bloody emac updates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by devro, Nov 15, 2004.

1. devro macrumors newbie

I am at the end of my tether with this computer now. I need to get 10.2.8 for my scanner to work so i downloaded it from apple.com/suport/downloads/macosxupdatecombo_10_2_8.html. it comes up in the screen but nothing will open up when I click on it. I've downloaded it 3 tims now to the same result. Also when I go to software update it suggests 10.2.8 and then quits halkf way through. I am seriously thinking og selling this horrible piece of stress. Please can anyone help??

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What version are you upgrading from? Maybe you don't need the combo update. You could always try upgrading one version at a time.

3. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.2.2 at the mo: I've tried just going to 10.2.6 but the file still doesn't open up. It's very frustrating. Shall I just try the non-=combo one?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That updater will open a disk image.

Download it to your desktop.

When you double-click it, it should appear on your desktop as a white disk-like icon. Open this up and follow the instructions inside.

5. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

when the icon comes up on the desktop i double click it and it opens up internet explorer and says gettinm info for 10.2.8... but then nothing appears in the window?

6. Hoven macrumors regular

Well, this may be way off base, but I've had trouble downloading disk images (and other stuff) via Internet Explorer. Is that what you're using? Perhaps fetching it using Safari would make a difference. Like I said... just a thought.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you sure you're downloading the 97mb file at this address?
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdatecombo_10_2_8.html

The file is called:
    MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.8.dmg
    and is 97mb...

The .dmg is important.
    Internet Explorer should not open up at all.

Go to your Applications folder, open up Utilities, start Disk Utility.
    Use this application to open the .dmg file, the downloaded one.

In fact go to Apple Help (apple ?) and read about disk images.
    They are important to know about...

To even suggest you'd sell your Mac because a disk image is causing you problems makes me want to weep...

When the disk image is opened, there should be a file in there with a yellow/brown icon that looks like an opened cardboard box.
    It's called MacOSXUpdateCombo10.2.8.pkg... That is the one to double-click.

8. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

ok well im just downloading it one final time and ill try what youve suiggested. thanks for your time: I'm praying this is going to work!

9. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I get the update in disk utilities? All I get is the erase etc tabs along the top and the hardrive down the side?

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Under the Image menu, select "Open"

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Praying less and reading more might help.

12. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

EDIT: Oops, I didn't realize you were running Jaguar :eek:
    You can disregard this post.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You're absolutely right. You're running 10.2.2...
    DiskUtility has changed since then, many of us are running 10.3

OK, try 'Mount' then.

Under the Options menu, top of the screen.

p.s. It's dude-ess to you

:)

p.p.s. Try dragging the .dmg file onto the DiskUtility icon.

15. Hoven macrumors regular

Actually, that makes me wonder about something else...

Shouldn't the automatic system update thingy in System Preferences be keeping your system up to date? On my eMac, once a week it pops up a window saying there's this update or that update for everything from OSX to Quicken to iPhoto.

If it isn't set up for auto-update, you can just open the update function in System Preferences and say "Check (for updates) Now". It'll bring down and update whatever you need. No downloading. No unzipping. No opening a disk image.

Just another one of my random thoughts.
    :rolleyes:

16. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

ok: I have tried everything! The thing will no go to 10.2.8!!! Outrageous!

17. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

If I just buy an upgrade from the Apple Store i.e 10.2.8 or even this new one and I just do a clean wipe and install will these go on or will I have the same problems? I have very little on the computer which isn't backed up so ?I dont mind doing this. But I just dont want to spend £20 on 10.2.8 if its going to result in the same thing.

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Buying 10.2.8 would be ridiculously stupid if you're willing to wipe the thing clean and use Software Update to get yourself up-to-date again. One last thing to try though: what's the default application for opening disk images (.dmg) set to? It SHOULD be Disk Utility on 10.2.X. If it isn't, it can be changed - only problem is, I don't remember how it's done on 10.2.X because I've been using 10.3 for a while. Can anyone help?

19. Hoven macrumors regular

Whew... I'm afraid that's beyond me. I would assume, though, that if you did a complete reload from scratch, there's no reason it shouldn't work. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that, though.

Here's a couple more thoughts...
    I had trouble with iPhoto at one point. I went into my local Apple Store and the guy suggested I bring my eMac in so he could see the oddness. Maybe you can arrange to walk the machine in and do the update with one of the "Genius" folks watching.

Hmmm. Why wouldn't an update take? Did you do a permissions check before trying the update (via Disk Utility)? It could be that if the systems' permissions are wrong, the update won't take. Again, I'm just thinking out loud. Wish I could be more definitive & helpful.

20. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

No it's absolutely fanatstic. I'm going to try some more of these things when I get a chance. Thankyou so much guys.