Blue and white, the switch

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stevey500, Sep 8, 2004.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Ok I have been borrowing a g3 500 for a while.. I dont want to screw it up by installing photoshop and things cause I have to give it back in 3 days., I am a PC user but I really like the mac so far and I decided to order a g3 500 and upgrade it, it comes with 1gb ram, 2 hard drives and dvd burner (my sig) I want to upgrade it with an 800mhz g4 zif, the b/w ships tomomrow morning. I was wondering how well this machine will run photoshop CS, I mainly work with 3.3mp jpg images. Will I be able to watch DVDs ? It comes with an ati rage 16mb video card that I want to upgrade to an ATI 9200. I would also like to know how tall the case is to see if it will fit in my shelf on my desk by my pc case. Will I be able to run a webserver on it great? What about iTunes? Im guessing it wont be that great for video encoding compared to my p4 1.6ghz PC.. :rolleyes: Will this Mac be good for me for a while? I will mainly be using it for school. Thanks!

2. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yeah and... will it support pc133 ram ? Will it just run at pc100 or will it just reject the ram all together?

3. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

If you do those upgrades everything will be fine. Adobe Photoshop will rum create and same with all the others. Good Luck!

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It will use (most) PC133 RAM. Be careful, some of the newer stuff is high-density, and im not sure that the B&W supports it.

Everything else you said is right. It should work fine for those small 3.3MB files and should play DVDs with the Rage 128 or 9200.

5. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! I cant wait till it comes! If its I really like editing and music on mac, im probly going to save up for a new g4 or g5 for my primary computer.. !! :) But is there anyone out there that has a g3 b/w tower they would like to measure so I can make sure it will fit into a shelf on my new desk? Because I have the one i am borrowing all boxed up and ready to give back...

6. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Just picked up a B&W to use as a server and its becomming my daily machine. Im going to do an 800MHz G4 upgrade and the Radeon 9200.

Also im going with 4 250GB SATA HDDs for storage and have an LG 8x Dual Layer DVD-RW in there too. That should make this machine useful for a few more years and wont break the bank getting me there.

7. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

YAY!! Its comming friday!! :p I pulled a 60gb hard drive from my xbox, its a western digital, its formatted in xfs xbox file system, does panther have a utility to format it to mac file system??

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Having had a PowerMac G3/400 for 5 years, I can tell you that it will work adequately for most things. I still use mine but several months ago, I upgraded to a G3/800 processor and it could still use a Radeon 9200 video card too. I have some PC133 RAM in mine right now, but it's a couple of years old.

I run graphic design applications on it mostly and it seems fine. Some games from 2-3 years ago run okay but can sometimes be a bit unsteady. It's been much better with the new processor.

Yes, you can use Disk Utility to re-format that hard drive.

Hope you enjoy yours.