Blue Angels jet crashes during air show, killing aviator

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skoker, Apr 21, 2007.

1. macrumors 68000

skoker

Yet again I get to be the bearer of bad news:

Here's the latest update:

[​IMG]

It's a rush transcript looks like, because that guy's last name goes from Poop to Popp.

RIP to the victim and my condolences to the family.

2. macrumors 6502

So incredibly sad. I may not be the biggest fan of the military (or rather what it's being used for), but seeing the Blue Angels fly is a breathtaking experience.

3. Moderator emeritus

sushi

RIP to the pilot.

Glad no one else on the ground was killed.

When doing maneuvers like the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds do, there is very little reaction time when something goes wrong. Gut feeling is either an altitude error or an engine stall/failure.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

Early things I've heard from people who were at the show is that they suspect a bird ingestion, due to a high migratory bird content in the area today, but taken with a grain of salt as things of this nature need to be.

5. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds reasonable.

The more articles that I read, what I gather is the plane lost power and the pilot probably tried to direct it towards a less crowded/dense area to crash hitting a tree along the way.

I remember being on some high risk flights and airshow demonstrations, if something goes wrong, those on the ground come first. Not being noble. Just the way most military pilots think -- at least the ones that I've been around and flown with over the years.

This example comes to mind when a Thunderbird pilot made an altitude error. This picture was taken at less than one second before impact. I have a couple of videos of this incident including the cockpit one. This guy stayed with his aircraft until the last possible second (eight-tenths of a second before impact) to avert hitting anything including the control tower which is where the photographer was standing that took the picture.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 6502a

johnee

that's an incredible photo.

Sad to hear this news.

(
    God I feel sorry for this guy as well)

7. Moderator emeritus

sushi

All kinds of images come to mind.

That's what happens when they want to be the first to release the story. Names and facts can get messed up.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

I guess:

[​IMG]

Anyways, the typo has been corrected on CNN.

9. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just seeing if you were paying attention! ;)

And it looks like you are I am glad to see! :)

Glad to see.

Now, should I edit my post?

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

Sad bunch we are, some poor guy dies and we are making fun of CNN's comical misspelling of a witnesses last name.

11. macrumors G4

dmw007

A tragedy to be sure, but at least no one else was killed. Imagine if the jet would have crashed into a house or office building. :eek:

12. Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess is that he suffered a power loss and was trying to avoid homes and such until the last second.

13. macrumors 68030

joepunk

It's a normal reaction to very tragic news. For me it's a way of comfort and we all need to laugh sometimes even during the worst of things.

14. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh how I love that. It was the "birds" that were in the way, and pose a problem for the jets flying in the area. Guess what? Humans don't naturally fly. If anyone is in the way, we're the ones posing problems to birds.

15. macrumors G3

Counterfit

This has been a pretty ****** week. :(

16. Moderator emeritus

sushi

According to the latest article that I've read, it will be three weeks before they release the possible cause of the crash.

17. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I heard he clipped the top of a pine tree, but its worth noting we have a lot of buzzards in the area he went down. Turns out its a deer crossing and they get hit all the time then the buzzards feed on the roadkill. This happened a few blocks from me.

18. macrumors 601

63dot

being a "huge" fan of the military and military history, but not of this war in iraq, i also agree that seeing the blue angels is amazing, freakin' amazing...they were doing practice moves just above my house not too long ago

while it's rather rare for this type of accident, it's always a possibility every time they go up and it's very sad

it's very strange that it takes a very special officer to be a blue, yet they do what they do for practically nothing...just the pay of their rank and then a little extra, compared to a friend of mine who has a brother that was a long time major league baseball, prima donna and world series star who made more than all the blues put together for 3 decades...yes, i did the math

...and he never once risked his life...well, outside of psycho female baseball fans who may charge him in the parking lot, but that's another thread

anyway, these guys and gals in the blues and thunderbirds are a real promotion team for pilots and aviators, in general, for the armed forces

19. macrumors member

This is sad, I highly admire the Blue Angels. I wanted to go down and see the show since I live in the upstate but was actually up in the air around the same time the crash occured in a glider. I hate reading about Aviators that go down.

20. macrumors regular

you live in Beaufort? i dont live far at all from where the plane went down...i could actually see it from my dock. i saw a burst of black smoke right over the trees from the sixth plane after flying real low. real sad i always watched them when they came from town from the yard/dock. sad...

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm sure we all do, but keep in mind, these pilots accept the risks of performing possibly the most hazardous flying duties in all of aviation. They live to push the envelope.

22. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

A terrible tragedy - it has indeed been a bad week.

Fortunately, nobody on the ground was killed, but one fatality is one too many...:(

I too have watched these demonstration teams and it's a truly breathtaking experience, made even more amazing when you consider the skills and risks involved.

23. macrumors member

I used to live near Annapolis and seeing the Blue Angels perform is truly a breathtaking experience. My sympathies to the families and friends of the brave pilot.

And I think I'm going to agree with everyone else about the events of the past week.:(