blu-ray drive for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iJawn108, Sep 27, 2006.

1. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

[​IMG]

I have thought blu-ray might not be taken on due to asthetic issues.

But this picture, this gives me hope. :D Slot loading blu-ray drive from panasonic.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And it looks like its almost as thick as the MBP itself. at 1" thick i highly doubt they will be fitting a blu-ray drive in there any time soon. Plus once blu-ray tanks as its expected to do (think betamax, & MD) and HD-DVD takes over then you would be back here whining.

Ed

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They will find there way into the apple line soon enough. I don't think DVD is going anywhere right now so they have plenty time to get those drives down to notebook size.

Bless

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is misleading. Blu-ray is fully compatible with existing DVDs. The major problem with Blu-ray (and HD-DVD) is a computer is that they will add significantly to the price with very little added benefit for the time being. This problem is worsen by the fact that most of the talk about Blu-ray is of the "format wars." They should be talking about its strengths--particularly its data storage capacity. It takes 10 DVDs to hold the same data that can be burned on a single Blu-ray disc.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I also expect HD-DVD to be the victor in the long run. However, the reasons for this are beginning to dissapate. One strong argument in the HD-DVD camp has been backwards compatability with older DVD players. However, both camps have announced discs with tri-layer technology-one or more layers can be dedicated to and read by DVD players. You can buy one disc with both modern high-definition content and older DVD content. On paper Blu-Ray has the lead in this area, since each layer stores around twice as much as HD-DVD. I think it's in everyone's best interest to wait on the sidelines while those with more money than sense beta test these new formats.

6. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm so sick of hearing about Blu-Ray. I didn't know that it reads existing DVDs though. Still, if it's going to drive up the price of computers, it's not a very good idea until the drives become affordable to the general population and the format gets closer to becoming an industry standard. I believe Sony with be the first to start incorporating these really slim drives into the VAIO laptops.

Daniel.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It has two lasers inside. A blue one, and a red one for backwards compatibility. Sony already offers BD-ROM drives in their high-end laptops.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Haha, thanks. That just goes to show you how I know nothing about this format aside from the capacity. :p

Daniel.

9. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

wow.
    weird lookin back.
    u guys were expecting hd-dvd?
    really? i was thinkin blu-ray bc of the companies behind it.
    and on paper it had more.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your looking for a replacement drive with Blu-Ray compatibility, then FastMacs has something on offer but it's only compatible with the older MacBooks and MacBookPro's cause it's not SATA (unless they have a newer model) Those drives pictured won't fit cause they're 12mm units. There is a 9mm model but it's a tray-loader

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good job reviving a 2 year old thread and providing no insight whatsoever.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly. Never do it again.

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Companies? Don't you mean company? It's just Sony and they are they ones who came up with this. I think a lot of people wondered about the battle because of Beta and VHS. Beta was a lot more money and 1 reason why VHS won, even though beta had a better picture. It's funny because Sony came out with the Beta also.
    I'm glad they picked Blu Ray won and now I can buy a player.