blogs, how big are they j/k- do you do them?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Apr 25, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    The Evergreen State College
    hey do you guys write in blogs? which one do you use?
  2. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    damn, I hate blogs. It's just like, "Why do i give a **** what you.... Whatever." Yah know. The only reason why blogs are cool is if you were away from your family say in Iraq. Then it would be good so you wouldn't have to email all your friends and family what went on daily. Most blogs are just rambling of worthless crap. :rolleyes:
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Where's that image of a cowboy and it says "Look at me! I'm using the internet!" or something like that?

Blogs are so over-used. Keep a diary or something. Don't waste internet space with your life, most people don't care.
  4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I blog. For now it's useless, but it'll be great when I'm in college to keep track of friends. I occasionally update the one in my sig (which is just an opportunity to post stupid pictures). My friend and I post back and forth at I try to make a point to not say crap like "today was kinda okay. I went to school......"

To answer your question, yes I blog... but I justify it as making humorous sites.
  5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When it comes to blogging I think of what Heinlein wrote in "Time Enough for Love", "Writing is okay, just do it in private, don't share it with anyone, and wash your hands afterwards" :)
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    As opposed to the literary jewels one can find on message boards. ;)

I blog. So there. :p

I do it for several reasons:
    a) I'm a web developer and wanted to make one from scratch without using MovableType or Blogger or any of those tools.
    b) I'm sometimes less than communicative with family and friends, so it's a good way for them to keep up with my life between phone calls.
    c) It gives me the chance to practice my writing skills for web copy, which is quite different from the technical writing I usually do in my school work. Although, Mongo's Heinlein quote above is pretty accurate...maybe I'm more of an exhibitionist than I thought. :eek:

Anyway, obligatory link in 3, 2...
  7. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i don't blog, and i'd never want to, unless it was to replace mass emailings or something like that. i don't mind humourous blogs, but they are far too rare.

but i do want to get moveable type set up for my site, then i'll just use it for news and updates, stuff like that. not quite a blog, but useful updates. :)

Rower, HTML Hi-jinx. :D well there's certainly a useful blog. :D
  8. macka macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2004
    It's an interesting way to communicate and interact with people as well, I think.
    Of course it's a personal decision each person makes for themselves. If you don't good for you. If you do, good for you. :p
  9. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2004
    (200) I do one at Xanga, and one at my site, which is mostly for updates. I actually think blogs are really stupid. But i do them. I'm a bad child.
  10. crenz macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2003
    Shanghai, China
    Huh? I'd like to hear a technical explanation of how it is possible to "waste internet space". Also, if there is such a thing, I'm sure forum threads like "What did you have for breakfast" qualify for it.

I'm not into blogs myself, but there are some intelligently-written ones that I sometimes read.
  11. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I used to. But got bored of it. I now have an abandoned site. :D Only paid 6 bucks for it - free hosting from 1and1 and 6 bucks for the domain :D
  12. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id rather send mass emailings to ppl i dont want everyone to know my life hehe at least i can control who gets the email (assuming it isnt forwarded)
  13. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, I just started a new blog, but as you'll see it's not a Web diary, it's a space where I can respond and comment on whatever's going on in the world.

The best blogs, like Boing Boing, Whatever, and Instapundit (whether or not you agree with Glenn Reynolds' politics), don't just offer a "here's what I did today" laundry list, but actually give a new perspective on the Internet.
  14. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Bradford, UK
    I've been blogging on and off for years. Okay so blogs might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've found it the easiest way of keeping up to date with friends scattered across the UK and the rest of the world. It's mass emails and the damned 'Xmas letter' that everyone seems to send these days that really annoy me.
  15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    my website is sort of blog like, but its less personal than a blog, and more about finding the weird/funny stuff

See the sig -----)
  16. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2002
    I have a blog on my personal site. I write whatever's on my mind, usually put up a quote of the week and other stuff.

Not a lot of people respond to the site, but I do get quite a few emails from people telling me what they think. I just wish they'd reply on the blog instead of emailing me.
  17. iElvis macrumors member

Jan 30, 2003
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I blog

I do. My site used to be just photos of hanging out with my friends. It was for my friends, and family (all over the world). But once my camera broke, :mad: I needed to find something else for my site. So I turned the main page into a blog, while trying to keep the rest of the site. And now, even more of my family is aboard, so its much cheaper than phone calls. :D

By the way, To answer the other question, I use movable type.
  18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I created my own customed blog for many ramblings...heh, once in a while, I post something worthwhile of a read and isn't a ramble (such as my most recent entry).

Wierd, though, I'm kinda ashamed to show people my blog...
  19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Then DON'T read them! Easy no? For some Blogs are indented to keep long distance friends and relatives up to date on what you are doing. For others its like a diary. (In most cases you can secure the Blog so as many or as few people as you want can view it. Mine is setup for only a hand full of users to view. My life isn't a peepshow. :p

I currently have a Livejournal account. Someone a while backed asked for an activation number from me, actually I've had several people ask, if that someone is reading this PM me and I'll drop you a code. I've got 3 left. :)
  20. Santiago macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Mountain View, California
    I periodically post to a sort-of blog, but I sure as hell know that my life isn't interesting enough for me or anyone else to read about (thank goodness--life being interesting means it probably sucks to be you). That's why I make up stuff completely. Today I just posted an entry about getting mugged by Kung-Fu Jesus at the Bake Sale of Doom. Previous entries involve cannibal recipes and anecdotes about bumping into a werewolf on the bus and talking about his crappy ID card photo...
  21. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i love blogging. its so much fun and i have quite a few of my friends doing it. its on my site ( i keep it protected so people at my school other than the people i chose can read it. if any of you want to read it (which is doubtful) just pm me and ill give you the login

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I keep an online journal, but don't "blog." I started keeping up on livejournal a while ago, and it's been good. I wanted to do a blog on a personal website for myself, but I never got around to doing it. I like the journal community thing better anyway, as u can communicate with others easier I feel. :D
  23. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I have one (in sig.), but it really is mostly a family blog where friends and family can keep updated. I like it but I can sympathize with those who don't. My only thing is, if you don't like it, don't read it. Its not like I made you bookmark it.