Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I've always been annoyed with the fact you couldn't import DVD's into iTunes the way you can CD's. This would give Apple the option to both add BR support and enable importing of the movie to iTunes. I would love that option.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Looks interesting. Do you think Apple with support it? Probably not, but who knows.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/blu-ray-gets-managed-copy-next-year-requries-new-hardware/

1. Requires new hardware = FAIL

2. Requires connection to AACS authentication servers - FAIL

3. Windows DRM for digital computer files = Mega FAIL

So you want Apple, Linux and every other non Microsoft OS to license Microsofts DRM? Not going to happen.

When Steve Jobs called Blu-ray a "Bag of hurt" he wasn't lying folks. Blu-ray is the most ridiculous format I've ever seen.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I love Blu-ray, but managed copy seems like a faffy waste of time that will only give some more ammunition to those who don't like the format. They should just concentrate on Blu-ray's core strengths and get the prices down. As a mac user it's irrelevant anyway, for obvious Apple-flavoured reasons.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I love Blu-ray, but managed copy seems like a faffy waste of time that will only give some more ammunition to those who don't like the format. They should just concentrate on Blu-ray's core strengths and get the prices down. As a mac user it's irrelevant anyway, for obvious Apple-flavoured reasons.

I own Blu-ray discs myself but it's not a friendly computing format. If someone has a disc with 1080p disc running high bitrate video and lossless sound it's overkill for a computer where the avg monitor size is less than 24"

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I own Blu-ray discs myself but it's not a friendly computing format. If someone has a disc with 1080p disc running high bitrate video and lossless sound it's overkill for a computer where the avg monitor size is less than 24"

Well... I have to disagree on screen size / resolution. Even with a more heavily compressed downloadable trailer, the difference between a DVD resolution file and a 1080p one is clear. Go try it if you like. I'm sure most people are sat much nearer to a computer display than a TV, so the resolution makes a bigger difference.

You could argue lots of things are overkill. Multi-core multi-Ghz CPUs are overkill if you're just editing text. Multi-Mbps broadband is overkill for just sending a simple text e-mail. It doesn't mean they're not still worth having though, just as having that high bit-rate video and lossless audio onteh disc is worth having when it's being utilised. It's better to downgrade 1080p to whatever your screen res is than blow it up from DVD or worse, isn't it?

Where I'd agree is that it's unfriendly in terms of all the stupid licensing and DRM etc that has given Apple an excuse to not support it yet. I'm not sure managed copy makes it much more 'friendly', it sounds like a ridiculously overcomplicated way for not much benefit. I just wish they'd all (Blu-ray Acssociation, the studios, Microsoft, Apple...) stop treating their customers like criminals who have to be 'managed' at all.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Where I'd agree is that it's unfriendly in terms of all the stupid licensing and DRM etc that has given Apple an excuse to not support it yet. I'm not sure managed copy makes it much more 'friendly', it sounds like a ridiculously overcomplicated way for not much benefit. I just wish they'd all (Blu-ray Acssociation, the studios, Microsoft, Apple...) stop treating their customers like criminals who have to be 'managed' at all.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.