Blu-Ray Wins.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GFLPraxis, May 13, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://gear.ign.com/articles/611/611380p1.html?fromint=1

Guess Blu-ray won out as the new High definition DVD format.
    This is pretty big news. That's the end of the format war. Apple chose the winning side.

Since it will have some of the advantages of HD-DVD and will remove the customer confusion, this is great for customers. My only reservation is that I've heard that the 0.1mm Blu-ray's scratch easier.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I wonder if this will make front page of MR. Anyway, it isn't clear that Blu-Ray won although it would seem that way.

Perhaps they can call it Blu-Ray HD HDVD. Or BRHD-DVD.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I expect they'll just call it HD-DVD. Sounds good. They were never released under the names HD-DVD or Blu-Ray so there is no conflict.

Of course I'm just guessing here.

I'm hoping it will make front page, I've never gotten front page before :D

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Not so fast...

Sorry, this was just a rumor. No settlement has actually been reached yet.

source

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Interesting, thanks.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if this is true it's definatly a good thing, we dont want annother betamax Vs VHS with dvd's

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Happy to hear that Apple is on the winning side. Now to see how long it will be before they adopt the new technology.

It is good that there will be just one standard. My fear still would be if they are going to allow backward compatibility.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

My prayers go out to the losers. In a war such as this, there is always an unfortunate loser.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Could one of them be us? :(

If our older equipment, CD's, and DVD's won't work, would be more than unfortunate.

The supporters of HD-DVD of course.

The big winner will be those selling the new technology.

10. minimax macrumors 6502

:D LOL Jerry Springer couldnt have said it better. Keep them coming Lacero ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i dont like the smell of that at all, backwards compatibility was the most important issue for me, right infront of storage capacity.

looks like ill be spending the next few years copying all my movie DVDs and mass archives of CDs to BluRay right?

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Of course not.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to see that Apple made the right call! Not that it's surprising of course. ;)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Uh, thought most, if not all, Blu Ray DVD players will come with both blue and red lasers, hence backwards compatible? What's the moaning about?

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

when i saw the blue ray discs in Japan, they had an annoying cassette like the old dvd-ram discs. Will the blue ray still have that?

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I can't imagine that would be the case - it would be a step back in time - besides, you still want to be able to put these in a DVD player - I can't imagine you're going to see movies come in a cassette like that. The cost alone for the extra material and manufacturing will prevent it from happening.

D

17. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

It's surprising that they came to a compromise - I thought they'd fight to the death. How mature of them. Corporate maturity. LOL. Let's hear what THE DONALD has to say.

18. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Exactly, COST! A dvd is very cheap to maufacture and ship, but once you start having plastic casing built around it, it gets more costly than anything else. I'm almost surprized they didn't go with an even smaller wavelengh laser. If a 450nm (I'm assuming they mean blue as in blue) laser does so much for capacity, what about... 400nm or 300nm? Surely there is some element that has that range as a meta stable state.

19. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

not really, if these things corrupt data as easy as they should(by being scratched), then a protective case would make complete sense.

Plus what's the big deal? It's not like the case would be 10inches thick, it would probablly be barely thicker then the disc itself.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So even if this has been agreed upon, when will we effectively see these things in the marketplace as far as Joe Consumer is concerned?

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

By all indications, the average household is going to start becoming digital. Those DVDs on your shelf will soon be moved to a central hard drive that will hold music, movies, pictures and other digital information. Combine that with functions similar to that which Tivo already does and you are going to have a ton of information stored in one place. Something like BluRay is going to be a necessity for backing that information up.

When you take into consideration the space that formats like High Definition and SACD will take up, it seems like BluRay will be just a start, at its current capacity.

I can imagine a time when buying a DVD is replaced with downloading one. In fact, everything that is available currently in the format that can be played using a digital reading device will probably be replaced with the ability to download it to a hard drive.

In the near future, Apple is going to have to increase the quality of the music downloads that it offers, to attract the full spectrum of music consumers.

In order for that, both Hard Drives and backup media is going to have to increase substantially.

MS is already pushing the Xbox 360 as an entertainment hub. Though it lacks the storage capacity to be a true entertainment hub.

A true entertainment hub will be the machine that holds all of the information and is able to distribute in many different formats.

Companies like Netflix will either have to adapt or be usurped by those who will offer movies practically instantly as a download or direct connection. No waiting for movies in the mail, you'll have instant access to media.

Makes for an interesting business model given the cost savings. The difference in cost between owning and renting decreases a lot.

Regardless, the amount of information that is going to be digitized seems to challenge the abilities of what is needed from formats like Blu Ray before it even hits the market. Blu Ray must have much more in the pipeline.

This is all pure speculation of course. But then, Steve coined the Digital Lifestyle term and seems to have a very good understanding of where things are going. It's not surprising he made the right choice. Seems like a good investment opportunity.

Apple Computers may essentially become Digital Libraries with a user friendly interface. Actually, they've been moving in that direction for a while now. The possibilities are endless.

22. the future macrumors 6502a

1. The "war" is far from over. In Fact, Toshiba (main HD-DVD proponent) just introduced a new triple layer HD-DVD-ROM that holds up to 45 GB, thus closing the gap to Blu Ray's dual layer 50 GB ROMs. Actually, there seems to be a fight within Toshiba over unifying with Blu Ray vs. going head to head.

2. Blu Ray got rid of the cartridge some time ago. With a new hardcoating from TDK Blu Ray discs will be much more scratch resistant and durable than DVDs.

3. We should hope for Blu Ray to win, simply because it is designed to be a prerecorded video format as well as a computer data storage format. There will be 50 GB Blu Ray recordable discs from the start, and compatibility issues like DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW/-RAM had will be non-existant. HD-DVD, on the other hand, is not really designed to be recordable; there will be recorders, but HD-DVD-R was more of an afterthought and will only be single-layered, thus holding only up to 15 GB.

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We're not referring to Blu-ray defeating HD-DVD, Toshiba and Sony are in negotiations to merge the formats. The article I quoted above said that they had reached an agreement, but someone else posted an article where Sony and Toshiba denied that. But they are in talks.

24. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Will blue-ray drives require a lot of connection speed. eg: they need FW800 or :confused: