Blu-Ray and HD-DVD DOA

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maxvamp, Apr 21, 2005.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there
    As I thought might happen, Toshiba and SONY are working toward a common HiDef DVD format.

See Here
  2. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    That's still a long way away for most I believe. What I'm annoyed about is the fact that there is STILL no standard for DVDR media. Why do we need +, - and RAM. It pisses me off! :mad:

Good sign they're battling on this one now already and not releasing machines that support one but not the other!
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Actually if you look at the media, DVD-R carrieas a DVD logo on it and DVD+R does not. I think that should say which the standard is and which the interloper is.

This should save a lot of issues as there would have been two different players for this and some of the movies would've been in one format and some the other.
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I really think that the industry that will put their two cents worth in on this matter will be the adult video companies. They seem to sell the most dvds and could push for one type over the other (hate to say that).
    I seen some numbers a few weeks back just on dvds sold and by far they had the lead :rolleyes: At any rate I hope they give the public the best they can combine without the need to buy or have two types of players in a household.
  5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    They should further confuse consumers by having different size disks. Some disks can feel like sand paper and others can be square. Perhaps have a DVD disk that has a handle can you can touch. Different colors would be nice too... all incompatible. A DVD-R disk made in July of 2003 shouldn't be the same as a DVD-R disk made after the 15th of October of 2005.