Blu-ray sales helping PS3? Sales against HD-DVD now 2 to 1

Discussion in 'Games' started by fiercetiger224, Feb 1, 2007.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Link not working.

I've still to actually see any BluRay films on sale in the shops. HD-DVD and DVD is everywhere. Most of the non-tech-savvy people I know still have no idea what BluRay is too...

3. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, hmm...The link is working for me. Anyone else having this problem? Just go to www.tomshardware.com and it'll be under the latest news.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The PS3 has dumped hundreds of thousands of Blu-ray players on a market that wasn't primed for a competition. There was and mostly is no demand for standalone 1080p capable disc players. But the PS3 will sell over two million units this year, which will create demand for content. The studios will follow the demand and the BD feedback loop will relegate HD-DVD to the same footnote-in-tech-history status as DIVX and MiniDisc.

Blu-ray won by forfeit.

If HD-DVD were to have had a chance, the 360 would have had to have a drive standard.

5. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now was it such a bad idea for Sony to throw in the Blu-ray drive for us? If people actually looked at the features of the PS3...And considering the cost, it's a DAMN good value. Eventually people will start catching on. As I've said plenty of times, adding the price of the 360, HD-DVD drive, and wireless, it ends up costing $100 MORE than the PS3. It's great that you have the option of buying an upgrade, but when you have it built in, it's a standard configuration for ALL consoles being sold.

Oh well. Besides, I just like the name Blu-ray compared to HD-DVD. HD-DVD is such a mouthful. Aach-DEE-DEE-VEE-DEE! So many DEEs!!! :rolleyes:

6. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

hd dvd will 'win'

purley because its got the word dvd in it

its what people know

also in relation to blu ray has more space etc...

what non tech people knows dvd have 4.whatever gb of data? i dont even know the figure

and neither do i care,,,, if my hd movie is on there i'm not bothered about how much space is on the disc

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Um... Quoted for truth?
    Why?

I think it's a common story now. My parents were talking about getting a new TV for the living room. They asked me (in their exact words) "Can you get a kind of High Definition DVD player?", I said yes "You just said the name" :D . I asked them "what's blue-ray", to which they shrugged.

they're the market. the money makers (we were in our Spanish villa at the time :cool: ) who know nothing about electronics, don't read tech mags etc.

ps. I've looked on the Toms Hardware site but it's still not there :confused: Anyone else in my boat?

8. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The market isn't going out to buy 1080p players just yet. But a huge chunk of it already bought a PS3.

story also here (via Goolge): http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/768.html

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think you'll start seeing more and more players that handle both formats. Neither will win. Sort of like DVD+R and DVD-R.

11. darkwing macrumors 65816

I agree. I still feel confident BD will survive at least as a data medium, but this is good news I think.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I posted that weeks ago when there was a similar thread.

I honestly dont belive either format will prevail. More and more players will off dual support and consumers will not need to make a choice. so they wont, and we will end up with a DVD+/- scenario.

I also think in 5 years HD content will probably be delivered online via a :apple: TV style device more than a standalone player also.

I think both HD-DVD & BluRay are merely transistional devices.

13. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I'm curious what the HD-DVD-people are going to say once Apple adds BlueRay to their systems. ;)

I don't care which one "wins". At the moment I find the amount of money I have to spend in order to get a decent HD setup way too much. I'll just wait and see which one will make the race.

14. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yes you did, and I said that was a good thought which is why I started believing it! :)

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

What do you think people will say? It seems people here are loyal to companies. If it's Apple and costs more, it's ok because it's better. If it's Nintendo and performs less, it's ok because it's cheaper. If it's Sony and costs more, it's not ok because it costs more. If it's Blue-Ray it's not ok because it's Sony. :rolleyes:

I just want the format with the highest capacity.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I'll be annoyed if Apple forces either HD-DVD or BD with no choice to downgrade to DVD. The added price isn't worth it to me on any level.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that need more capacity then DVD, at least professionals, but the only thing DVD can't backup for me is my music collection.

I'd prefer to get a nice big USB2 HDD and just backup my data 1:1 then messing with optical discs at all.

17. darkwing macrumors 65816

I think BD discs will be good for photo professionals who want to save high resolution pictures by the hundreds or possibly the artists who have those 10 gig scans I hear PS can handle. Crazy stuff, but I'm with you! I'd rather have an external hard drive.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The early adopters are usually geeks. Geeks know what's going on and will go for the best overall technology. Blu-ray is the better specification for high definition video content and data storage.

I don't know about that though. Netflix delivers something like 6 PB of data every day. That's before HD discs. Can the US infrastructure handle the extra traffic?

19. darkwing macrumors 65816

Interesting thought. I never considered that. I don't think infrastructure will be able to handle that for a looong time. And of course, if it were as easy as having a movie RIGHT NOW (as opposed to waiting a couple days for it to get mailed) then I think that demand would be even higher.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Apple supports both formats right now.

People are getting ahead of themselves with downloads.

I work at CompUSA and I sell a lot of Apple USB Modems; tons of people live out where they can't get a high speed internet connection, and satellite internet isn't affordable or very fast (several hundred dollars setup plus around a hundred dollars a month).

Until EVERYONE can get affordable internet access, digital downloads will not replace physical mediums. People prefer to have something physical in their hands. Retailers will cling to physical disks as long as possible as otherwise their products start disappearing. Many people don't have high speed internet access. A lot of places play movies for people in waiting rooms, and it would be a hassle to connect them to the internet.

Digital downloads will become popular, but they won't be replacing physical formats for a long time. Physical disks will always hold more because of bandwidth issues.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know Apple joined the Blu-ray Disc Association. I have not heard of them backing HD-DVD. Do you have an article or something to back this up?

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Apple never has been in the HD DVD forum, they are only in the Blu-Ray Association. In other words Apple doesn't back, support, or have anything to do with HD DVD.

HD DVD will be a thing of the past soon, the war is over. Read my past posts on why, and realize that they lost every exclusive studio they had to Blu-Ray.

See the images attached. The HD DVD ones are it (and short of Toshiba & M$, none shown are exclusive support).. the Blu-Ray ones are just a sample of the 170+ companies that support it.

Attached Files:

23. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Lets see - I looked at the companies in the image you attached
    Apple - done nothing yet
    Buena Vista - has released hd dvd already
    Dell - seems committed to Blu-Ray
    Fox - committed
    Hitachi - makes hd-dvd media
    HP - making a hd dvd laptop
    LG - making a dual format player, so is on both sides of the fence
    Lionsgate
    MGM
    Mitsubishi - makes hd dvd media
    Panasonic
    Paramount
    Philips
    Pioneer
    Samsung - obviously very committed to Blu-Ray!!!!
    Sharp - seem committed
    Sony - well it is their format
    Sony/BMG Sony again?
    Sony Pictures And again?
    Sun - getting bored now.....
    TDK
    Thomson
    Universal - releasing in hd dvd
    Disney
    Warner Bros - releasing in both formats

I'd have done them all, but it's getting boring.

Not all of the allies are married to Blu-Ray. The links above will show that. They're companies and will swing whichever way the wind blows - especially the movie and distribution companies who would be merely changing a format of distribution, and don't even have to go exclusive - they can distribute in both formats.

Personally I don't really care who wins. I have a slight preference for hd-dvd on the simple basis of the price of the media, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter that much.

Just get this format war over with and let us move on. It's going on longer than Iraqetnam!!

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

in 4-5 years time when somthing completely different is actually the real DVD medium successor, it' will put this silly pissing competition in proper perspective.

I have both formats, and just buy films I want - however at the moment I havent seen any films on BluRay I paticallary want. But if they are selling 2-1 all I can say is there are a lot of movie collections with some real detritus in them. "Crank" versus "Charlie & Choclate factory"? ..... Give me charlie anyday :D

But I stand by my postion - one may win 'the battle' but neither will win 'the war'.......... Same as Philips DCC & MiniDisc, where minidisc won the battle, - 4-5 years later MP3 won the war for digital portable dominance.

25. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Moving the subject back a bit closer to where it started, I actually see this as a detriment for Sony unless the adoption of Blu-ray is an important part of one of their other business plans.

Sony loses money on each PS3 they sell. They expect to make up for these losses with game sales (which, at least at the moment, are poor). If people are buying PS3s because they play Blu-ray, it may mean that they are not buying them because they play games. If this is true, the PS3 itself may sell well, and Blu-ray movies may sell well, but games may continue to sell poorly. This would cause Sony to lose more money than it ordinarily would because the unit to game ratio would be skewed (and that's to say nothing about the increased cost of the units from simply including the player).

For Sony's sake*, I would hope that either (1) people are not simply buying the PS3 to use as a cheap Blu-ray player, or (2) if they are, they decide they might as well use it to its full potential and buy a couple games to go along with it.

*Note: I don't own or plan on owning a PS3. They're too expensive for my taste, and are more console than I need. When they are more available in my region (or someone is willing to trade theirs for a Target gift card + cash), I will be picking up a Wii. I do hope that Sony doesn't totally lose their market presence with the PS3, though, because consumers need competition with MS in the high-end market to help drive performance gains.