Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Forget blue lasers, I think Holographic DVDs will creep under the radar and become the new standard. This petty war will cost both those greedy companies money and face. HAhaha.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Diatribe said:
I don't know, just noticed that a lot of people didn't read the entire thread but rather just posted, which happens a lot nowadays. Just picked you, could have been anyone. :p

Ah, alright then, thanks for the clarification, it's all good... I probably would have done the same to you... ;)

powermac666 said:
You guys really need to get a room. :eek: :D :rolleyes: :D

Are you suggesting myself and Diatribe follow suit with what you and many others have done? It seems like there must be a big "party" going on in that blue room you all seem to be residing in nowadays... :p ;) :cool:

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
To be fair I was under the impression that Apple was effectively backing both formats with no obvious swaying one way or the other.

This assumption of mine was through reading posts dating back weeks/months, they're around here somewhere!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
I actually preferred the use of a cartridge in Blu-Ray. Anyone that has Netflix can tell you that DVD's are way too fragile for anything but the most careful handling and care. They scratch too easily.

I understand that Blu-Ray will use some sort of "hard coating" on the discs to elimiinate the need for a cartridge, but I strongly believe that they won't be as durable as media inside a hard plastic case, like minidiscs. THOSE are some durable discs!

Anyway, it seems like no agreement actually happened. Therefore, format war it is. :(

EDIT: I wonder if manufacturers will make players that support both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD? That would avoid a war in general. Much like the whole DVD-R and DVD+R thing. Here's hoping...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yeah, the whole competeing formats thing is plain stupid, much like the same area being covered by five different mobile phone networks when one woulod do the job at a fraction of the cost if the providers teamed up, i suppose thats the cost of capitalism...

anyway, one format will win pretty quickly, personally i own two dvd's (well one film and one box set of firefly) so it's a non issue, the xbox 360 will probably have a HD dvd player by the time i get one unless it dies before the standard is even out thier which is suspect is what is going to happen.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
jrv3034 said:
EDIT: I wonder if manufacturers will make players that support both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD? That would avoid a war in general. Much like the whole DVD-R and DVD+R thing. Here's hoping...

I'm sure we'll have CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM/BluRay/HD-DVD combo drives eventually.

Personally I'm cheering for BluRay. I got a feeling that the PS3's use of BlueRay will tip the scale very much in their favor.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
jrv3034 said:
I actually preferred the use of a cartridge in Blu-Ray. Anyone that has Netflix can tell you that DVD's are way too fragile for anything but the most careful handling and care. They scratch too easily.

I understand that Blu-Ray will use some sort of "hard coating" on the discs to elimiinate the need for a cartridge, but I strongly believe that they won't be as durable as media inside a hard plastic case, like minidiscs. THOSE are some durable discs!

Supposedly the new generation of hard coats will make these discs much more durable than DVDs. It's also important to note that requiring a cartridge would have a significant impact on costs, particularly the media itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.