Bloomberg Confirms September iPhone 5 Launch, Hi-Res iPad 3?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reaffirms the circulating rumors that Apple will launch a new iPhone in September of this year and is working on a high resolution iPad 3.

[​IMG]

They cite two people "familiar with the plans" who indicate that the new iPhone will carry a faster processor and more advanced camera:
    The new iPhone is said to closely resemble the iPhone 4. As expected, the new iPhone will run iOS 5 which is reportedly codenamed "Telluride".

Bloomberg's sources also report that Apple is testing a version of the iPad that has a "higher resolution screen, similar to the one now used in the iPhone 4". From here, Bloomberg references older rumors that Apple might be working on a cheaper iPhone aimed at attracting customers in developing countries. They seem to believe that work is continuing on this low-end iPhone.

Finally, they report that the resolution of the new iPad would be "about one-third higher" than the iPad 2. Such a small increase would be a surprise as Apple's method for increasing resolution on the iPhone was to double each dimension to offer simple scaling for apps. It's been expected that Apple might adopt the same technique in the iPad 3, though technical hurdles may exist for such high resolution displays.

Article Link: Bloomberg Confirms September iPhone 5 Launch, Hi-Res iPad 3?

2. macrumors 6502a

Telluride? Has any other iOS version had a code-name?

3. macrumors regular

High-res iPad 3. Too good to be true.

4. macrumors regular

So whose right this guy or BGR reports?

5. macrumors 604

wordoflife

iPhone that's faster with a better camera? I'm all over this. (considering I have a 3GS right now).
    This post said it was going to be a similar design to iPhone 4, and another post said it would have a "radical" design change. :confused:

6. macrumors 6502

Virgo

But the iPad 3 is for next year.. right? It better be cuz I'm getting the current one soon.

7. macrumors 601

HiRez

One third higher resolution? That doesn't sound right at all, they can't be that far from GPUs that can handle 2048x1536, can they? Why fragment the line with an oddball resolution like that? They didn't do it with the iPhone, and I'd think they'd follow the same pattern with the iPad. The word is they're already writing the more practical "pixel doubled" graphics into the APIs and moving away from the holy grail of continuously-variable resolution.

8. macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Or maybe... Neither :0 I hope BGR though, lol.

9. macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Why Are pople so doubtful of a new design? The current design obviously failed with the antenna issue.

10. macrumors regular

i dont think they will make a ipad 3 this year because there sold out at every bestbuy near me

11. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

1.0 - Little Bear
    2.0 - Big Bear
    2.1 - Sugar Bowl
    3.0 - KirkVail
    3.1 - NorthVail
    4.0 - ApexVail
    4.1 - BakerVail
    4.2 - JasperVail
    4.3 - DurangoVail
    5.0 - TellurideVail

from the ipsw files.
    arn

12. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Sorry to be so skeptical, but this will not happen.

13. macrumors G3

Then why do the verizon phones not have the issue to any significant degree?

14. macrumors 6502

All the iphone rumors conflict. The last one said radically different case, this one says it will closely resemble 4...

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hmm.

Any chance they are doing 3x original iPhone rez?

320x480 = original
    640x960 = Retina (2x original)
    768x1024 = iPad 1 and 2
    960x1440 = 3x original?

arn

16. macrumors 65816

that's funny, after the initial hype, I don't hear about the antenna anymore. Also, sales for the ip4 seem to be pretty good.

17. macrumors regular

This is false cause I just bought an ipad2. The iphone story is true, however. I'm waiting for it so I can upgrade my falling apart 3gs.

18. macrumors G3

All existing iPad software would be black-boxed? What a mess. I say they'll double it or nothing at all.

19. macrumors 68000

ghsNick

iPad 2 updates weren't great and I didn't need it.
    Got a 15 in MBP to hold me over and will be getting the iPad 3 when available.

20. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Lower end phone, again with that rumor. Not coming but keep dreaming.

Iphone 5 cranked up to iPad 2 chip, nice should make ios 5 run like butter. :)

iPad 3 2012 can't see them wasting the resources coming out with it this year. Hard enough getting an iPad 2 even now. Bought one for my kid and it took almost 4 weeks to get it.

Retina will be sweet, but on the A5 you will loose the gaming experience that makes the iPad 2 even better. To get any benefit for Retina on iPad 3 it will be another almost year before anything is made for it. You can crank up the spec but if the software is way behind then all you get is another Android. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 601

HiRez

Interesting theory, but I don't think that's quite right either because with odd multiples you still have the problem with things not aligning on pixel boundaries, making things like thin horizontal and vertical lines look bad. Maybe 4X original iPhone rez though? That'd be 1920x1280. That's a lot more than one third more pixels though. And at that point you're not really that far from 2048x1536 anyway.

22. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Come on magical bigger screen Iphone.......I can dream. ;)

23. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Still don't have the problem. Unless I try to choke the life out of the phone. :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

This is great news to read

Can't wait for September!

25. macrumors newbie

the only thing keeping me from buying an iPad is its lack of higher resolution. (I can deal with the OS for the time being.) Apple... Hurry, hurry! I don't wanna have to buy a laptop :(