Blue and White can't boot from CD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GbV76, Feb 17, 2004.

1. GbV76 macrumors member

A friend of mine was just given a blue & white G3 350 with 10.1 on it. He wants to upgrade to 10.3, but the computer won't boot from the install CD. The CD reads just fine, but when you try and boot from it, a folder with an alternating question mark/finder icon appears. Eventually it boots back up from the hard drive. Holding the "C" key produces the same results. Anyone have any ideas? I have a G4 iMac....and an iPod....could we boot from either of these and install from there? (the ipod would be easier). Anyone know why it won't boot from the CD? Help!

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

all I can think of or say is that it must not be the original optical drive that they have. that is what you need to be able to boot a cd. in my powermac I have to swap out the cdrw for the original rom drive if I need to cd boot. to avoid doing this though I have a second hd with an identical copy of panther and boot from that to run utilities on my main boot hd. so I only ever need to use the original rom to install an os. since that is what you need the only way is to get a rom that will boot or take the hd out, put it in another comp. and install there.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Try zapping the PRAM. I had a similar problem once and that did the trick.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I forgot to mention that my blue and white was a G3 350 also before I upgraded it. I ran panther on it for about a month before the upgrade.

panther was so much nicer on the 350 than 10.1 or 10.2. the 2D boost alone made it seem more like a real computer rather than a bogged down old one.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I dont know much about this type of thing but dosent the cd drive have to be set on master instead of slave or somthing like that for it to work

6. babuppa macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm the friend who (never worked with any MAC's before) has problems with the CD Instalation. Would it help if I install a second HDD and install 10.3 on that one, is this a viable solution? Then, say I reformat the first HDD and try to install the 10.3 that way. Any new ideas?
    Thanks in advance