"Blue" Companies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dotnina, Dec 22, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Columnist Mark Morford has an interesting article today about which companies donate to Republicans and which donate to Democrats.

I was a little amazed to see how many companies gave money to political parties. There’s a list at BuyBlue.org. Quite a few surprises there – companies that I would have guessed would support Democrats (i.e., Target and Amazon.com) actually gave a lot to the GOP.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

What a great article, thanks for posting it. Team Blue needs to start working together if we are going to get anywhere in the future. It's nice to see that things are getting organized again, this is definately going to influence who I purchase products from.

Though it baffles me as to why Fast food outlets like Taco Bell would be for the GOP. Don't they know who buys their food like stuff.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They also know who regulates their food like stuff.

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Ah, I didn't think you could go lower than triple 'E' grade beef. Silly me.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

when she was in college, my sister worked in the cafeteria in her dorm. she reported to me the boxes which read, "grade D but edible".

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It is an interesting list, but note that it only covers campaign donations during the last election cycle. I'd be interested to see the same kind of lists for previous election cycles (more to the point: when it was a Democratic incumbent and not a Republican). I don't have a particular theory in mind, I'm just curious about how (if) that changes things.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I've come to enjoy cooking my own food, it's as cheap and I know what is in it.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Actually, you may be surprised to know that the fast food outfits get the highest-quality and the safest beef and chicken for their food. I read that in Fast Food Nation. I'd quote it, but I haven't got a copy on me.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I would be surprised to find that out. I was under the impression that fast food places helped keep costs down by buying less-than-prime meat.

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I always thought it was pressed together pieces and parts!

I was a BK manager in the early 80's, and wether or not the processing of the meat, and or the meat is of quality, how it is handled at the store makes it a mute point.

Interestingly my wife bought some Hienz Katchup recently! OMG!!! :D

(yes i know H wanted to stay out of the whole mess, and probably even gave more to W, who knows, just a bit of a joke).

PS My wife just came down the steps and asked for the 1000th time "Is she PRETTY?" ie, why is he spending so much time on the forums?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's OK Stu, I went to Home Depot this weekend and bought stuff there. That should more than cancel out any ill effects of your Heinz purchase.

And does it surprise anyone that corporations tend to give more heavily to the GOP? They are the party more in tune with big business after all...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

is a castrated ram: is this what you meant??
    Moot. Moot. Moot. How many times? Tsk, tsk! :rolleyes:

I give up, honestly! :D

I get a lot of that, too! :)

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i will question my sister about her story.

15. Zaid macrumors 6502

When I was at Uni, i once saw a truck delivering meat to our hall canteen. The boxes had printed on them: "Fit for human consumption" :eek:

I had the vegetarian option for the rest of the week ;)

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

So there is no such thing as USDA Grade A Beef? I am sure meat quality is graded in some manner.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

From my snopes link:

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Interesting information, but they shouldn't put $19,000 contributions on the same list as $2m contributions. Also, it looks incomplete to me - no banks contributed? No defense companies? No wall street firms? Etc etc.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I wonder if that is a recent change.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's just offal.

(Sorry.) :eek:

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A moo point... you know, like a cow. It's moo. No, seriously though... it's moot, I know. Mute, that made me smile. :)

On topic though, so much for campaign finance reform? For some reason, I have a problem with companies being able to buy candidates. Bad enough they give contracts to their buddies. I mean, if Heinz became the official ketchup used by the goverment under a Kerry Presidency, I'd think it would be conflict of interest.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i must have misremembered; my sister never worked in the cafeteria, it was her friend.

of course, this has all the makings of an urban legend, but i will hold out for one more bit of information. i know this friend (dated her, actually, which annoyed my sister), and will have to ask her when i next see her if it was actually her (the friend) who saw this box, or if she just heard about it.

hope that made sense.

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

We're going to start buying products based on political affilliation? Why don't we just force everyone to wear a patch on their clothing stating their political party? That way we'll be able to tell who is a good person and who is a bad person.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why don't we ban political contributions from corporations? That way we'll be able to end the legalised bribery that passes for government in the US.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you support the right of those who want to boycott FDS for not saying "Merry CHRISTmas"? How do you feel about blood diamonds? Was the boycott of aparteid South Africa akin to wearing a patch saying which side of the matter you were on?

I'm not sure why you would argue against freedom of choice. You even have the freedom to decide that boycotts are stupid and you want no part in them, but they have been effective as instruments of change for a long time. I see no reason to tell people they should be forced to buy or support any person or group that they don't want to.

And aren't you being a little overly dramatic with your 'good person/bad person' line there? Which side is 'good' and which is 'bad'?