Blu-ray vs HD DVD

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ifjake, Aug 17, 2004.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    after seeing this article i was wondering what the actual difference between the two formats of the future high definition media. i found this snippet posted by some guy named jimmy at the highdef message boards that explains them concisely and completely.

i was also reminded of sony's push for blu-ray when they stated that it is going to be in the next playstation.

i think HD DVD is the smarter choice. the technology behind it is both cost concious and more advanced. but i'm afraid Sony might muscle it's way in.
  2. sonyrules macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2001
    That really depends... BluRay tech is backed by more people than HD DVD, and HD DVD is going to be based on the aging MPEG2 standard. It really depends on the standard that bluray pics. There are pleanty of choices that have a better compression ratio and cleaner and accurate color picture. Blu Ray is backed my to many companies. I cant se them wasting money and tim on stuff, granted, sony has a large chunk, but theres Pioneer, Samsung and phillips just to mention a few. so.. I believe bluray will be around for a while.
  3. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
  4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Actually I was reading an article a week or two ago that said BD was considering the use of the AVC (mpg4 pt 10) for the codec as well. So then you would have the capacity of BD but with the more advanced codec so even more hours could fit on a 50gb+ disc.

I'll take a look for the article - think it was on though.
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Hmmm, Sony is trying to push another of it's proprietary formats on the market. This should be fun to watch. It's better be DAMN good, like the Walkman, and not like the HD-WN1 (or whatever that 'iPod killer' thing was called).
  6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there
    Blu-Ray is quickly losing flexability in choosing a compression format. Sony is already making Blu-Ray home vtrs in Japan, and any change now will render all those machines instantly obsolete. This would be a death knell for a newborn format.

My money says that they stay with MPEG2, and **maybe** offer a SUPER Blu-Ray version later that does better resolution in MPEG4 PT10. This would be SONY Style.

As far as the difference between the two.... It is much like Beta and VHS. Very little compatibility between the HD DVD and Blu-Ray formats. Even the discs are quite different. I don't have any thoughts on which will win.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    So is Blue-Ray based on MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 compression? There seems to be conflicting info in this thread.
  8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Theoretically it could be either and it's possible they just haven't decided yet. I'd bet it's going to be based on H.264 though
  9. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there

MPEG2 **IS** part of the current specification. The Japanese Machines are MPEG2. Later, this format can improve, and may use MPEG4 as well as other formats.

In short, Blu-Ray in America may be both MPEG2 and 4 compatible. Then again, DIVX may come into play..

10. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    yeah i believe the source for my first post was erronious. both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are using the MPEG2 H.264/AVC. the one that Jobs was touting as part of the new quicktime once tiger comes out. other formats are up for discussion. Blu-ray looks a little better now to me. we'll see how it goes.
  11. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I thought that HD-DVD was based on the Windows Media Player spec somewhere? This would be a bad thing for Mac users.

Maybe this means that Windows Media can PLAY HD-DVD but anything that is integrally linked to a Microsoft format spells bad news for Macs, Linux and the community at large.
  12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    So when can we expect to see an HD-DVD format player/media come out? I just bought an HDTV a few weeks ago and I have to say, the only time I can see what it can do is when I watch one of the five or six HD channels that Time Warner has and only three of them are in full 16x9 1080i as far as I know. Besides that, DVDs look really low res and grainy and standard cable looks pretty bad considering it is pretty bad on a regular TV. A few Xbox and PS2 games look pretty good, but for the most part it seems like my TV isn't good for much until HD starts to become an accepted standard.
  13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

Yeah, that pretty much says it. :)

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    My goodnes there is a lot of confusion here.

Ok lets clear up some misconceptions here. Too much confusion going on.

Blu Ray

Just announced the BD-ROM specification 1. This will offer MPEG2 of course but it also will have either VC-9(open version of WMV) or AVC "FRext" (Fidelity Range Extension). My guess is Blu Ray chooses AVC. Microsoft failed to provide VC-9 for additional testing and Sony seems high on AVC FRext. Also not how Microsoft has suddenly come out publically backing HD-DVD. I think they already know they lost Blu Ray to AVC.

BD-ROM has 25GB per layer. The spec 1 supports up to 2 layers for 50GB total space. Eventually Blu Ray may go to 4 layers for around 100GB support! Now you can see why HP,DELL, Samsung and others are more excited about Blu Ray. It offers a chance to hit it big in computing.

Will support MPEG2, AVC and VC-9. The discs are 15GB per layer up to two layers. HD-DVD is blue laser like Blu Ray but it's close enough to DVD production making it cheaper to produce.

Who wins?

Whoever gets the most major studio support. Blu Ray looks enticing because of the PC vendors supporting it but Hollywood doesn't give a damn about HP or Dell's needs. Hollywood is the one who needs to be wooed here. They want to make sure that the DRM is rock solid and that production costs are low. Technically Blu Ray is superior and Sony really has improved its chances for success by adding a high efficiency codec. Toshiba/NEC are really going to have to pull out all the stops to fend off Blu Ray. It matches them in everything but production costs but since it holds more data this may not even last. The Playstation 3 is going to have a Blu Ray drive in it as well. HD-DVD has a chance but really that chance is based on being cheaper. If Blu Ray is close then I think HD-DVD loses.
  15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    MacTheRipper is supposed to work with Blu-Ray.
  16. biederman macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2003
    H.264, MPEG-4 and AVC

This is probably a real dumb question, but... how are H.264, MPEG-4 and AVC related? I believe I heard that Apple will be adding support for the H.264 codec to the next version of Quicktime. This seems like a good thing since it appears both HD DVD and BluRay will support it. Does this mean that *both* of these formats/disks will be playable on a Mac (or PC for that matter) using Quicktime?
  17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    H.264 is an implementation of MPEG-4.

M$ is backing HD-DVD (basically second generation of DVD's, designed to hold enough data to store a High Def. DVD, thus HD-DVD) though i can't remember if they have an actual hand in designing the codecs etc. if they do, this could get ugly fast.

Blu-Ray DVD is more of a consortium of supporters with some huge big wig's pushing it (namely Sony for it's PS-3 as well as blu-ray dvd recorders in japan etc). They come in cartridges which has both pro's and cons, as does no cartridge.

My vote is for Blu-Ray as it has more headroom. HD-DVD seems like a far more short-sighted vision, basically trying to plug the gap in home entertainment and HD content availability. As someone said, his HDTV can't show it's capabilities, because he has no quality source content. This is why I've avoided the HDTV craze, because although your TV may have the capability, you really have very little to play, yet you're paying out the nose for the new tech. By 2006 I think all cable channels must have an HDTV feed thanks to the FCC. Blu-Ray would be able to handle an increase in resolution over current HDTV channels (which when you think about it, aren't all that high res.) while HD-DVD would need to be upgraded to HD-DVD2 or something.