Blue on CRT is not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by me hate windows, Feb 1, 2006.

1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Jan 18, 2002
    Hi, I just picked up another LaCie electron19blueIII to go with my other one that I already have. The guy was selling it because the colors were all messed up. It was only $15, so I bought it thinking I might be able to get the monitor calibrated and use it with my other one. After trying to calibrate it on the monitor and my computer, I have come to the conclusion that the blue electron beam(whatever you call it) is not working. Anything that is white gives shows as yellow and anything pure blue shows as black. I have tried it on a Mac, PC, Xbox, and Xbox 360, they all do the exact same thing. I also made a simple RGB image in Fireworks to make sure. The red and green are perfect, just how they are supposed to be, but the blue just shows up as black, and when you turn off the computer, the color check screen comes up on the monitor, and the blue part just shows up black, while the red and green are fine.
    I don't think any amount of calibrating is going to do anything at all. I have attached a picture I took of the Fireworks RGB image. The LaCie is on the left, and a Viewsonic PS790 is on the right. I took it with my cell phone, so the colors look a little weird, but I hope this gives you an idea.
    If I can't get this fixed, it was only 15 bucks out of my pocket. Any help would be appreciated.:)

Attached Files:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think that the fact that the colors are messed up (no blue) even when the monitor is not connected strongly suggest that you have a monitor useful mainly for close-up shots of the sun and active volcanoes.

AFAIK, there's only one electron beam, but whatever circuitry feeds in the blue values must be disconnected or fried.

CRT's can pack lethal (really) current inside, so please don't try to fix it yourself.
  3. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Jan 18, 2002
    Yeah, I am aware of the electrocution threat, so I don't want to open it up. Maybe if I whack it a few times it will work.:p Well, whacking it didn't work.:(
  4. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Jan 18, 2002
    One other thing that I just noticed as I was fiddling with it, is that when you degauss, right when you push the button, the whites show up pure white, but slowly go back to yellow as the screen settles back down. Does anyone know anything about anything that would cause that?