BlogApp 1.3 - Great for anyone with a blog at blogger.com

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by edesignuk, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just found this great little OS X app. If you have a blog at blogger.com then you can post directly to it from this neat little app, it's great! It makes posting your most recent thoughts an absolute breeze & is much quicker than going via the website, although if you want to change any of your blogs settings you will still have to use bloggers web interface.

Website
    Download (151kb)

2. macrumors 65816

WTF is a blog? I've seen it like 7 times in the past 3 days.

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors 65816

So people just enter in personal events like a diary, post it on the net and other people read and enjoy them? Not sure I understand the phenomenon.

5. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Uh...

right...Don't understand it....How different is this from POSTING in a normal website?

6. macrumors 6502

It's not really all that different. The beauty of it, like these forums is that you're able to have a "presence" on the web/internet without having to know any thing about web servers, html, javascript, etc. As part of a contracting assignment a year or so back I was asked to setup a weblog server from Userland. Quite frankly their code is junk but it does make it easy for people to have their own website with a minimal amount of effort.

7. macrumors 65816

alset

Does this system support Flash? Is it strictly HTML?

Dan

8. macrumors regular

Archipelago

Just to throw a little competition in. . .

There's also Archipelago which I believe may do the same thing for free and so far in my experience it's pretty dependable.

9. macrumors 6502

Blogger.com

pros:
    ---
    1. easy to use
    2. archives your entries
    3. Lots of basic templates to choose from
    4. Basic Blogger is FREE
    5. Lot of people use it

cons:
    ---
    1. Security issues, giving them your FTP login/password for your site. Most people don't mind, some do.

2. For those who are HTML savvy, you can whip up a much better template for your entries than what Blogger generates. Because it's a loop generation, all entries are formatted in the same style, which is frustrating if you want more flexibility. I think Blogger Pro addresses this, but you pay for it.

3. The archive feature is hard to maneuver around. There is no search feature, and to find a particular blog can be painstaking since all you have to nav through are date ranges.

4. I don't think there are security features for your blog (i.e., password access). So, your blogs are viewable to all (I guess that's the point).

10. macrumors regular

My blogger...

I have had a blogger for six months and for the most part like it.

However, I agree that the archives are a pain in the butt but the rest of it works well for me.

Check mine out..

CGMP Blogger

When you're finished, check out the rest of my website.

CGMP.org