Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgrisham

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
This guy refused a new motherboard, which would have solved his problem, because he thought ALL GeForce 8600M GT chips are defective. He was wrong about that, and so was the judge who "ruled that Rex's machine was not repairable."

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Bah. My $1,500 MSI laptop has been flawless for 18 months (and counting). People I follow on Twitter have had far more issues with their Macs, but to each his own. Or her, I suppose.

Try to sell that 18 month old MSI laptop.... be lucky to get 500.00. I sell my Mac's at 3 years and typically get more than 60% of the original purchase price. If they were as unreliable as you claim the user market would be so lucrative.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
This guy sounds like a baby. Seems like he was just trying to be devils advocate and get money for nothing. They offered to replace the broken parts for him but he thought he would get another defective part. Some people need to grow up.

Why is that juvenile? The 8600M had an almost-100% failure rate. You can't be serious.

My early-2008 MacBook Pro also failed two years ago because of the very same problem.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Couldn't this all have been avoided had the guy at the Genius Bar realized the full extent of the problem and simply ordered a repair/replacement? Do they have that much discretion?

They offered to repair it by replacing the logic board.... the guy refused this.

dingamahoo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
My 2-year-old time machine went kaput last fall. It was out of warranty, and Apple genius refused to do anything. Didn't take them to court, but I am pissed. That thing should have lasted much longer.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Bah. My $1,500 MSI laptop has been flawless for 18 months (and counting). People I follow on Twitter have had far more issues with their Macs, but to each his own. Or her, I suppose.

This was a one of a kind situation. Many of the MBPs that year had the exact same problem all because of the NVidia card. A friend of mine had bought two with his retirement check and both died and Apple refused to help. It is rare as Apple have been so good in all cases I have ever had, there was just something weird about this particular NVidia situation I never unrstood. I hope all those people that suffered get a replacement even though it is now years later and I hope NVidia have to share footing the bill.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Im siding with Apple on this one - from what I can tell, the Apple where unable to verify the reason the machine had failed was because of the GPU, in-fact it looks lightly that the GPU was not faulty and it was another component on the logic board, and in this case would be unable to claim the cost of the repair back from NVidia. Also, to my knowledge, the replacement logic boards are of a new revision (rev B), so the GPU shouldn't suffer from the same issue.

Sorry, wasn't the logic board not the issue, but the GPU? From what I read, Apple claimed it was the logic board when in fact it wasn't, and wouldn't further the matter. The customer knew (perhaps reading forums, etc) that this MacBook Pro suffered from the known issue of the nVidia card defect. However, Apple claimed:

1) that his machine wasn't listed under warranty as he upgraded the GHz. If this is true, the customer should have been informed at the time of purchase. This should not negate coverage for a defective product

-further-

2) Sending in lawyers when a simple replacement for a documented defective GPU seems overkill. Fighting one customer over a known product defect for a top model notebook adds insult to injury.

3) Claiming this man is a "crybaby" is immature. If anyone of us had this same issue, I highly doubt you'd appreciate being called childish names. I side with the customer.

I'm an Apple user, have been for over a decade. I will defend Apple when appropriate, but blindly making excuses for Apple in this instance is baffling.

PUTALE

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
man, i guess sometimes you had to really fight for it.

my very very lightly used macbook pro 3.1 also has the problem but they refuse to repair or replace the logic board.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Sorry, wasn't the logic board not the issue, but the GPU? From what I read, Apple claimed it was the logic board when in fact it wasn't, and wouldn't further the matter. The customer knew (perhaps reading forums, etc) that this MacBook Pro suffered from the known issue of the nVidia card defect. However, Apple claimed:

1) that his machine wasn't listed under warranty as he upgraded the GHz. If this is true, the customer should have been informed at the time of purchase. This should not negate coverage for a defective product

-further-

2) Sending in lawyers when a simple replacement for a documented defective GPU seems overkill. Fighting one customer over a known product defect for a top model notebook adds insult to injury.

3) Claiming this man is a "crybaby" is immature. If anyone of us had this same issue, I highly doubt you'd appreciate being called childish names. I side with the customer.

I'm an Apple user, have been for over a decade. I will defend Apple when appropriate, but blindly making excuses for Apple in this instance is baffling.

The problem is - there is no evidence to suggest that the GPU has failed in this case, other than its a common failure on these models.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I can't believe you think that means anything.

One persons personal experience mean nothing, nothing at all.

You have to look at the stats. Personal opinion and experience never stand up in an argument.

make that two people I had 3 months left of apple care and finally I got the to replace the laptop after 2 .5 years of repairs after repairs and botched repairs ex fixing the wrong components. apple customer relations even tried to tell me because they don't sell that model anymore they can't do a replacement "it's to old" I was so upset I had to go as far as using a hi speed cam to capture the screen flickering just to prove it to them even After a genus saw it with their own eyes. they would test it and say nothing wrong and it was obvious I was not the only one. they replaced. processor, heat sync, logic board 2 times, display, cd rom drive, airport card, and even returned the laptop to me with less memory, wrong speed and size HD. never before hav I had this kind of troubble with apple ( Late 2008 MBP 15) all over 5 repairs and 2.5 years

arbymad

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Virginia, USA
Apple Customer service slipping?

Apple seems to be getting more and more greedy as time goes on. They make hard drives that were made to make it hard to upgrade. They won't support flash. Refusal to support Blu Ray so you will buy things from ITunes. This to go along with my 20 inch G5 IMac that works well as a boat anchor after being repaired twice, logic board, and breaking for the third time at 3 years and 4 months. I'm writing this on a iPad and I have a newer iMac, but Apple please do better.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
This nVidia issue affected models across all vendors including lower end dell and HPs with the 8600m. Try again.

Apple, Dell, HP and others won a class action lawsuit over the NVIDIA 8600m.
Apple extended the replacement program for up to 4 years after original purchase date. Apple currently bills NVIDIA for every logic board that has a failed GPU. Problem people are having is proving it was a failed GPU - I had my 2007 MBP die with a failed GPU and apple claims it was not a failed GPU eventhough there was no display on the LCD or in the DVI port then proceeds to tell me that the computer was 3 months outside the 4 years. At that point i did not argue with them as in fact doing the month it was 4 years 3 months or so since it was purchased new. Apple ended up replacing the Logic Board (part number is different then original part number - thinking there was a batch or boards made for replacements), the top cover, LCD and Back light for $300 plus tax alot cheaper than it would have cost me to buy the parts and do it myself. Apple now has a blanket repair cost of $200 plus $100 labor and once you get your computer back the whole thing has a 90 day warrenty so if your optical drive or HD fails they replace it free of charge.
I saved all my paper work in hopes to maybe get part of or all of the $ back.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
My BTO MacBook Pro was covered for exactly this problem when the 8600M died. They replaced the logic board in less than 24 hours IIRC.

What is really strange is the contradiction in this article. Either:

1. He was prepared to accept a logic board failure and Apple didn't wouldn't (hence the surprise by him and the judge when they found out Nvidia pick up the tab)

-or-

2. He was refusing to let them replace the logic board as stated earlier in the article. Which is short-sighted of him as only certain batches of the GeForce 8600M were bad, not the entire design.

Finally the only people who will do will be well compensated in the class action lawsuit are the lawyers.

[)amien

Ahmen Brother.

God I would have loved to see the look on the judges face and this guys expression as he shrugged. Those are the best warm fuzzy moments in the world.

Example:
The judges expression while sitting in the car, when the plaintiff started his $85,000 mercedes and then turned on the air conditioning. Looking through the front windshield at the judge, as the compressor kicked on and then started his combination of high pitched squeal and grinding metal sound, was a warm fuzzy to end all. You had to cover your ears standing 10 feet away from it. Opening the car door and hearing the noise outside the judge said and I quote "Turn it the **** OFF Boy". Southern judges got to love them.

Plaintiffs council then hands the judge a service document that indicated the dealership the "previous" day had seen the car inspected it and "Could not replicate the owners indicated problem". Judge was all :eek: :mad: .

Oh and the defendants attorneys covering their ears and gritting their teeth when that noise started. That was a WTF moment with some felling sorry for the guys.
What you guys never even bothered to take the dealership owner to task and listen to the car before trail. They never even bothered to request a independent inspection.

That one was worth the work. The fun time at the bar with the firm and the client. OH that was even more fun. ;) ;) ;)
God I miss that job. :(

No I'm not a lawyer just worked for the plaintiff.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Apple seems to be getting more and more greedy as time goes on. They make hard drives that were made to make it hard to upgrade. They won't support flash. Refusal to support Blu Ray so you will buy things from ITunes. This to go along with my 20 inch G5 IMac that works well as a boat anchor after being repaired twice, logic board, and breaking for the third time at 3 years and 4 months. I'm writing this on a iPad and I have a newer iMac, but Apple please do better.

The flash issue is a mute point now as adobe has abandoned mobile flash production and update in the wave of HTML5 thus flash will be phased out of all products in the course of a few years.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Good on him. It's always nice to see a corporate bully get beaten at their own game. I do wonder though, if he'd emailed Tim Cook (assuming he was lucky enough to have his mail read), would Cook have stepped in and ended the pedantry by ordering a refund.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
hey make hard drives that were made to make it hard to upgrade.

Source?

They won't support flash.

Even Adobe have abandoned mobile flash. Besides flash is propitiatory, Apple have backed open web standards over it.

Refusal to support Blu Ray so you will buy things from ITunes.

Its not so much a boycott of Blu Ray but an abandoning of physical media, lots of online stores you can purchase from :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

-further-

The Logic Board contains the CPU, GPU, and a host of other chips. A failed NVIDIA GPU requires replacing the Logic Board. Apple wasn't incorrect about that part.

jW

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
I can't believe you think that means anything.

One persons personal experience mean nothing, nothing at all.

You have to look at the stats. Personal opinion and experience never stand up in an argument.

Well, maybe not, but legal precedent sure does!!
Amazing that a huge company would permit this thing to even get to court! It's about time that some of these companies have their feet held to the fire! (and I like Apple too!)
The loss in court means little financially as we know, it is the precedent that means a lot IMHO!

Bet he used the "Latent defect angle" (if in the USA)....Unfortunately these things are what bring on class action suits! Apple has enough on its legal plate!

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I never understood why everyone is so fond of Apple's "customer service".

My late 2006 inch iMac with a Geforce 7600 GPU died just weeks after the extended warranty expired.

Similar issues happened with two new macbook pros - defective screen on first, bad build on the other. Apple said I'd have to leave the machine for 48 hours to do "extended tests" on it. Thank god I bought it from Amazon who replaced it no questions asked. If it wasn't for Amazon, I would have been stuck with a bad machine.

Time capsule died on me once, but this time Apple actually stepped up and replaced it for me out of warranty. It's not all bad.

On another note, I had to wait two hours just to get the glorified ability to add AppleCare+ to my one day old iPhone 4S. I just bought the darn thing, it was still in its original shrink wrap, yet they had to have a "genius" inspect and approve the purchase of AppleCare+. First time, I got there without setting up an appointment since I thought that I just want to BUY something, not get service so no big deal. I was sent away and was told that I have to setup an appointment through apple.com before I can have the luxury of paying an extra 99$ for my iPhone warranty.

I love Apple's products, I just don't like how they act occasionally.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
The problem is - there is no evidence to suggest that the GPU has failed in this case, other than its a common failure on these models.

Actually the GPU is part of the logic board so any failure in the GPU = failure in the logic board but if the logic board fails how does one know it is not the GPU as with a dead logic board there is now way to test the GPU minus removing it manually - ie removing the solder and put it in a working logic board thus in the end it would be just cheaper for apple to replace the whole logic board. The logic board that apple uses to replace in the 2007 - 2008 series that uses the 8600M is different than the original Logic Board as they have totally different part numbers. Most cases they also replace the top cover leads me to believe that the replacement logic board is slightly different then the original one.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
With Apple having 100 billion dollars cash in the bank they can't simply just fix this thing?

What the hell? It wouldn't cost them a damn thing.

I bet if this young man was a black women they would have snuffed that fire out asap.

I hope this guy does bring out a class action lawsuit against Apple.

There is no reason for Apple to screw a customer over like this.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Actually the GPU is part of the logic board so any failure in the GPU = failure in the logic board but if the logic board fails how does one know it is not the GPU as with a dead logic board there is now way to test the GPU minus removing it manually - ie removing the solder and put it in a working logic board thus in the end it would be just cheaper for apple to replace the whole logic board. The logic board that apple uses to replace in the 2007 - 2008 series that uses the 8600M is different than the original Logic Board as they have totally different part numbers. Most cases they also replace the top cover leads me to believe that the replacement logic board is slightly different then the original one.

Because the specific failure these GPUs experience thats covered under the programme wouldn't stop the machine from getting to a point where it can run the GPU test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.