1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Blu Ray drive.. Sata vs Pata performance hit

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ChemiosMurphy, Jul 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

I just got an LG Blu Ray Burner and i'm having major issues.

Windowz wont recognize the two hidden Sata ports, so i'm currently looking to buy a Sata to Pata adapter.

So... willl there be a major performance hit with utilizing PATA for Blu ray burning and viewing?

Or should I just buy an external enclosure and just do it over firewire?

2. macrumors 65816

Why would there be any performance hit at all? Optical drives are dirt slow.

3. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

External seems like an easier solution, pata is a tad slow but I would assume its faster then external...

Your call.

4. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

5. macrumors 65816

Exactly, "burst rate" speeds that people obsess over between ATA and SATA and beyond have nothing to do with real world use in optical drives.

Even a single hard drive nowdays will not exceed ATA speeds, much less a DVD drive.

6. macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Looks like newegg is getting another $15 out of me for a sata to IDE adapter.

7. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

As long as you don't use more then one drive at a time you will be fine.

8. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Even two drives will not use up all a PATA pipe.

9. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

10. macrumors 65816

How is it that you get a large performance hit when using only optical drives on the ATA chain? We aren't talking about the old days when hard drives were also on the same bus. Are you talking about burning to both drives at once? I supposed that might be possible but I would think for the vast majority of people that's not an issue.

11. macrumors 68040

trainguy77

Ripping music off one drive, burning with the other. Or any combination like that.

12. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Just curious, did you run the Sata cable like I did? I couldn't find an easier way than what I did...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. macrumors 6502

Yup. Windows refuses to recognize the Sata drive, works fine under IDE. I temporarily took apart my external hard drive case and just plugged the drive into that to watch movies in windows while my adapter shipped in windows.

Darthraige, does your Sata setup work in Windows?

14. macrumors regular

As an alternative, you could get a PCIe SATA card. They are pretty common and cheap for the PC, but finding one which has both Windows and Mac drivers might be a challenge.

15. macrumors 6502

Yeah, the IDE adapter is just fine. The only thing that sucks is the SATA port is so far off from the IDE area and the space between the master and slave port is too short to have 2 drives. So the crappy Optiarc that it shipped with is out of commission. And to be honest, that is just fine with me since I have already filled all four HDD slots, I'll just slip in a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter there and call it a day (eventually)