Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunnar23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Guys if anyone could help, I have a Blue and White G3 and just to play around I tried to install XSERVER on it, it worked but really slow.
So I tried to wipe it out and go back to Panther but I could not get it to boot from the CD.
My gues is that XSERVER must of changed the firmware or something like that.
I also replace the HD and tried to boot from OSX cd again but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Gunnar

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I assume you mean OSX Server.

I think whatever your problem is must be a coincidence, because as far as I know OSX Server doesn't mess with the firmware at all. There are three things you might try, if you haven't already:

1) Put the CD in before restarting, and select it in the Startup Disk Pref pane.
2) If that doesn't work, try resetting the PRAM and see if it will recognize the CD to boot from then.
3) If that doesn't work, I can only think that it's having some trouble recognizing the optical drive or the CD in it as a startup disk--perhaps try a different CD to boot it from?

gunnar23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
1) Put the CD in before restarting, and select it in the Startup Disk Pref pane. I tried this and it did not work.

How do I reset the PRAM?

Thanks,

G

gunnar23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Just found this on Apple's website, is this what I need to do, and what will resetting the PRAM do?

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Thanks!

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
For the record, I have a B&W that used to be on 24/7, but now only turn on once every few weeks.

I can't start it up without wiping the PRAM (parameter RAM btw - it stores some info about your computer, such as the time). I found out this is because the battery in it is dead, so it keeps trying to access the parameters at startup and doesn't receive an answer. It's no real hassle, you just lose the date and time and have to press the key combination every time is starts up.

Once every blue moon it just starts up normally without having to use that trick, though, so that might be why you had no problem with OS X server at first.

Best of luck.

gunnar23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Thanks for your help guys, i fixed the issue, it was that my DVD-Rom died, it must of died right after the install of OSX server, I replace the drive and installed Panther and I am back in business.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.