Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Uh no? What?

When you're holding up your arm reading a book for a long period of time, whether sitting or on your back, it's going to fatigue quickly. The lighter the better in this case, there's no relation to women here???

When you carry your women up the stairs to your hotel room...

There is a ton of relation to anything with your analogy.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This will be the new iPod Touch.

The current iPod Touch is an odd form factor for what people use it for. People who want a portable music player are best off with the iPod nano. Those who buy an iPod Touch are better off just buying an iPhone. Games are best played on an iPad.

A smaller iPad would fit the iPod touch customer perfectly. Cheaper than an iPhone and an iPad, perfect for games.

We know it's the new iPod Touch. I've been saying that alone since the rumors ever started a year ago :)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I'm in favor of this. Apple can't let the 7"/~$200 market get away from them. They kept that from happening in the iPod line and they have to do it in the iPad line as well. After you've talked to enough people that say they would have bought a smaller iPad if Apple made one you see their point.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Didn't Apple learn their lesson in the early 90s by making too many products?

So they are making a smaller iPad, keeping the original iPad, making a bigger iPhone and keeping the older smaller iPhone along with have a iTouch the same size as a iPhone?

Which product is a consumer suppose to buy?? I don't get it.
Is this a joke? Too many products is what you get when you go to Dell's webpage.

You want a phone, you buy an iPhone. You want a tablet, you buy an iPad. (If you cannot tell the difference between a phone and a tablet, that means you are in the wrong shop, comparing a Samsung Note and a Nexus 7.) Then you decide how much money you are willing to shell out. You don't get options where this one is better in these respects, but worse in those other respects. That (and names that combines random letters and numbers) is how a customer gets confused, not when there are good, better, best type of options.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Before the iPad came out in 2010, there had always been an "iPhone mini" rumor. Now they just change it to iPad.

PeopleTheseDays

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
This article doesn't even make sense in talking about the resolution. It sounds like it's trying to defend the fact that the "supposed" iPad mini won't be 2048 x 1536 when in fact, all UI elements, and every app will be the same size on a 7.85 inch screen whether it's 1024 x 768 or the aforementioned resolution. The higher resolution will only be sharper.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
If they are going for a lower price than the new iPad (retina) then 1024x768 makes sense. It will still look better than the iPad2 because 163 dpi is better than 132 dpi.

If they gave it 2048 x 1536 res on a 7.85" screen, it would be insanely great, but also expensive.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Just like the iPad 3 was supposed to come out in August of '11 and then pushed back to September of '11 and then pushed back again to the obvious March '12. It's all hogwash as Froghorn Leghorn would say. :rolleyes:

crs.one

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Why? Why does it concern you in any way?

It concerns anyone invested in apple (whether financially or emotionally, although emotionally is arguably foolish)

There's a strong likelihood that it will be a poor product that will damage the brand.

People will buy the mini arguing its cheaper and its the same as the iPad, and they simply don't need bigger because bigger is just a luxury.

They won't consider that the resolution, target size, etc into their buying and if it results in poorer user experience, they will write off the iPad as well rather than realizing they got what they paid for.

Apple won't make developers develop for a middle tablet on top of the iPad and iPhone. So it will scale. But making it so it performs as well to scale is a tightrope act. There's plenty of targets on my iPad screen that are frustratingly small as it is.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Don't buy it, even if it is posted by Bloomberg. It would fragment apps even more, and Apple can already command the lower end tablet market with the iPad 2, which still sells very well.

Ok you obviously don't understands how developing for IOS works. If you design something to run on the retina display it will still run natively on a lower res display of the same aspect ratio. Do you honestly think apple makes developing had by requiring developers to render everything twice. Come on this is apple wee talking about

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
When you carry your women up the stairs to your hotel room...

There is a ton of relation to anything with your analogy.
Uh no. What you're saying has nothing to do with books, and it makes no sense. If you've got nothing to say about books and weight of tablets, then don't reply to me!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Pleaes just stick to the 9"+ size factor.

i don't get it, why people who don't like the 7" form factor really doing hard to not let apple release it? it's not like apple is going to abandon the 9.7" iPad for the 7". geez..

people want more choice, if u don't like the 7" form factor, then get the 9.7" one.

it's not going to be fragmented if it's using the resolution of the original iPad and iPad2. what's so hard about this? please explain..

if apple release a 7" iPad, does your current 9.7" iPad will become a bastard child? i don't think so.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Didn't Apple learn their lesson in the early 90s by making too many products?

I'd say they learnt their lesson from the mid 2000s when they utterly destroyed the competition with various iPod lines. Arguably their biggest move since the launch of the first iPod was the iPod Nano which took out all the major competitors who were relying on the mid end flash-based MP3 players and gave people an excellent portable player. I imagine iPad mini will do the same.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
It concerns anyone invested in apple (whether financially or emotionally, although emotionally is arguably foolish)

There's a strong likelihood that it will be a poor product that will damage the brand.

People will buy the mini arguing its cheaper and its the same as the iPad, and they simply don't need bigger because bigger is just a luxury.

They won't consider that the resolution, target size, etc into their buying and if it results in poorer user experience, they will write off the iPad as well rather than realizing they got what they paid for.

Apple won't make developers develop for a middle tablet on top of the iPad and iPhone. So it will scale. But making it so it performs as well to scale is a tightrope act. There's plenty of targets on my iPad screen that are frustratingly small as it is.

Seriously? Do you listen to yourself? You realize you're still talking about computers at the end of the day, right? Inanimate objects.

And if you had any faith in Apple, you would realize that if they chose to go down this path, they would do it with the utmost care and regard as to not do exactly what they said.

Again, nothing happens to you (unless you're financially invested) if something happens to Apple.

crs.one

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
i don't get it, why people who don't like the 7" form factor really doing hard to not let apple release it? it's not like apple is going to abandon the 9.7" iPad for the 7". geez..

people want more choice, if u don't like the 7" form factor, then get the 9.7" one.

it's not going to be fragmented if it's using the resolution of the original iPad and iPad2. what's so hard about this? please explain..

if apple release a 7" iPad, does your current 9.7" iPad will become a bastard child? i don't think so.

It's not about choice. It's about releasing a poor product.

Ruth's Chris has a reputation for making great steaks. They're expensive and very very good.

Now if they released a $10 steak that was half the size, but also inferior meat, they would lose their reputation for making great steaks. Granted, there will be people who try both, take the broad perspective and say "well, their high end steak is really good." But most of the public would say "why would I spend money on a bigger steak that isn't all that great?" They wouldn't perceive a difference in the quality of the product.

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
i always get amazed by how many apple fans don't get what apple stands for.

They don't follow the competition, and definitely don't price their merchandise to compete with others.

Steve Jobs said NO to the 7" tablet so that alone is the end of the discussion.

But more importantly a 7" tablet would require a new resolution, which alone is a no-no. at least for the time being.

A 7" tablet = a mediocre experience which is why apple won't make such a product, hence the reason why i buy apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.