Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JummpyXMPP

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
mobile carrier switch, server side filtering, control via app or interweb

For YEARS I have been insisting mobile carriers expose PBX-like functionality to subscribers. Read about PBX in a Flash (non-commercial, open source) , FreeSwitch, other Asterisk flavors, or IP PBX. If you're paying more than $15/mo for voip and-not receiving all the power of Asterisk you are burning money.

We'll see, now that average people like yourself, no offense intended, are demanding such in common-speak.

Apps could very well interact with carrier switch software instead of lame client-side filtering: block vs ignore

Alternatively VOIP.
Use multiple DIDs like multiple email addresses. Normal people finally adopted having multiple email addresses. Use the power of PBX to filter before passing to mobile. DID (Direct Inward Dial) think: Watts IN

• provide a DID for forms especially medical
  • provide a DID for unknown persons
  • provide a DID for trusted emergency contact
  • ** set its callerID to the DID so your phone need only whitelist one number, or no app interaction for non smart phones​

but what of sms? let sms die. XMPP is for texting. Parents love to discover their kids can send umpteen million messages in pure text via XMPP -- as they are mandated to purchase data from the carrier

again:

• XMPP replaces sms

voip providers are entering the SMS forray. sms prices will necessarily drop like a broken rocket.

this will provide PBX like, server side filtering of sms. stop paying to receive spam. But replacing sms with xmpp immediately solve that problem as xmpp has mature privacy controls:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0016.html

The carriers so FEARED XMPP that they removed the nearly-XMPP app (gtalk) from android prior to release of first android device and have suppressed it ever since. It is trivial to install an actual XMPP client now:

http://guardianproject.info/wiki/Always_Secure_Messaging

Since carriers need expose switch functionality, while expanding feature set extensively they should also

• expose RDNIS information to subscriber
  • ** more sophisticated telephony apps​

Last edited:

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Port your number into Google Voice or Line2. Google voice is free but not as reliable as Line2. Line2 costs $10 a month, but is much more reliable and has better customer service.

You will need to speak with your carrier and ask them exactly what you need to do in order to make the process work so that you get a new number but don't cancel your plan and incur an ETF. Don't just port the number, make sure you coordinate with them.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I'm with Verizon and I wish I could block all unwanted / unknown & telemarketers. with Verizon you can block up to 5 for so many days and then you have to renew. I jailbroke my 4 and used a call block app (iblacklist) and it was PERFECT! you could set the calls to go to voicemail, pick up/hang up or simply give a busy signal. wish I didn't have to jailbreak my 5 in order to have that feature again.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
While it would be a "nice" feature, it's by no means anything worth losing sleep over.

If you don't want to take a call, don't answer it. Don't like that they left a vmail? Delete it. They call 30 times a day? Get a civil order of protection (injunction against harassment in some states...) and have them served (chances are, even if you blocked them, they would just move on to another victim... legal action can shake up a harasser). Business calling you non-stop telemarketing? No-call list (and dont be afraid to call your AG and let them know if someone is ignoring it).

Are there loopholes? Sure. And blocking them wouldn't stop them anyway.

I know it's a huge burden to be bothered deleting a VM, but with the iPhone you don't even have to listen to it. Just delete it.

If you are a teenager and can't control your curiosity ad have to listen no matter what, that speaks for itself.

And if you absolutely are horrified by the concept of unwanted calls: Jailbreak. Is it for everyone? Nope. But neither is having such a hard time dealing with nusiance calls. They annoy. So do lots of things. There isn't an app for blocking Al Sharpton, but somehow I survive...

Last edited:

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Blocking calls

You'll never get the carrier to block all the telemarketers because there in cahoots with them.

Google Voice is an alternative, from personal experience , it works on and off.

I know if a call comes through on my iPhone and the number is NOT listed in my contacts I hang up on them.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
On VZW you can sign up for Caller ID and Caller ID Blocking so you can block your number on the outbound and at least see the caller ID on the inbound. While it's not a perfect solution it is one Verizon does specifically so you can ignore unwanted telemarketers etc.

Of course I put everyone of our mobile numbers, including MiFi's (why not) on the national and state DNC lists, of course we know they are about as useful as a politician at a pancake breakfast but still something is better than nothing.

You can also block up to 10 numbers for 3 months at a time on Verizon, I have also found this to be useful in the past when trying to deal with someone who didn't get the point I no longer needed to talk with them. After 3 months it drops off, you can put it back on or most likely they got the point.

JummpyXMPP

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
"do no evil" farce

Port your number into Google Voice or Line2....
Google voice is free but not as reliable as Line2

googlevoice, like all google "free" services, replaces monetary COST with privacy-violation COST. Why does google bridge two call legs AND remain a third party to EVERY call? hmmm. Google does not provide service options because they love you! All your thoughts are belong to google, too.

EFF: privacy
EPIC: privacy

yes, there are free lunches to be had, but selling a piece of your soul is not a bargain. *

Line2 as an android app extracts all sorts of information from the phone it reallllly doesn't need. Be sure to patch the ROM with PDroid. I am unaware of similar for iOS, but I would be happy to be educated about such. :)

Line2 costs $10 a month

A hosted IP PBX (VPS) is $15/mo ** and again all the power- and features you could want, and want soon after learning about all that's possible.

the $5/mo "savings" line2 vs IP PBX is laughable.

much more reliable and has better customer service.

there is _some_ truth to that. In an IP PBX environment you yourself typically are first line support. Although some IP PBX hosts are more pliant- or CS savvy than others.

You will need to speak with your carrier and ask them exactly what you need to do in order to make the process work

LLOL (something rarely typed). I have a difficult time convincing a given carrier that such a product- or service exists AND is sold by them. Good luck with that.

so that you get a new number

< $4.50

but don't cancel your plan and incur an ETF.

new rules make that penalty pro-rated.

Don't just port the number, make sure you coordinate with them

While you decide you ought consider porting the number to an ITSP you- or your peers trust. Think of it as long term airport parking. You'll pay a SMALL monthly fee-- and should you choose collect voicemail (with email WAV), forwarding for small per minute fee ($0.015), or as few or as many PBX features as you like -- meanwhile your carrier will have assigned a new number to your mobile device automaniacally

jailbroke my 4 and used a call block app (iblacklist) and it was PERFECT!

that is not blocking: that is ignoring.

In much the same way ad blocking prevents the content from loading whereas ad element hiding allows it to load- and render, but then quickly hide it from view.

I've been doing this for months now. I have a contact called "Do Not Answer" and a ringtone of silen

Here is the Silent Ringtone.

I have a few contacts relegated to indefinitely silenced by ringtone

Contrarily I have high priority whitelist callers. On android I use Llama to allow silent mode break-through. I haven't found an iphone equivalent yet

Look up YouMail in the App Store.

http://www.youmail.com/home/index.do

They will allow you to create custom messages for Blocked/Unknown numbers and give you the option to allow them to go to voicemail or hang up after the voicemail.

This is also not blocking: this is ignoring.

But ignoring with a block-twist. With ignoring the phone still receives the call from the tower, ignored in some mode (silent, instant divert, whatever), youmail (third party voicemail) plays a custom greeting (silence again if you please (I do)), then disallow voicemail message recording, hangup

eventually even the dimmest people figure out I'm never ever taking their call

youmail "free" is actually adware (malware). Be sure to buy a service level from youmail if you intent to use the app on your phone. You need not use the app: setup no-answer/busy forwarding to youmail, have youmail email you upon new message, dial youmail access or view on the interweb

You'll never get the carrier to block all the telemarketers

true.

But we can convince the carrier to give us the powers to block them ourselves.

I know if a call comes through on my iPhone and the number is NOT listed in my contacts I hang up on them.

there are whitelist apps which do exactly that for you

On VZW you can sign up for Caller ID and Caller ID Blocking
you might want to start requesting "anonymous call rejection" -- a terrestial phone feature that disallows the call to reach your handset if the caller does not pass valid callerID information (at least a number, if not number+CNAM)

While it would be a "nice" feature, it's by no means anything worth losing sleep over.

very little is worth losing sleep over though. It's hardly merely "nice"; in this new millennium it's absolutely essential. Have more people (peers, countryment, interweb pals/stalkers) write paper-letters demanding these features

If you don't want to take a call, don't answer it.

I would prefer the incoming call that I DID NOT WANT not interrupt my use of the phone at the moment of the unwanted call

No-call list (and dont be afraid to call your AG and let them know if someone is ignoring it).

Unfortunately many of the abusers are in the waived zone "business relationship" typically for interweb services.

And blocking them wouldn't stop them anyway.

Right. But IT WOULD stop bothering ME.

Last edited:

Tophersky

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
With Sprint, all I have to is send a text to 9999 with block [irritating phone number here] and I get no more calls from that number. It works with texts too (if someone is using email to spam your SMS)

It doesn't cost anything extra, and I don't have to do anything other than that.
Also, Sprint is the only US carrier to allow this thru the handset (even on iPhones). But go on...tell me again how much Sprint sucks, maybe you can tell that to all the morons calling your phones.

In case any Sprint customers are interested, here is the full list on how to block unwanted calls/texts.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Telemarketers, easy register your cell phone number with the Federal "Do Not Call" registry. If they ignore it remind them that by law they cannot call you and that they will be reported. Stops it real quick. Been there done that.

tdmd

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
If you're with AT&T, they have something called Smart Limits ($5/month), which allows you to block up to 30 numbers. I was getting unwanted calls every day by some company that wanted to "lower my interest rates." They called from numbers from all over the US. When I got to a real person, I would say take me off your list, but they would hang up once they heard the word "take." Anyways, I called AT&T and complained about the harrassing phone calls and if there was anything I could do. The rep said I could change my number and they would waive the number change fee. I was not cool with that and explained that this should be a free feature. He then offered me credit for 3 months of the Smart Limits ($15), and I said these guys will call me after 3 months. I asked for a year of the Smart Limits for free and he asked his supervisor and was able to credit me a free year of the program. The thing was that the rep had the same problem with the same folks bothering him and his mother so he understood and went to bat for me. Just remember to be nice and courteous to the rep and they will go to bat for you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you're with AT&T, they have something called Smart Limits ($5/month), which allows you to block up to 30 numbers. I was getting unwanted calls every day by some company that wanted to "lower my interest rates." They called from numbers from all over the US. When I got to a real person, I would say take me off your list, but they would hang up once they heard the word "take." Anyways, I called AT&T and complained about the harrassing phone calls and if there was anything I could do. The rep said I could change my number and they would waive the number change fee. I was not cool with that and explained that this should be a free feature. He then offered me credit for 3 months of the Smart Limits ($15), and I said these guys will call me after 3 months. I asked for a year of the Smart Limits for free and he asked his supervisor and was able to credit me a free year of the program. The thing was that the rep had the same problem with the same folks bothering him and his mother so he understood and went to bat for me. Just remember to be nice and courteous to the rep and they will go to bat for you.
If they call from random numbers how would a block list (of 30 numbers or even more) really help with that if the next call will more than likely from some random new number?

tdmd

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
If they call from random numbers how would a block list (of 30 numbers or even more) really help with that if the next call will more than likely from some random new number?

they called from 5-6 numbers. they're limited in how many numbers they can call from. anyways, you got 30 numbers to block. i havent been bothered by them since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.