better and that is not an opinion, it is a fact, feature-wise (I’m only talking about the mail rental program and not digital stream services). However, companies with the best products and services aren’t always the most successful ones. Marketing and business decisions can be the downfall. That is the case with Blockbuster. Look at the features of Blockbuster Mail versus Netflix Mail. Blockbuster has newer releases than Netflix. The get some movies weeks to a month before Netflix. Blu-ray is included and game rentals are also included. You could also exchange mail discs at stores to get a movie immediately rather than waiting for one to come in the mail. With Netflix, they had no game rentals and blu-ray rentals are an extra fee. Plus, you have no way to exchange at a store to get a movie immediately.

Customers fled Blockbuster for the mail rentals. Blockbuster didn’t have them at first. The problem was that Netflix started their mail rental service a year or two before Blockbuster did. If Blockbuster had the foresight to do this first or around the same time, Netflix would have never succeeded. But they didn’t…and that is why they are where they’re at, today. Even though what Blockbuster provides is better, they have little chance of getting those customers back. Poor marketing and too late to the party.

With Blockbuster’s physical stores closing at a rapid pace, they are losing the in-store exchange advantage. Netflix is also starting to include game rentals. So, Blockbuster is losing that advantage. If you don’t care about Blu-ray rentals, Netflix is also slightly cheaper at their base DVD rate. Netflix is what people think about now. People have little incentive to switch over to Blockbuster. In fact, most people don’t even realize that Blockbuster had movie rental by mail since 2004. Crappy marketing there. They were focused on physical stores when they should have been pushing their mail rental service like Netflix did.

Regardless, Blockbuster is owned by Dish. They will not go out of business unless Dish sells them or shuts the division down….which doesn’t look likely.

Most of the stores near me have closed and I now have to drive 10 miles, each way, to get to one. The in store exchange was the best feature for me and this pisses me off. The thing is, the majority of physical Blockbuster stores are closing not because they are unsuccessful (not profitable) . It is because landlords are refusing to renew the leases of these stores. Profitable stores are closing because they are being kicked out. The company is have trouble finding locations to move these stores to because landlords also will not give them a lease or a prime location. So landlords are screwing them over, there.

As a customer, this sucks for all of us. We get less benefits with Netflix than we do with Blockbuster. But Netflix is catching up (they never will with in-store exchange).

But anyway, to anyone under 40, the Blockbuster name is a joke now. Even if their service is good, they won't be able to make it on that brand. (Sort of like how Windows Phone is a decent OS, but no one wants a "Windows" phone.)
Well, I'm definitely under 40. But maybe in Canada is what you are referring to....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.