Blows the 12" PB away!! wait... what?

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Feb 23, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002

Check out this page...

What do you guys think.. the page compares it to the 12"PB, NEC Versa 120.. and a number of other machines. I don't think its a bad idea.. but jeez... $800 for a firewire, usb2.0, ethernet.. of course the question si what do you need the interfaces for if there's no software. Aren't VIA chips for embedded usage.. like microwaves? :p

• 12.1" 1024 x 768 TFT Display
    • VIA C3 933MHz Processor
    • VIA VT8606 (Twister-T) + VT82C686B Chipset
    • 256MB PC-133 SDRAM onboard, support up to 768MB SDRAM
    • 20.0GB ATA100 Hard Disk Drive
    • External CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD/CD-RW (optional)
    • Integrated Savage 4 AGP 4X graphic core (up to 16MB Video Memory)
    • Full Duplex, Compliant with AC' 97 Audio
    • 2 x USB 2.0 & 1 x IEEE 1394 ports
    • 1 Compact Flash Slot & 1 PCMCIA Slot
    • Internal Realtek 10/100 LAN
    • LindowsOS 3.0 with dedicated tech support
    • Removable Li-Ion Battery
    • Dimensions: 10.43" x 8.66" x 0.91" & Weight: 2.9 lbs

* Please note that we will also be carrying the following accessories for this PC:

- Ext. USB 1.44MB FDD
    - Ext. CD-ROM (USB 1.1)
    - Ext. 8X DVD-ROM (USB 2.0)
    - Ext. DVD/RW 24x10x24 (USB 2.0)
    - 2nd Battery
    - Notebook Carry Bag
  2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Wow, no internal drive. Is there an ethernet port? What is the graphics card? Can it be hooked up to another display? What about sound? Looks?

Man that is a POS computer. Why even waste your money. Im not just saying that cuz its not apple branded, but its a friggin POS.

I bet that PC has sooo many problems with software/hardware compatibilites.

And, yea an iBook which is 200 dollars more, but has all those features and its in a better package.
  3. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Check out the link with the guy surfing the web on the beach with his fat girlfriend... too funny.
    I edited the orignal to post further specs.

Come on.. its not bad looking either. Don't get me wrong.. its no iBook.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    wouldn't touch this computer with a 10 foot pole. at least they fixed the comparison so it's accurate...

in this day and age, external optical just isn't practical. using CDs is going to be a total hassle every time. Plus the PB provides durability, bigger HD, OS X, 802.11g, bluetooth... it's designed to be a powerhouse long into the future.

the lindows PC would be obsolete within a year.

i got to play with a 12" for the first time today, i really liked the little guy :)

like the 15" best tho...

5. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I think the computer has its place, good for surfing the web around the house and doing a bit or word processing I guess, but not much else.

Powerbook competitor it is not though.
  6. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2002
    yeah, that computer must be put together cheaply. thats all im saying. and no internal drives or anything...that would more than make up for the 200$ price difference from an iBook.

oh..and that "fat girlfriend" on the beach is pregnant ;) i mean, its bad enough she is seen with a reject using THAT computer, but lets not call her fat :p
  7. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    She might be pregnant.. or she might have eaten a baby. Either way.. that laptop sucks. Though, its really not ugly...

It has its place.
  8. losfp macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    The VIA processors are generally low-power, low heat ones that sacrifice a bit of performance - so I wouldn't expect great performance from it either :)

That machine definitely does have its place though. If you're not willing to pay a bit extra for an IBM, or an Apple, hey this thing looks alright! :D
  9. moby1 macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Sunny San Diego

Laptops & the beach don't mix. Anyone who's actually worked on a laptop would know this...